September 16, 2019

Embracing the Changing Seasons of Life by Nina Faye Morey



For everything there is a season,
and a time for every purpose under heaven.
~ Ecclesiastes 3:1 (ASV)




Just as nature’s seasons change, so do the seasons of our lives. We may not be willing to accept these changes, but they will happen nevertheless. They are inevitable and come and go quickly. Time passes even faster as I grow older, and the seasons of my life zoom past with head-spinning speed. But would I really want to stop the clock? If my life grew stale and stagnant despite these ever-changing seasons, would I still remain content? As far as I can see, I only have two choices. I can be the passive casualty of change or the passionate embracer of change. I know which one I will choose. How about you?

Change doesn’t have to be viewed as negative. Many changes in my life have definitely been for the better. They’ve opened me up to new adventures, new experiences, new discoveries, new ideas, new passions, new hopes, new dreams, new purposes, new people, and so many other new and positive things. I’ve discovered that I am more satisfied with the seasons of my life if I choose to actively embrace these changes rather than complaining about them, fearing them, resisting them, or outright rejecting them. I must not be afraid to step out of my comfort zone, shake-up my normal routine, and move ahead with my life.



Autumn is a glorious season when the summer leaves change colour from their fine greenery to brilliant shades of yellow, red, and orange. It’s also traditionally a time when one season of life transforms into another. As I harvest and preserve the fruits of past labours, I am also planning what seeds I will plant and nurture through my next season of growth. Embracing these changing seasons of life offers renewed opportunities to envision how to make the best use of my God-given gifts. More specifically, what does God want me to do and what do I want Him to do for me in the next phase of my writing life? I am excited to see what new challenges He has in store for me and how He will help me to meet these challenges. What does He require of me and how will I respond? I have dreamed up so many writing projects for this upcoming season that I hardly know where to begin.



The LORD says, “I will teach you the way you should go;
I will instruct you and advise you.
~ Psalm 32:8 (GNT)



As I prepare for my next season of growth, I feel God challenging me to cultivate fresh fields. One new field in which I plan to plant and nurture seeds is on a site in the realm of the internet. I haven’t settled on a name for my new domain yet, but I’ve been reading several of those how-to books and websites that promise to help me plan, design, and launch my new website into this online world. I don’t know if this new site will prove to be a fertile ground for growth, but I intend to fully embrace this challenge. I believe that if I listen to God’s voice and respond positively to this change He’s asking me to make in my writing life, my efforts will prove to be fruitful.

Remain in me, and I will remain in you.
For a branch cannot produce fruit if it is severed from the vine,
and you cannot be fruitful unless you remain in me.
~ John 15:4 (NLT)


Just as the seasonal changes in nature are inevitable, so are the changes that naturally occur as we go through the seasons of life. What new challenges in your life or writing do you feel God has in store for you this season, and how will you respond?

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Nina, for bringing us these good points to ponder. Although I may not be able to embrace every change that looms on my horizon, I can ask God to help me guard against "complaining about (inevitable changes), fearing them, resisting them, or outright rejecting them." I appreciate the reassuring Scripture you’ve presented: "The LORD says, “I will teach you the way you should go; I will instruct you and advise you.~ Psalm 32:8 (GNT)

    May we always remember to remain in the vine, so that Christ can remain in us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nina,
    Thanks for sharing about the new challenge you're planning to take on. May God give you wisdom, strength, and perseverance so that you reach the audience He has for you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.