July 18, 2018

The Key of Release - Gloria Guest


There are some stories that have to be told before you can tell any other stories at all.

This seems to be the case with my ‘first book.’ The one that stays with me awake or asleep, some of the words written in short story form, some on various files on my computer or in journals and the rest still in my heart, waiting to be released.

Release. That is what I seem to be waiting for and needing. The parts written were all written during moments when I knew that they could no longer just remain a part of me; and so I wrote them down and sometimes even risked a critique or sharing them with other writers or friends. Still, even if I got a good review, I knew that they were only a part of a whole and so have never sought publication for any ‘part’ of my story.

My story begins I suppose way back before I can even remember and ends……well there is no ending either in my mind, dreams or heart. Perhaps that is the release I wait for. Am I waiting for closure that will most likely never come? Or even less likely, a happy ending? How do I adequately pen hope into such a story? Giving hope to others is the main reason that I want to write it. 

My story is my memoir;  a telling that I first thought was going to be about my sister (and it does in many ways revolve around her).  But I’ve since discovered, as the words have slowly wound their way out of my heart onto paper, that it is really about me; my experiences and point of view of the home I grew up in, my scattered memories that came piece by piece together in my adult years like a puzzle.

Until it finally does come together I find it hard to write other things. I have written a great many newspaper articles in the past but that was a completely different and easier genre for me to write in. But God has since closed that door and in spite of my pounding on it and testing its immoveable door handle it seems to be remaining in a locked position.

What to do? I took some classes on writing and when it was fitting I squeezed in bits of my memoir for the sake of the critique. The editorial comments were both helpful in wanting to read more and challenging in wanting me to go even closer and deeper into the subject matter. Those are the words that are still in my heart; waiting for a release.

Where to go from here? I’m not sure. I am striving to write a few other pieces even though the story that really needs to be told still sits and waits. I am considering a sort of motivational type book; a compilation of my many newspaper columns. Both good and productive things that would perhaps get me flowing more and ultimately help with my memoir. Or are they simply a diversion so I can let the story that has to be told hide far back on the dusty shelf of forgetfulness?

I do know that I’ve been in limbo far too long and so diversion or not I will try to move forward with those two projects while I seek for the key of release to unlock the rest of my story.

*I was dreading this post but have actually found it cathartic and helpful to my inner musings as to just what that key is. Thanks for listening. J

7 comments:

  1. I've also found writing to be very cathartic, but as you say, sometimes there are pieces that seem just too personal. i would also encourage you to move ahead with the newspaper article idea. Sometimes a project that is totally different from the one in our hearts, is a good way to kickstart the other, and it does provide a feeling of accomplishment for moving forward.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Gloria, for sharing your story. As I read, I deciphered that your journey hasn't taken you yet to the closure of your memoir-story. When you feel closure, you'll have a more complete perspective and that's the time to finish it up. I also agree with Tracy to go ahead with the newspaper idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel you heart in this piece - your longing to write and all of the stumbling blocks that have come your way. I'm intrigued by the mention of your sister and her place in the story that you once desired to want to write. I do hope you find the key to unlocking your stories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting,good job and thanks for sharing such a good blog.your article is so convincing that I never stop myself to say something about it.You’re doing a great job.Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gloria, I too hope that your key to release comes. Your first line: There are some stories that have to be told before you can tell any other stories at all-captured me. In some way you have answered your own question there, and yet I feel a connection to that limbo state you discuss. Blessings and I hope the writing continues. You have a story to share!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am responding to your closing remark, Gloria,that says, "I was dreading this post but have actually found it cathartic and helpful to my inner musings as to just what that key is." (The key to unlock the door to writing your story, which I've added here.) Your reaction to the prompt for July is similar to mine. Writing to the topic has roused me from my inertia in regard to my writing projects. In your case, you're saying you may need to go deeper with your own story and that may have been blocking you.

    In my case, I am wondering how I will do the writing at this time when life seems complicated and I have other commitments. After writing the blog, however, I am thinking of my projects more more and wondering how I might fit it in. Dare I say that we are both gaining in optimism and opening our minds to possibilities. The Holy Spirit is an amazing problem solver when we turn a situation and our lives over to him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Gloria, I agree with Tracy about working on the articles while you wait for the go ahead on your other project. Thanks for you honesty about dreading writing this post. I also found this topic hard to write about.
    Blessings ~ Wendy Mac

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.