July 28, 2021

The Guess Who: "The Key" - Bruce Atchison

Summer reading? Who has time? I find that the only book I read with regularity is the Bible.

Holy Scripture is one wonderful place for inspiration. Canadian Group The Guess Who certainly felt inspired enough to sing about various characters in the Bible, as you can hear on this song.

In my personal life, I admire Gideon. He wasn't from any popular or mighty family and tribe. He was just a person chosen by God to liberate Israel during the time of the judges.

When the angel of the Lord came to Gideon, he felt inadequate for the task he was called to do. As Judges 6:15 (Bible in Basic English) says, "And he said to him, 'O Lord, how may I be the saviour of Israel? See, my family is the poorest in Manasseh, and I am the least in my father's house.'"

But instead of chiding Gideon, the Angel said in verse sixteen, "Then the Lord said to him, Truly, I will be with you, and you will overcome the Midianites as if they were one man."

I relate to other misunderstood and underestimated people in Scripture too. Christians down through the ages called one Disciple "Doubting Thomas." But we read his declaration of Christ's divinity in John 20:27 and 28 (BBE). "Then he said to Thomas, 'Put out your finger, and see my hands; and put your hand here into my side: and be no longer in doubt but have belief.' And Thomas said in answer, 'My Lord and my God!'"

And having read the accounts of these faithful saints, I rejoice in the knowledge that we'll meet them in heaven. Revelation 19:9 (BBE) tells us, "And he (the angel) said to me, 'Put in the book, Happy are the guests at the bride-feast of the Lamb.' And he said to me, 'These are the true words of God.'" What a wonderful day that will be!


6 comments:

  1. Thank you, Bruce, for reminding me of Gideon. His story always encourages me. When we walk with God, we have an army of angels helping us accomplish God's will in our lives.
    Yes, the Bible is the best read for every season.
    📖 May we never be too busy to drink Living Water.
    Blessings - Wendy Mac

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this interesting perspective, Bruce. I also admire Gideon for a number of reasons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I named one of my rabbits Gideon. He sure did cause me a lot of mischief. I sure miss that rascal.

      Delete
    2. I named one of my rabbits Gideon. He sure did cause me a lot of mischief. I sure miss that rascal.

      Delete
    3. I named one of my rabbits Gideon. He sure did cause me a lot of mischief. I sure miss that rascal.

      Delete
  3. Yes, what a wonderful day that will be!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.