December 20, 2022

Cancer at Christmas by Alan Anderson

 


Cancer News

 

“You have cancer.” These three words were directed at my wife five years ago, in October 2017. I remember my first thought after this message penetrated my brain. “No, not again!”

 

 

Christmas 2017 soon settled in on us. We experienced a sense of peace stronger than our upset. Here is a response to how we processed our cancer reality in the 2017 Christmas season.

 

“By faith, I recognize trials give evidence that even in this experience my wife is going through, we can rejoice together. This is not saying that we think cancer is good or that I am happy my wife has cancer. I can say we can be joyful, for God knows all about it. This trial has not taken God by surprise. He has given us assurance of his love and comfort in a very real way.”

https://www.blogger.com/blog/post/edit/37258556/7108807865702777159

 

 

Thank God for Healing

 

In mid-November 2017, a friend at church gave us some healing oil he had brought from the Holy Virgin Cathedral in San Francisco. Terry’s cancer experience included a bleeding issue we were concerned about. We used the oil as a step of faith and prayed God would heal her. The next morning, the bleeding stopped, never to return. We didn’t try to explain it but accepted it as from God. His love, mercy, and will are stronger than our skepticism.

 

 

On January 8, 2018, Terry had surgery to arrest her uterine cancer. Her surgeon presented himself as a compassionate healer. Thanks be to God, Terry’s surgery lasted only thirty-five minutes. Prior to the operation, the surgeon informed me it would take anywhere from forty-five to ninety minutes. Even the surgeon was surprised at the surgery’s duration.

 

To date, Terry has been cancer free for almost five years. We do not take this measure of healing for granted. Instead, we thank God for His love and mercy on us.

 

A Reflection

 

In times of personal struggle, I retreat to the ever-ready embrace of poetry. Here is a poem I wrote as my reflection of Terry’s cancer experience.

 

 

Cancer At Christmas: a husband’s poem for his wife

 

The news is more than sad, but this year

we celebrate Christmas,

not cancer.

 

I will be honest in my heart,

share cries and whimpers,

feel numb,

shake a fist at heaven.

 

My head held up only by my hands,

offers you, my love, who brings me this news,

a face wet with tears,

frozen fear.

 

Why God, I ask, would there be cancer

at Christmas? Help me, I pray, help

my darling.

 

My love—you amaze me.

Yes, you live.

Yes, we live.

 

We hang decorations, drink eggnog,

romance each other, your words slipping

out like healing hands, touching me,

but it’s me who wants to support you.

 

We celebrate Christmas,

not cancer. In this together,

we hold on.

 

Never let go of the moment,

any moment.

 

This illness will not be forever.

We have peace, stillness.

 

So, my love, sleep like a baby

in the arms of He who loves us.

God is not dumbfounded,

by this fiend,… cancer.

 

Joy is our companion.

We weep, yes,

Yet we rejoice. We are not alone.

 

Immanuel, God with us,

Is unseen yet present.

 

Let Him love us.

Let me hold you, my love, you, not cancer.

This year,

 We celebrate Christmas.

 

 

Dear Reader Friends

If you or a loved one are living with an illness, please know you are not alone. Your illness, your tears, do not take God by surprise. Dear ones, not even cancer can separate us from the love of God.




 

Alan lives in Deroche, B.C. with his wife, Terry, and their poodle, Charlie. He contributed stories to Good Grief People by Angel Hope Publishing, 2017; Story by Story: The Power of a Writer, Unstoppable Writers Publishing, 2018; Easter Stories & More by InScribe Christian Writers’ Fellowship, 2021. He is currently working on a book expressing the grief of grieving grandparents entitled Hidden Poetic Voices: A Reflective Work of Grief, Faith, and Poetry. Alan periodically writes articles for FellowScript Magazine. He has written posts for our InScribe blog since 2015. Blog: https://scarredjoy.ca.


13 comments:

  1. I love, love, love your poem and the fact Terry has been cancer free for five years now.
    Thank you, Alan, for sharing this touching testimony about God's Presence and power in the midst of a not so merry trial.
    Yes, "nothing can separate us from the love of God."
    Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alan Anderson5:05 pm GMT-7

      Hi Wendy! Thank you for such encouragement. I'm happy you love my poem. Yes, Terry being cancer free is a wonderful God blessed gift. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

      Delete
  2. Ruth Keighley8:55 am GMT-7

    Thanks so much for writing such an encouraging blog. I appreciate your honesty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alan Anderson5:07 pm GMT-7

      Hello Ruth. Thank you for taking time to comment on my post. Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  3. Your poem was so heartfelt, Alan. I remember hearing about Terry's cancer at the time on the blog. It was the same year as my heart attack and subsequent surgery. But... God was faithful to both of us. God is so good! I love the photo of you two, as well. I remember, with fondness, meeting you and Terry in person at the 2019 conference in Edmonton. Many blessings to you and yours as we launch into 2023.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alan Anderson5:17 pm GMT-7

    Dear Tracy! Yes, I remember you had a heart attack at the time. Such a double blessing of how God care for you both. We loved meeting you at the conference and others of our InScribe family. Merry Christmas, dear friend

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing, Alan. May this be an encouragement to all afflicted with cancer. (Robert Stermscheg)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Robert! Thank you for the comment. Yes, in our experience, once cancer comes into one's life you are never the same. Blessings to you, brother. Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for your touching story and poem, Alan. I, along with you, am so grateful for God healing Terry. I loved this part of your poem, as it carries both the joy and sorrow, but knowing that Immanuel, Jesus, is always with us.

    Joy is our companion. We weep, yes,
    Yet we rejoice. We are not alone.
    Immanuel, God with us,
    Is unseen yet present.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sandi, thank you for sharing with me in the joy of Terry's healing. We definitely don't take his love and healing for granted. Blessings of Christmas to you, my friend.

      Delete
  7. Thanks, Alan, for once more touching heart and soul with your thoughtful and honest words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharon. I appreciate your encouragement and support so much. Merry Christmas to you and your family, dear friend.

      Delete
  8. What a great poem, Alan! Thank you for sharing your Christmas miracle and answer to prayer. It is so good to read the personal experiences of the supernatural from people we know.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.