July 15, 2021

Reading Then and Now by Tracy Krauss

I have been enjoying this month's posts as people reflect on the importance of reading in their lives, often from a young age. I, too, loved books from the time I was a child. My mother used to read REDDY FOX and other Thornton Burgess classics aloud to us at bedtime just as her mother had done. My grandmother was a lover of literature and could recite passages from Longfellow's EVANGELINE along with a variety of other poetry, which was a delight for me, my siblings, and cousins. An older sister introduced me to ANNE OF GREEN GABLES by reading it aloud to me when I was visiting her one summer. I guess you could say books were an integral and important part of my upbringing. 

I was a frequent visitor to our local library, enjoying Ramona, Pippi Longstocking, and many other classics kids' series. I devoured these books, often having to order through Regina's inter-library loans since our small-town library didn't have a complete selection. Then I got introduced to Edgar Rice Burroughs and TARZAN. I read them ALL (more than thirty books in the series) and was almost obsessed. It was my introduction to speculative fiction which mirrored my already keen interest in Star Trek, Lost In Space, and other TV shows in the genre. By my mid-teens, I also started reading romance, usually when I visited my grandparents because I could stay up late into the wee hours reading and no one noticed. I do recall being quite tired the next day... 

These days I find myself reading a lot of fiction by other mid-list authors. I like to be supportive and have found many new favourite authors, including some of our own InScribe members. 

I heard advice once that has stuck with me as far as my reading habits go. I'm not sure who said it, but the recommendation was to have three different books on the go at any given time: one to entertain, one to educate, and one to edify. I love fiction, so finding books to read that 'entertain' isn't a problem. These days, I read a lot about publishing, marketing, or for my job as a teacher, but at different stages of life I read about parenting or homeschooling, so 'education' is easily also covered. The 'edify' category speaks more to spiritual growth, not just educating oneself, so books on prayer, bible studies, and the like hit the mark.  

Entertain, educate, edify... This method keeps my reading balanced. I wrote an entire article about this topic which you can read here: Always Read Three Books At a Time!

I'll end by quoting Emily Dickenson:

There is no Frigate like a Book
To take us Lands away
Nor any Coursers like a Page
Of prancing Poetry –
This Traverse may the poorest take
Without oppress of Toll –
How frugal is the Chariot
That bears the Human Soul


Tracy Krauss
continues to read and write from Tumbler Ridge, BC. She is currently serving as InScribe's president. Visit her website for more: fiction on the edge without crossing the line. 

19 comments:

  1. Tracy, I liked reading about your book journey through the years. I usually have several books on the go - not always with the intent to have one in each category you mention, but it often turns out that way. 'Tis good advice, wherever you first heard of it. I so enjoyed reading Pippi Longstocking as a girl - I was drawn to her zany adventurous spirit.

    Thanks for an enjoyable read, Tracy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Pippi was a fave for sure! I am enjoying this entire mont's posts.

      Delete
  2. I'd forgotten about the Pippi Longstocking books! I remember reading those in just one sitting. I like the idea of reading 3 three 'e' type books at the same time. Unfortunately I'll often have my library fiction holds coming in all that same time so cannot always adhere to that idea (since need to finish the books before their overdue date)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Tracy,
    Thank you for sharing your lovely reading journey with us. You brought back cozy memories.
    I needed your three-E-read suggestion. I'm going to give it a go.
    Blessings - Wendy Mac 🕊️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't always stick to it in a strict sense, but it means I don't have to feel like I need to 'finish' one book before i start another.

      Delete
  4. Your reading journey strikes a common chord with my own, Tracy. The "three e's" is one that just seems to have evolved throughout my reading life. My problem is "cherry-picking" here and there through the many books I am interested in. I'm working on committing to reading a book from start to finish, without cheating! Thanks for sharing your reading tastes and habits with the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On the other hand, there is something to be said for 'cherry picking'... At one point I felt obligated to read the entire book if I had started it. When I finally let that go it gave me freedom to read more, since i didn't have a false sense of obligation. This is especially true about fiction. It's okay to scrap a book at any point if you aren't enjoying it! Freedom!!

      Delete
  5. If I had The Reading Edge, I'd be more inclined to borrow and read books. The Reading Edge is a special device made to turn printed material into audible speech. When they came out in 1992, they cost $6,000.00, way too much for me to afford. So I used one at the library in Edmonton. What a thrill it was to hear my book choices instead of waiting for the CNIB to have books recorded by voice talent.

    I saw the BBC TV version of Pippy Longstocking but I didn't know it was originally a book. What a hilarious girl! I loved her sideways pigtails too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is there other software that you use now, Bruce? I am not blind like you, but I have had my challenges and I find using text to speech technology very helpful. Also, I love using Bible apps to hear the word instead of reading it so I don't strain my one good eye.

      Delete
  6. What a lovely journey of your favourite books you shared with us, Tracy! Your post brought me back to my favourite books at different stages in my life.

    Like you, I have several books on the go. Like others who've commented, I'll try focusing on your three "E" books.

    And yes, as Lynn commented, often I'm partially dependent on what library books on hold come in--sometimes they arrive all at once, of course, when I'm busiest with other concerns. But I just renew or put them on hold again if I have to return them for other readers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to say this has been a fun month. It's funny to me how certain topics seem to resonate and then others (which I thought would have been great) aren't as popular. Thank you for coming up with these lists each year. It is such a blessing.

      Delete
  7. I also remember Pippi Longstocking, Ramona, Star Trek and Lost In Space. There were so many wonderful books and so many new books to enjoy today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also remember Pippi Longstocking, Ramona, Star Trek and Lost In Space. There were so many wonderful books and so many new books to enjoy today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ramona, Pippi, Anne - yes! Also romance in my teens! I remember my male cousin buying my first Harlequin for me as a Christmas gift; they are quite different now.

    I love the advice to entertain, educate and edify. I don't always have three books on the go - sometimes it's more, sometimes less, but if I've been reading to educate too much, I definitely turn to fiction to get a break.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, I used to sneak the Harlequins into my room and read late into the night. You are right that they are very different now!

      Delete
  10. Thanks for sharing your triune reading plan. As i read this post there was lots of ‘Oh, I love that one!” as well as ‘Oh, I should read that one!’ Thanks, Tracy.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.