December 14, 2022

God With Us by Sharon Heagy

 



When I read, read and re-read this month’s theme my mind kept going to one place – crisis. But it’s Christmas, I reasoned. Nobody wants to hear about crisis at Christmas. But crisis is when I always sense the presence of the Lord. More than at any other time.

Like when my sons faced trouble, mostly as a result of their own choices, God was there. Tough times on the farm when funds were short and debts were high, God was there. During back-to-back surgeries for my husband and myself during a pandemic. God’s presence was tangible to the point of almost overwhelming. 

In times of death and loss. Loss of my faith filled Father-in-Law when we were young and farmed together. My big brother, followed 8 months later by my wonderful Mom. The tragic loss of a two-year-old daughter of dear friends when I needed to find words for the eulogy. My Mom in law, my own dear Dad and most recently my caring brother-in-law. God was there.

Yes, I know God is always there, but I am talking of times when there is supernatural strength and peace, like being entirely covered by a cloak of comfort. A sense of protection, well-being and calm that cannot be explained. Heavenly guidance that strengthens each step. Wisdom that provides the right words to say and the right time to say them. Such overwhelming presence, so close that you could almost swear you can feel His heartbeat. It’s amazing.

This gave me pause. Why? Why do I have such extraordinary experiences in times of trouble? I sense His presence other times, ordinary daily grind times but this is different. The answer is simple. It’s because I seek Him more earnestly, more desperately when chaos is afoot. What a revelation!

Yet, why don’t I seek out His presence like this more. Apparently, this is going to take lots of training, to find Him and to be desperate for that heartbeat all the time. 

This reminds me of some of the events of Christmas. The shepherds leaving field and flock to seek Him. The Magi, leaving home and family, following a star, seeking…Him.   They wanted to see Him. They needed to see Him. Yet, once they saw Him, once they found Him, did their passion wane like mine? Who knows? God knows, He was there.

My prayer for each of you this Christmas season is that God will ignite a fire within that becomes an all-consuming desire to seek Him, without the chaos. Without the crisis. May you come close enough to hear His heartbeat. Merry Christmas.

8 comments:

  1. Thank you, dear Sharon, for the following words we can all relate to: "It’s because I seek Him more earnestly, more desperately when chaos is afoot."
    Yes, may we "...seek Him without the chaos."
    Blessings of extra comfort as you grieve a loss and continue to seek God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruth Keighley9:09 am GMT-7

      Thanks for the crucial reminder. I too, experience God in an amazing way during hard times. Maybe during those times he surrounds us with his comforting angels and we sense his presence more.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Wendy and Ruth for your kind comments. Merry Christmas.

      Delete
  2. This is beautiful Sharon. God is always with us, even in times of despair and tragedy. Blesssings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Tracey! Wishing you and yours a very Merry Christmas. Thanks for your encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a poignant reminder of God being with us. That theme has been prominent for me this Christmas, and I've been journalling what that means for me--in good and not-so-good times. Thanks for your encouraging words. May God comfort you and yours in this season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Sandi, and may peace, joy and wonderful amazement be part of your Christmas this year.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for sharing about crisis and chaos. As you point out, there is a lot of crisis and chaos in the 1st Christmas story. Beauty comes out of ashes.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.