May 20, 2014

Do You Really Want To Print That? by Brenda J Wood

The line she whispered as we prayed together got my attention.

“Lord, may my conversations be so pure that I could end them with “In Jesus’ Name. Amen”

 OUCH!

I thought of my complaint about the slow service at the coffee shop.

I remembered how I gossiped about a neighbour.

Of course I’d made my thoughts known about a recent newspaper editorial.

I knew when I said them that none of them honoured Christ. I knew that I wouldn’t ever add his name to any of them because they were not pleasing to Him. I’m reviewing my words more carefully now…before I say them… instead of after. NOTE: it’s even worse when they end up in print with your name on the by-line.

Are you using any of your writing as a way to get back at someone? Think before you publish.

Prayer: Father God, may the words of our mouths and the meditations of our heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, our Rock and our Redeemer. Amen (from Psalm 19:14, NIV)


Brenda J Wood
http:// heartfeltdevotionals.com



10 comments:

  1. Thanks for the reminder Brenda.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a convicting post. I've been arguing with a professing Christian on Linked In about the tone of his replies being offensively superior. This person just couldn't understand that it wasn't a personal attack which three list members and I launched at him but an admonishment to humble himself rather than lording it over everybody. I had to beg Christ's forgiveness for wanting to type "shut up, Floyd" when responding to yet another of his obtuse accusations. I'm learning to ask that God will put a guard on my mouth, or fingers, but it still is hard to resist blasting rather than blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is something we all struggle with. To end each conversation in Jesus name - now that makes me stop and think about what I say! Or write. Good thoughts, Brenda!
    Pam Mytroen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes when I need to work through my feelings about a person or situation, I work through it in my journal and then release it to God. It certainly frees me up from writing it anywhere publicly, where it would be hurtful. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Brenda.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a good reminder! Last week I wrote a letter to my MLA and the Minister of Alberta Health regarding a situation with my father. He was moved to a nursing home and his roommate attacked him the first night. I had to re-read it carefully to make sure those who did their best (the staff, who moved him to the only empty bed, which happened to be in the locked dementia unit) were acknowledged, and that the problem (inadequate home care) was not personalized.

    Yes, our words have to tread a fine line - be they spoken or written. I guess I could always use, "Would Jesus say this?" as a measure. Yikes! That would make me take pause, I bet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great word! I need to hear that often. I pray the prayer of Jabez daily, which ends 'May your hand be upon me to keep me from evil so I will not cause pain'. Forethought is easier than having to ask forgiveness later.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There were many times when Christ used sharp words BUT his anger was righteous. We tend to lash out at people who attack us personally rather than being Christ-like. Furthermore, Jesus' anger was because his sheep were being fleeced by false shepherds. We need to examine why we're angry rather than shoot first and ask questions later.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the good word Brenda.

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks for the nudge Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  10. I sometimes think that every word is recorded in heaven for eternity. Do we want all our words "printed" in this way?
    Good reminder Brenda.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.