July 03, 2020

An Extraordinary Passing by Lynn J Simpson


“Then one of them said, “I will surely return to you about this time next year, and Sarah your wife will have a son.”
Now Sarah was listening at the entrance to the tent, which was behind him. Abraham and Sarah were already very old, and Sarah was past the age of childbearing. So Sarah laughed to herself as she thought, “After I am worn out and my lord is old, will I now have this pleasure?” Genesis 18: 10-12
Have you ever nervously laughed when something so extraordinary is told to you that you have a hard time believing it could truly come to pass? 
After already a long life-time that had Sarah and Abraham still childless, I can imagine the news that they would have a son in a year was astonishing. Their life experiences had thus far shown them a child of their own becoming an impossibility as time marched on. Today we may flippantly refer to times when things just don’t happen like we expected as “it just wasn’t in the cards,” or  “it is what it is.” We may laugh at ourselves while we try to justify in our minds and hearts that our unmet dreams were silly or unrealistic in the first place.  Or we laugh at others when suggestions so extraordinary from our own perception have us choking down chuckles while internally we throw water on any flame sparked in our hearts. 
The realistic and ordinary become the safe places to navigate rather than the possibility of the extraodinary. Dreams dim as circumstances prevail. Years, maybe even decades pass by and, like Sarah, the womb stays empty. Hope leaves with the passing of time.
But the Nourisher never stops working. Consider the extraordinary small bee that makes fertilization possible from sticks of hair on it’s body that carry droplets of pollen. In time these droplets of pollen reproduce and flourish the necessary plants to nourish our bodies. An extraordinary process from circumstances of a creation with only a two millimetre body. Perplexing but true.
Sarah, worn out and old, perplexed of how God’s promise will fill her womb with a son, laughed at herself. Her laugh may have come from a combination of emotions including joy, irony, and amazement. Later, a son born to her, she reflects on her extraordinary circumstances. “Sarah said, “God brought me laughter, and everyone who hears about this will laugh with me.” (Genesis 21:8) Is anything too worn out, too old, too broke or even too wonderful for God? Is anything too extraordinary for God?
No!
Instead, it is God’s extraordinary ways with us, especially during uncertain and perplexing situations, that fertilizes our faith. And maybe even erupts in us a laughter from pure joy. 
Our mouths were filled with laughter, our tongues with songs of joy. Then it was said among the nations, “The Lord has done great things for them.” Psalm 126:2
Have faith! With God, the extraordinary can truly come to pass. 

8 comments:

  1. Signing in blew away my comment so I'll try again. This shows that God does amazing things with seniors. Remember Moses and Joshua? I also feel glad for Simeon and Hannah in the temple when they got to see Jesus after such a long wait. Holding that newborn must have been such a rush.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We (meaning me) tend to laugh when someone gives a compliment, as a way to pass it off. I think it is hard for us to believe that we worthy of praise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thinking about Sarah and Abraham makes me want to dream bigger and pray in more extraordinary ways. It’s too easy to settle for the safe and easy way. This was really inspiring, Lynn!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Lynn. Your post spoke directly to me and gave me insight. I can see how I've gradually allowed "the ordinary and the safe places” keep me in check. Rather than counting on God for the possibility of the extraordinary, I have let “dreams dim” and "circumstances prevail.” Keep writing your messages of hope. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lynn, I've tried twice to reply, but my computer didn't send it--I hope this one succeeds. I so appreciated your thoughts, especially this sentence: "God’s extraordinary ways with us, especially during uncertain and perplexing situations, that fertilizes our faith. And maybe even erupts in us a laughter from pure joy." God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the message, Lynn. I love how Sarah laughed after hearing she would give birth in her older years. I also love how she considered the prospect of bearing a child a, "pleasure." Thank you for the reminder of how extraordinary God is.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Lynn, this right here --> ' it is God’s extraordinary ways with us, especially during uncertain and perplexing situations, that fertilizes our faith.'

    I'm loving that image of fertilizing our faith. What a superb set of lenses to look at our current challenges through.

    Thank you for this needed nudge today, friend ...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! I love this ---> Instead, it is God’s extraordinary ways with us, especially during uncertain and perplexing situations, that fertilizes our faith. God is working even in these times of uncertainty.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.