December 21, 2022

Home For the Holidays - Tracy Krauss

I've always loved Christmas and everything the season brings. Once I became a Christian, the holiday became even better as I focused more on the miracle of Jesus' birth. However, Christmas was also a very busy time. My husband and I are both the babies of large families, so for many years we never spent Christmas at home, even once we were married and had children. We always stayed at my husband's sister's house from Christmas Eve through Boxing day and went to one of my siblings for New Year. We were the ones who had "moved away", so it was always up to us to travel to be with family. It was usually a two-week extravaganza of living out of suitcases and carting gifts from place to place. Fun but exhausting.

That changed in 1995 when we moved to B.C. from Saskatchewan. We had lived far away before and had made the trip, but this time it was different. A two-day journey in the dead of winter with four children just didn't seem feasible, especially when my husband didn't get that many days off and we couldn't afford to fly.


As it turns out, that first Christmas "alone" became a pivotal point in our lives. Even though we loved and missed our extended family, it was so wonderful to wake up on Christmas morning and be able to revel in our children's delight without all the rest of the frenzy that normally went with it. 
It was cozy and intimate. Reverent, almost. We could focus on the faith aspect of the season and start our own traditions. It was also the year my husband bought a puppy for Christmas - a beautiful malamute/wolf cross that grew to be a beloved member of the family. (And grew and GREW!)

That was more than twenty-seven years ago. In that time I only traveled back to Saskatchewan once for Christmas when my husband was working away and all my children but one were elsewhere. (That's what happens when they grow up and get married.) That year, in 2008, we had just moved to Tumbler Ridge, so my son and I flew to Regina. For several years after that, various children came to our house in TR for the holidays, bringing their little ones.

And then... the cycle continued. 

My daughters expressed how they wanted to start their own family traditions in their own homes, especially on Christmas morning. So, after twenty-odd years of hosting my immediate family for Christmas, I relinquished the reins, (graciously, I hope!) and now get invited to one of their homes for the holidays. We had come full circle. 

I remembered how my own mom had done this same thing way back when I was still a teen. My older siblings had started their own families by then and so we usually went to one of their homes for Christmas. My mom was very gracious like that. She didn't fuss or expect people should come to her. She realized, for a variety of reasons, it was easier and better if we went to them. 


And so it goes. I am grateful to live fairly close to all my children. (Within a two-hour radius.) Depending on the year, we've driven somewhere either Christmas Eve or Christmas Day, but mostly I enjoy staying close to home and visiting after the frenzy has taken place. 

Since that pivotal Christmas in 1995, Jesus has been and remains the centerpiece of our holiday, not just an add-on. I look back at the days of "hoopla" with fond memories, but wouldn't change our stay-at-home Christmases for anything. 

Tracy Krauss enjoys Christmas and writing in beautiful Tumbler Ridge, BC, where she lives with her sweetheart of forty years. 

14 comments:

  1. Dear Tracy, what a cozy post and a lovely picture of you and the little one.
    Your gracious attitude towards family celebrations is a light to us all. You've reminded us that Christmas is about love--God with us--first, second, and last.
    Blessings on your Christmas and New Years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wendy. I want to take this opportunity to thank you for doing such an amazing job as the blog moderator! You are a gift!

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed your post, Tracy, as you traced your family traditions through the years. I loved hearing how they shifted and flowed so gracefully into what was needful at each stage of life. Something I'm grateful for as well in our own family, when each one exhibited grace and adaptability when old traditions had to morph into new ones.

    Wishing you and yours a Happy Christmas! Brenda xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the way you phrased that: "old traditions morph into new ones." So true. Many blessings to you, friend!

      Delete
  3. PS. What a sweet photo of you and your little grand!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alan Anderson5:45 pm GMT-7

    Thank you. Tracy, for this enjoyable Christmas blessing in words. There is much I could say about this post but will make it brief. I am a huge fan of stay-at-home Christmas. My daughter and her family moved to Windsor, Ontario in September so Christmas will be different this year. I love the photo of you and your little guy and it brings back so many memories. Blessings and Merry Christmas to you and your beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alan. I wish many blessings on you and yours this season.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for sharing how your family has morphed with the time--you speak for all of us as we've experienced changes. How meaningful that one thing is constant: "Jesus has been and remains the centerpiece of our holiday." Lovely photo of you and your grandchild!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandi, and many blessings my friend!

      Delete
  6. Thank you, Tracy, for your reflections on Christmas. Recognizing that change is inevitable and that we can choose to change with grace is an important part of family life.
    My post tomorrow reflects on much the same theme.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful picture of the circle of life. My heart is warmed by your post and the pictures it creates of your wonderful family

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is quite the transition when our children invite us to THEIR homes for Christmas! Thank you for sharing Tracy!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.