July 22, 2021

A Summer of Poetry by Alan Anderson

 


Words jump around,

they mingle in my head,

they keep me awake when I have gone to bed.

They wake me up with a giggle and a “hee hee”

then remind me morning always means coffee.

I tell myself as I think of summer,

without a book, it would be a bummer.

                                by Alan Anderson

 

This summer I am reading, as well as writing poetry. Poetry is the genre I focus on these days, at least for the most part. I mentioned in my February 22, 2021 InScribe blog post how a sleep apnea condition has left me with slight memory and concentration challenges. These challenges persist but I cope well with them, for the most part. The challenges teach me the importance of persistence in my call to write. I need the embrace of poetry these days.

 

My goal to write well means I also want to read well. This summer I am reading A Poetry Handbook by Mary Oliver. I am also reading and studying a book I love called The Poet’s Companion, by Kim Addonizio and Dorianne Laux. As I read these books, they teach me about the craft of poetry. They also remind me of the love and curiosity I had for poetry and stories I enjoyed as a boy.



 

I remember when I made my way through the obstacles of my life as a young boy, I resonated with certain characters. Do you remember Jack and Jill? Here is a brief look at an experience in their lives. Disclaimer: Even after decades of being read by countless children and adults, this stanza is not for the squeamish.

 

Jack and Jill went up the hill,

To fetch a pail of water;

Jack fell down and broke his crown.

And Jill came tumbling after.

 

I understand this poem later informs readers Jack, and Jill suffered no permanent injuries. As a boy I didn’t know this. For years I wondered if Jack ever went up this hill again. A question about his fall haunted me. Did his crown ever heal or reach a level of repair where he didn’t walk around with a huge bump on his head?

 

I read a story in my childhood still stuck in the recesses of my boyish memory. The story of Hansel and Gretel. Please forgive me if the very mention of the title causes readers to shudder. The story of these two beautiful souls offered me an introduction to horror stories. Oh, my Lord, the thought of the witch and her mean intentions for Hansel and Gretel haunts me. I admit in a similar light the way the witch met her end brings no pleasure to my creative leanings.

 

I share these memories from my childhood to say my imagination remains inspired through poetry and stories to this day. I also see the need to learn more about the craft of writing poetry. This is a reason I enjoy working through A Poetry Handbook and The Poet’s Companion. Books like these encourage me to appreciate poetry even more. They reinforce the need of poets to be aware and respect formal poetry and the popular free verse style common today.

 

I am entering a new chapter in my life story as I allow poetry to absorb me. As I write my poems, I embrace them like companions. I also embrace times of solitude to allow the poems time to gather their thoughts to express themselves. The poems understand me more than I understand myself.





Alan lives in Deroche, B.C. with his wife, Terry. He contributed stories to Good Grief People by Angel Hope Publishing, 2017, Story by Story: The Power of a Writer, Unstoppable Writers Publishing, 2018, and Easter Stories & More, by InScribe Christian Writers’ Fellowship, 2021. He has also written articles for FellowScript Magazine. Blog: https://scarredjoy.ca. Alan is the Provincial Rep. Liaison and BC Rep for InScribe.

16 comments:

  1. Alan, I admire your commitment to give this time in your life to learning, reading, and writing poetry. I took several poetry classes at a community centre some years ago, but my purpose was to learn how to say a lot in as few words as possible. Poetry has no wasted words, and that time in class was definitely not wasted. I learned so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joy! This is a learning curve for me and I am enjoying the ride. I haven't taken any classes yet. I'm hoping I can attend our Conference. With DS Martin and Dayna Mazzuca being there it will be a great learning time.

      Delete
  2. I liked reading about you poetry focus, Alan! I hope you get to see and enjoy poet D. S. Martin at Inscribe's fall conference this year, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lynn! Lord willing, I'm making plans to attend Conference. I'm looking forward to getting away for a bit with Terry while also attending our Conference. Hopefully it will all work out.

      Delete
  3. This year's conference is tailor made for you, I think, Alan! DS Martin is our keynote!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tracy! Yes, the Conference looks like it might be poetry in action! Connecting with our group will be amazing as well. Lord willing, I will be there.

      Delete
  4. Alan, I loved your conclusion: "As I write my poems, I embrace them like companions. I also embrace times of solitude to allow the poems time to gather their thoughts to express themselves. The poems understand me more than I understand myself." A good reminder for us to give our writing time and allow our pieces to "gather their thoughts to express themselves"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandi! Yes, I always find it crucial and worthwhile not to rush poetry, whether I write it or read it.

      Delete
  5. As with sounds, so with words. I enjoy experimenting with both. Though I'm not a poet, it makes me glad when I can describe things in metaphorical terms. Keep on writing, Alan. Maybe your foggy mind will discover what normal waking minds don't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bruce! I trust you are well as the days go by. I like your statement about a "foggy mind." If it wasn't for my C-Pap machine I would be more foggy than not. You have given me an idea for a poem. Thank you, brother!

      Delete
  6. I hate the number eight.
    The wretched thing won't stand up straight.
    Toppled in any vicinity,
    That number becomes infinity.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Alan, for introducing us to these poetry guides. The book by Mary Oliver is one I need to put on my wishlist. I've been lazy about learning more about poetry. But I'm intrigued by Mary--for sure. I admire your dedication and determination.
    Blessings as you write poetry and prose. ✍️📖☕

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Wendy! I trust you are well these days. You will enjoy Mary Oliver's book for sure. The Poet's Companion is also worth the read. Mary is always someone to learn about poetry. Enjoy your reading and writing, Wendy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I find myself drawn to poetry in this season of life more than ever before, embracing them, as you say, like companions. I love Mary Oliver's work and shall have to seek out that book you mention of hers, The Poet's Companion. Thanks so much for sharing your love of poetry with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brenda! I don't know what it is about poetry and its power. Being "drawn," is a good way of stating this. Mary Oliver's, A Poetry Handbook, is being a good teacher for me. I would love to share poetry with you. We could be poetry buddies. :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.