May 16, 2014

Writing For One by Steph Beth Nickel

 

 

 

We are delighted to welcome InScribe member Steph Nickel as our Guest Blogger today.



What do you want your books/writings to make happen inside your readers? What have you discovered about yourself or your writing through answering this question?

Those were the questions we were asked to fuel our posts and immediately my mind went to the following poem, which originally appeared on my blog, Steph Nickel's Eclectic Interests, in November of last year.

While I would love to have more subscribers, that is not my focus.

I write for one . . . the one I can encourage; the one I can build up; the one I can share my heart with.

I write for one . . . the one who needs a smile; the one who needs a friend; the one who needs assurance that they are loved.

Does my writing accomplish what I hope it will? I pray so. And most importantly, I pray my words accomplish God's purposes in the hearts of my readers.

If my poem encourages your heart, today you are that one.


Writing for One

There are billions of people on Planet Earth,
Millions zipping through Cyberspace.
Perhaps I could reach hundreds
Or thousands.
But who do I really write for?
I write for one.
One I can cheer,
Encourage,
Lift up.
One I can come alongside,
Offer a hand,
Root for.
One I can warm with a smile,
Touch with a look,
Strengthen with a hug.
Is the world brighter,
Better,
More beautiful
Because of my words?
If I have touched one life . . .
It is!



Steph Beth Nickel is the co-author of former Paralympian Deborah L. Willows’ memoir, Living Beyond My Circumstances. For Steph, life is all about relationships. A dear friend once said her tagline should read “riding shotgun” because, in her many eclectic interests, she seeks to come alongside others and encourage them.  She blogs at http://stephseclecticinterests.wordpress.com/

 

10 comments:

  1. This is one of the best poems I have read in a long time. I returned for re-read and to remember One is enough! thank-you and God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely, Stephanie! Nice to see your post here and wonderful to hear how you are focussing in all the right ways, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:43 pm GMT-7

    Thank you, ladies. I am so thankful my poem was a blessing to you. You, in turn, were a blessing to me. (Don't you love it how that works?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your poem exemplifies the exact attitude we've been talking about in our Word Warrior challenge. Thanks for encouraging every one of us!

    Bobbi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pauline Miller11:30 am GMT-7

    Woa...Maybe I am the one! I sucked in my breath as I read this; That is what God whispers in my ear when I don't know where to go with my writing. "Write for one," He says. I actually wrote about that yesterday...amazing but not really. I enjoyed your blog today. Would love to know more about your picture books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Steph. I recently read on Facebook, "Do for one what you wish you could do for many."
    Just wanted to say, today I'm receiving your hug, your smile and your encouragement. I am one you have blessed today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This reminded me of words my sister shared with me years ago about a book/writing--The Audience of One, (there) the one being God. Thank you Steph-these were words I needed to hear as well.
    jocelyn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Steph,
    This is what I focused on in my writing excerpt this month too--to focus on the one rather than the hundreds or millions. A GREAT focus to have. Thanks for the poem, Steph.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so glad there are writers like you! We need that special touch, that warmth and encouragement from time to time. Isn't it mysterious how God has gifted us all uniquely; even within the realm of writing we all have different passions and callings. Keep on following God's call in your life - we need you!
    Pam Mytroen

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.