July 04, 2021

Readers' Advisory by Susan Barclay


When Lynn Dove wrote
last year, “I was an avid reader from a very young age, disappearing whole-heartedly into a book, where I lived, breathed and took on the persona of the main character,” she might well have been describing me. Perhaps we are, as they say, "sisters from another mother!" From the time my mom and grandparents first took me to the library when I was three, I was hooked on books. Though at one time I thought I would never leave the world of the Children’s department, I did progress through Young Adult reads, and then on to Adult. I even became a librarian and within that role readers’ advisory is one of my favourite activities.

My reading tastes are eclectic. I enjoy a good cozy mystery, historical fiction, Christian fiction, humour. I like biography and memoir, books on spiritual growth, Christian living, prayer. I am always learning something. My to-read list is over 800 titles long, and that’s after a hefty culling of about 600. According to my Goodreads log, I’ve read more than 2000 books in my lifetime—and those are just the ones I remembered to input!

So, what am I reading this summer? Currently, I’m reading You’re Not Enough (And That’s Okay) by Allie Beth Stuckey, and Draw the Circle: the 40 Day Prayer Challenge by Mark Batterson (this is one of the companions to The Circle Maker). Both are excellent writings I highly recommend. I’m just beginning Renewing Your Mind by Dennis Jernigan, Just Jones by Andy Andrews, and Red Moon Rising by Pete Greig and Dave Roberts on the 24/7 prayer movement. I read Greig’s How to Pray in December and it was wonderful. I have to say I’ve read some amazing nonfiction so far this year, including Another Gospel? by Alisa Childers, Out of Darkness by Stormie Omartian, The Red Sea Rules by Robert J. Morgan, and Talking Back to Purity Culture by Rachel Joy Welcher. In fiction I discovered author Chris Fabry. His writing is beautiful, his stories and characters compelling.

In this season of eldercare, reading has taken precedence over writing, though I did help my aunt edit her coffee table/gift/art book, which we just sent off to the publisher. Growing up in a hardworking family where I was an only child and conversations didn’t run deep, books introduced me to different worlds, different people, and taught me not just vocabulary, but how to communicate and think. I’ll forever be grateful to my mom, who understood the importance of an education, and to the authors who wrote the books that most shaped and informed me. I still seek books that teach me how to live, and most importantly how to live well for Jesus and abide in Him. I’ve been doing a lot of growing over the last three years especially, and I know God isn't finished with me yet. He’s drawing to my attention the stories I need to hear and giving me a story to share with others at the right time, for His glory alone.

If you’d like more information on the books I’ve read or are looking for reading suggestions, please reach out through the comments. Even though my life is full, I’m always happy to discuss this subject that is very close to my heart!

__________________

You can find out more about Susan Barclay's writing at www.susan-barclay.blogspot.com. Photo credits - Pixabay

16 comments:

  1. Perhaps all writers love books since I agree with you about loving to just hang out at the library, especially as a child... At one point I thought I'd like to be a librarian and even did some 'substitute' work at the library in one of the small towns we lived in, filling in for the real librarian when she went on vacation or was sick. It gave me a different perspective on the job, for sure! I also tried to list all the books I remember reading on goodreads when i first joined. Pretty sure I missed lots! Thanks for this great post Susan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your own experiences with libraries and Goodreads, Tracy! I still add titles from years gone by as I remember them, and I'm sure you do as well!

      Delete
  2. Yes, libraries are wonderful places to hang out. Even the smell of books is evocative. And the CNIB talking books have professional actors reading them aloud. Stephen King's book If was awesome to hear. The reader did all the voices and it was almost like being inside the story. The audio book versions of the Chronicles of Narnia are wonderful to hear too. Focus on The Family has those, last time I checked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Audiobooks aren't my go-to, but they do provide another way of "reading" which I know a lot of people enjoy. The reader definitely makes the difference on these!

      Delete
  3. I am impressed with how many books you have read and how long your must read list. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many great books! Thank you for sharing your reads. And I still want to be a librarian when I grow up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, impressive reading list, dear Susan. Reading is one of the best things writers can do to improve their craft.

    Blessings - Wendy Mac 🕊️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and I think one of the recent blog posts points out that it's important to read what you want to write because the quality of what you read will surely influence your own work!

      Delete
  6. Like you, I find there are seasons for certain books. Out of season they barely speak, but in season, oh my, the words hang like fruit filled with nourishment for the heart.

    As you say, what we read certainly influences our own writing. Thanks, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "...in season...the words hang like fruit filled with nourishment for the heart." I love that image, Brenda - thank you!

      Delete
  7. Thank you, Susan, for reminding us of our library experiences. In high school, I volunteered at the town library. And then part of my career was as a Teacher-Librarian in an elementary school, where, among other things, I read tons of children's books of many genres. Some are still my favourites!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some pretty amazing children's books and children's authors. Tuck Everlasting, Bridge to Terabithia, Because of Winn-Dixie, other books by Kate DiCamillo, books by Cynthia Voigt. The list goes on and on, and libraries are pretty great places!

      Delete
  8. Your post immediately brought me back to all the libraries of my youth. The wonderful scent of them upon entering. Ahhh. What a wonderful world. Thanks, Susan.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.