May 19, 2014

Conversations will Begin Again by Linda Aleta Tame

I’ve always loved writing poetry. For years I neglected the craft, and now the joy of returning to it is indescribable. It makes me so happy! Sometimes it makes me sad too, and that's okay.  It’s all good.

I’m currently working on a book of poetry, entitled Rim of the Visible World. The collection will include several sections, a few of which are entitled: “Here We Come A Ghazaling,” “Echoes,” “A Bit of Ham” and “Rim of the Visible World.”

The idea for this book came about during a poetry class I attended. For homework, my professor assigned the exercise of simply sitting in silence, doing nothing, for at least an hour a day. Admittedly, I didn’t always do my homework, but when I did, I felt tranquil and able to sift my thoughts. No small feat in my world!

I've tried to continue this process of quieting my spirit, during which bits and pieces of memory, beauty, humour, faith and so on surface and eventually find their place on the page. I think the goal of writing this particular book is primarily to indulge myself, take the liberty to explore a realm that seems mystical to me. Though somewhat selfish, I think it's a good place to start. I’d be delighted if others enjoy my explorations too, so another goal would be publication. I hope to have the manuscript completed by the end of this year.

The piece I’ve included here was written as I grieved the loss of two brothers and a sister to cancer.  The loss is beyond words, no matter how poetic, but in a measure the words bring comfort, and perhaps they'll unite other grieving hearts. 

There is Not Silence

after John Thompson’s Translations of René Char’s –
Eternity at Lourmarin Albert Camus

We have ceased to speak
with those we love,
but there is not silence.
And there will never be.
The rhythm has not changed,
of song and step,
or that simple smile
consisting of one sustained beat. 

A bond so close never falters.
The power of love 
transforms insolent darkness 
into glorious light. 

When that hovering menace
has once and for all,
victimized its last,
love will overwhelm
the perceived severance,
into harmony
with all the parts
of the whole, 
and the conversations will 
begin again.

In memory of three beautiful people who were incredibly loved:  
Clark McCrae, Terry McCrae, and Karen McCrae

7 comments:

  1. Linda, you say you're writing this current WIP (work in progress) to indulge yourself. I've never considered that as motivation for a project. It puts a smile on my face. So often I see my WIP as WORK. Deadlines make it a task, instead of the joy it should be.

    I think I need to recalibrate my opinion! Thank you for raising this perspective.

    Bobbi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda, I love your poem. You really have a gift. And your book titles sound so original and mysterious - love them too. Thank you for sharing this. What a journey you are going through. I do hope you continue to write and share your thoughts. I'm sure they must connect with others going through similar circumstances. Absolutely lovely and gripping.
    Pam Mytroen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda, your pain and passion show through in your writing. I am so sorry that cancer conquered your siblings. Thank the Lord that He has conquered the darkness, though. Wonderful inspiration. Sitting for an hour in silence - what a wonderful way for thoughts to be put into place -not to mention a time to be still and listen! Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your poem fills me with joy on at least two levels :) I love it's elegance, you've captured a world of emotion in such a few words. And my spirit leaps with joy at the picture you paint, "...conversations will begin again." I can see it in my mind's eye, that glorious reunion with our loved ones; it will be awesome! Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like what you said about writing poetry and how it makes you happy and sometimes sad. What caught my attention is the fact that you said "that's okay." I need to allow myself the freedom to write what I feel like writing and also allow my emotions to follow. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! LOVED the poem. It took me to my "sehnsucht" place (see my last month's blog entry for a definition). Poetry is my passion too and I keep seeking ways to develop it. Thanks for sharing yours with us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have great admiration for poets, especially your obvious gift. Forgive me for being jealous, but I'm not gifted this way at all.
    Poetry has the tendency, like music, to touch the emotions, something I covet!
    Bryan

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.