July 14, 2021

July Mid-Month Moments by Connie Inglis

 Mid-Month Moments


I've always enjoyed a good sci-fi - whether in the form of a book, a movie, or a TV series. And yes - I am a trekkie, and proud of it. Even though I was too young to watch the original Star Trek shows on TV in the 60's, I remember watching the syndicated series as a teenager. The shows were on Saturday afternoons so, whenever I could, I would curl up in front of the TV and watch. Usually, I was the lone viewer, but I didn't care. The idea of going into warp speed and discovering rifts in the space-time continuum fascinated me (not to mention all the weird alien stuff).

Sci-fi may not be your thing. But did you know that God is the ultimate sci-fi nerd? After all, HE created space and time and matter. Have you ever thought about that? About how God is outside space and yet is omnipresent in our space? About how He is outside time as the Alpha and Omega and yet He encompasses all time? About how He is outside matter and yet He indwells us? The idea really is mind-blowing to our finite, human minds.

When Jesus arrived as a baby, the infinite became finite. For 33 Earth years, He took on matter, lived and breathed our space, and grew and developed within the realm of human time. He broke into the space-time continuum to restore, redeem, and repair our fractured relationship with the great "I AM that I AM!"

Not only that, in His miracles, Jesus showed He was God by treating time and space as insignificant.

At the wedding in Cana in John 2, Jesus turns the water into wine. And not just any wine but good wine--wine that, in human terms, would have taken years to produce. And yet, in verses 7 and 8, He speaks two sentences and time becomes irrelevant:
Jesus said to the servants, “Fill the jars with water”; so they filled them to the brim.8 Then he told them, “Now draw some out and take it to the master of the banquet.”
Verse 11 says, "What Jesus did here in Cana of Galilee was the first of the signs through which he revealed his glory; and his disciples believed in him."

Then in John 4:43-54, after Jesus returns to Cana, an official from Capernaum comes to Him. This official asks Jesus to come to Capernaum with him because his son is sick and dying. In verse 50, Jesus says: “Go,” Jesus replied, “your son will live.” The son is healed at the same moment that Jesus speaks those words. Space is not a barrier for Jesus--it too becomes irrelevant because He is the Infinite, living in the finite.

Recently I've been struck with the thought that what Jesus did, in performing miracles that transcend time and space, we too can do! Do you believe it? John 14:11-14 says:
"Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the works themselves. 12 Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. 13 And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it."

I have been spiritual advisor for several years now. In that time (There's that "time" word again), I have witnessed the power of prayer. PRAYER! It transcends time and space. For when we call on the Infinite God to intercede--to bring all kinds of healing--we are breaking through the space-time continuum because of the divine power available to us through Christ.

And I am reminded once again of the verses I prayed for all of you individually last month: "For though we live in the world, we do not wage war as the world does. 4 The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. 5 We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ." 2 Corinthians 10:3-5

So, even if you're not a sci-fi geek or nerd, know that you have the power to transcend time and space at your fingertips in the form of prayer. Yes, there are times we need to deal with issues of sin, whether physical, mental, emotional, or spiritual, but that does not mean that the great I AM that I AM is unable to answer our prayers. He seeks to reveal His glory on the earth. Prayer connects His Infinite glory with our finite lives. Rest in that fact today.

Ever seeking to live in kairos time,
Connie
November 8, 2018

Mid-Month Moments are past devotionals written by Connie Inglis that she shared each week when she was InScribe's spiritual advisor. (Originally called 'Mid-Week Moments') They are shared from her archives with permission in the middle of each month. 


7 comments:

  1. Amen to: "Prayer connects His Infinite glory with our finite lives."
    Blessings - Wendy Mac 🕊️

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these mid-month moments. Thank you again, Connie, for your wisdom and words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got a kick out of thinking that God is the ultimate sci-fi nerd. Indeed, He started it off, didn't He? I was just old enough to catch those first Star Trek shows and loved them from the start.

    Enjoyed reading your thoughts today, Connie. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Brenda--a fellow trekkie. hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that God is the ultimate Sci-fi nerd. New perspective. Thanks, Connie.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.