September 14, 2019

Welcoming new seasons in life - Ruth L. Snyder


Do you welcome new seasons in your life? Personally I struggle with change. I prefer what I know, and what I feel comfortable with, as opposed to being stretched. However, I have discovered that I grow more in seasons of change. Probably because I am forced to rely totally on God.

I am currently in a season of change. One I would not have chosen. However, I'm learning to focus on what I do have control over and choosing to be thankful.

I can choose my attitude. 

Charles Swindoll puts it this way:

“The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude, to me, is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, the education, the money, than circumstances, than failure, than successes, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness or skill. It will make or break a company..I a church... a home. The remarkable thing is we have a choice everyday regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it. And so it is with you... we are in charge of our Attitudes.”

I can choose to build into other people's lives

No matter what my struggles are, I have discovered there are always others who are struggling or hurting more than I am. 
  • I can listen. 
  • I can pray. 
  • I can hug. 
  • I can share my struggles, and how God helped me.
  • I can share Scriptures that I find helpful. 
  • I can share my testimony. 
One Friday my boys asked to go to garage sales. I noticed three lawnmowers at one place, but didn't think I needed one. That evening I tried to mow our lawn, but found out the lawnmower I had wouldn't work. A couple other people tried too...nothing. I thought of the garage sale lawnmowers, but knew I wouldn't be able to get back to the place we had been until late afternoon on Saturday. "Lord, keep a lawnmower there for me." 
Throughout the next day when I was tempted to fret, I stopped and prayed. When I returned to the garage sale, there was one mower left. I approached the older gentleman and told him I wanted to buy the mower. He shook his head. "I don't understand it. You saw I had three mowers for sale. This is the best one. And nobody bought it."
I smiled. "God saved it for me."
"You know I wouldn't even be selling this mower, except someone thought they were doing me a favour and they bought me a new mower. I can't sell the one they bought for me, even though this one is better. It's my favourite mower."
I almost felt sorry for him! 
"Would you like me to show you how to start it?"
I nodded. He demonstrated how to put on the choke. He pulled once and the mower roared to life.
"Would you like me to help you load it?"
"Yes, please."
I came home feeling like God had blessed me with a "Cadillac" lawn mower. I paid about a third of what I would have paid for a new one, and it has worked well all summer for me.


I can choose to take good care of myself

Since February I have been working on changing some of my unhealthy habits. I tend to eat when I'm anxious ... or stressed ... or nervous ... or ... you get the picture. I also find exercising regularly difficult. In February I read information from Fitera and decided to work on healthy eating habits and exercise. I also happened to be exchanging coaching with a fellow student from the Beautiful You Coaching Academy. She helped me set goals and pick strategies and cheered me on as I made changes. It was hard, especially when I didn't see any changes in the numbers on the scale. She helped me focus on consistency and the fact that I was feeling stronger and more energetic. God reminded me that my body is His temple, and I can glorify him just as much by exercising as I can by reading my Bible. Fitera provides an exercise routine where 1 minute of a weight bearing exercise is followed by 1 minute of cardio-based exercise. You have an option of doing 15, 22, or 30 minutes of exercise, and can start with your fitness level and work up from there. Fitera suggests you do their exercise program 3 days a week and then walk the other 3-4 days. I found my walks beside Jessie Lake inspiring and enjoyable. (The pictures on this blog post were all taken during my walks.) Over the weeks, the pounds started to slip away until I had lost 30 pounds. Now I am working on maintaining the habits.


I can choose to learn new things

Before this season of change started, I signed up for the life coaching course through Beautiful You Coaching Academy. They offer a four-month course, with reading materials, homework questions (answers were shared on the closed Facebook Group), bi-weekly calls, and the opportunity to practice skills by having a coaching partner. God's timing was perfect (as usual). The course, which started in February, gave me something positive to focus on, and I learned that I not only enjoy coaching, but I am also good at it (according to my clients). Now that the course is finished, I'm working on becoming certified with Beautiful You.
Just before I finished the coaching course, I also took on the challenge of working with a business coach from Market Like a Nerd. This has been a huge stretch for me, but I'm looking forward to reaping the results of having an online business.


I can choose to be thankful!

This has been one of the hardest years of my life, but I'm so thankful!
  • I have a wonderful support team
  • God has provided for all my needs
  • I'm enjoying friends, both "old" and "new"
  • God has drawn me closer to himself
Are you in a new season? What lessons have you been learning? 





Find out more about Ruth, her writing, and her coaching, at ruthlsnyder.com.

8 comments:

  1. You are a brave and beautiful person, Ruth! I am looking forward to seeing you soon at conference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tracy!
      It takes one to know one :) I'm looking forward to seeing you too!

      Delete
  2. Thanks, Ruth, for taking us with you on your morning walk. The view through your lens is amazing. Thanks also for sharing your thoughts on life, especially when it comes to changes. It is good to look through this lens with you as well. May we all open our lips and let our mouths declare our praise to God. I know God will walk beside you, whatever your circumstances or needs, Ruth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Sharon!
    I'm so grateful God always walks with us (and sometimes carries us!). Yes, "May we all open our lips and let our mouths declare our praise to God!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. From where I'm standing, Ruth, it looks like you're in a new growth 'branching out' season. A stretching, to be sure, but how exciting. You've shared glimpses over the months about some of these changes and challenges, and your sweet testimony throughout has been both beautiful and encouraging. Can't wait to seeing what 'blossoms' out from all these new branches. xox

    PS. Loved the lawn mower story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brenda,
      Thanks for your friendship and encouragement. I love the word picture you shared - the blossoms from the new branches. May I remain in the true vine and bear abundant fruit!

      Delete
  5. What an encouraging post! I'm looking forward to seeing you at Fall Conference!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet,
      It was great to see you at conference! Thank you for your encouragement and prayers. May we continue to be faithful in the seasons God takes us through.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.