December 07, 2022

God With Us by Ramona Furst

 



Kerosene lamps were being lit in the mission house. I heard my mother's voice speaking in a whisper to someone outside on the veranda. Later, the mission station's large generator started up the electricity for the compound and Baba, our much-loved African cook, coaxed me out of bed. My sister and I were to stay with another family while my mother had to go to the clinic. Our father, we were told, had been hurt.

 A rogue elephant damaging villager's crops and homes (in the Central African Republic near the Cameroon boarder) had been tracked down by a small group of hunters and my father, who had taken the lead, had been the elephant's chosen target when it turned and charged the group of hunters. Miraculously the elephant did the unthinkable, he picked up my father, crushed him against his chest but when he dropped him to the ground to trample him with a foot (which they often do) he stood briefly for a minute and then walked away. The stunned African hunters waited until the elephant was gone before rushing over to see if my father was dead. God had indeed been with him when he saved his life. Many of the villagers later began to listen to my parents speak about their God who cared enough to save this white missionary's life. 

Not until my father was recovering at home did my parents realize that our family was to be prayed for every February 11th throughout their time in Africa. 

My God encounters haven't been nearly as spectacular as my father's elephant accident, but I have always known when those tailor-made "I love you" moments from God have shown up. They have been timely, unique, suiting my personality and particular need. Even people outside my family who heard me say, "you won't believe what just happened" would often say, "Now that's a God moment for sure."

Unlike God’s presence with Israel, a presence that seemed to come and go, and unlike Jesus who walked with his followers for a limited time, I understand and give thanks for the work of the Holy Spirit who will be my constant companion. (John 14:16,17).

Jesus also said that this advocate would help me. The Holy Spirit does not just walk with me, he helps me to live a holy and godly life. He teaches me the things of God. And he empowers me for service in his kingdom. His help is indispensable for a follower of Christ.

What does it mean? It means that I am never alone. Even in my darkest times, he is with me. I can trust that no matter what might come my way, he will keep me safe. We can have no greater privilege than to have God with us. 

As Oswald Chambers says in My Utmost For His Highest (October 11): "When you cannot hear God, you will find that He has trusted you in the most intimate way possible - with absolute silence ..." 

With a recent and apparent season of silence, I give thanks and acknowledge the sign of intimacy that can be found in his silence. My response? As Oswald Chambers says it is to praise him.

"Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, to God who alone is wise, be honour and glory forever and ever. Amen." (1Timothy 1:17 NKJV)

Ramona Furst can often be found out of doors with her husband and two Labrador Retrievers. If she is not hiking, skiing or kayaking Ramona is in her office writing or painting.



4 comments:

  1. Thank you, dear Ramona, for this powerful testimony of God's guidance, help, and provision. I'm grateful for the Holy Spirit's prompts and power to obey them.

    Christmas Blessings ~ Wendy Mac

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing story! God is good! Thank you for sharing today, Ramona.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A gripping and beautiful story of God's "love you" moments and what He is doing in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful story of God's constant presence and love in our lives.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.