July 21, 2021

Sink or Swim - Finding Passion and Purpose in the Storms by Katie Gerke

 I have lived with Multiple Sclerosis (MS) for 34 years, and I have lost the use of both legs and arms. I have lost the ability to express myself manually and have adapted to expressing myself orally. 

I have lost the ability to dance with joy, clap my hands with excitement, hug someone affectionately, throw things when frustrated, wave my arms in distress, and hold my head in my hands when I cry. 

Is your mouth a blessing or a curse? Does it help or hinder you? Is your mouth still doing the things that it was meant to do?

I have used my mouth to colorfully read to young, school children so that they may become more confident in reading and verbalizing their new language – English. Unbeknownst to me, it was viewing these same children’s art, that inspired me to start painting.

When sailing on the Glenmore Reservoir, I have used my mouth to yell STARBOARD! so the sailors, that are on a port tack, need to “follow the rules” and sail out of my way. (It’s this offensive sailing strategy that wins me races).


My mouth has been taught to save other’s lives but it neglected to try and save mine. I have used my mouth as a tool to try and take my life and four days later, I have used it to swallow my pride, and reached out to others and up to God, so that I may live my second chance at life, more abundantly.

I have used my mouth to talk to politicians about the inequities that young adults with my MS experience while navigating through the continuing care system to secure appropriate living arrangements when they can no longer live at home. My most rewarding work was when a DVD was produced called “These 4 Walls” showing me, sitting in a very, tiny room (roommate included), making comparisons between life at home and life in long-term care. 

I have used my mouth, with words of Scripture, to give comfort and encouragement to others, when my own words are not sufficient.

With my mouth I will greatly extol the LORD; in the great throng I will praise him. Psalm 109:30

I have taken up a paintbrush – between my teeth and my lips – and connect my heart, my mind and my emotions and push them down the length of a paintbrush to create something to share with others so that they may be encouraged and hopeful that through adversity there is beauty in everything coming together for good and a world that desperately needs Jesus.


With the addition of these new abilities, I will continue to convey love, lift people up, impact others positively, bear each other’s burdens, seek joy and excitement in ordinary things, push forward with my advocacy and defend those who can not speak for themselves, build leaders out of the children, and maintain my course and prevent expensive collisions. These things I can do, and I do them very well!

I hope that my art acts as a catalyst to help you to become encouraged by my testimony, transcend the trifling problems, refreshen your consciousness and become more connected to the world around you. Now, it’s time to get out of the boat!

by Katie Gerke


6 comments:

  1. Thanks, Katie, for another poignant story from your life. How appropriate your verse is: "With my mouth I will greatly extol the LORD; in the great throng I will praise him Psalm 109:30." I pray that praise will continually be in your heart and on your lips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this powerful story, Katie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Katie! If nothing else, I need your words here. Perhaps MS has robbed you physically but your voice still "extols" and "praises" the One who loves you. I pray to Almighty God you will be able to speak into the world for as long as you can.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In your title, you say sink or swim -- from reading your post, I would say you are SWIMMING...in His love, in His hope, in gratefulness for your life and how he's given you a true purpose. Your painting is so alive with colour and beauty. Blessings, Katie, as you continue to be His voice of hope in our upside down world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank-you Katie for sharing these powerful words. Blessings to you as you continue to use your tool of words to win sailing races, and encourage others.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Katie, your courage and spirit blow me away.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.