May 13, 2014

My Cheerleader by T. L. Wiens

It’s important to have someone in your life that believes in you. I’m lucky to have such person in my life—my mother. She’s always been someone I can go to for support.

My mom isn’t just one of those parents who offer blind encouragement. She’s honest. I let her read my rough manuscripts and they come back to me covered in comments. If one of my stories doesn’t appeal to her, she tells me. She’s my first line of help in the long journey of writing a book.

I’ve watched shows on television where parents are standing behind their child, telling them they’re a star when in reality, it’s an unattainable dream. The child doesn’t have the talent. I often think it would be better for the parent to be honest so that the child could pursue true talents. I would be upset with my mom if she lied to me.

I’m blessed with a mother who gives me a true edit, not just in my writing but with many life decisions. But she’s not one to force her opinions on me. She’s watched me make mistakes and been there to help pick up the pieces. Since I was a teenager, my mom has told me that she taught me right from wrong and that I knew the right decision in most situations. It was up to me to take the right path. And she’s shown me a path of integrity and love that I try to follow so I too won’t be a blind cheerleader for those around me but an honest editor as well.



7 comments:

  1. You sound blessed to have a wonderful mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She sounds like a mom that is strong enough to tell the truth, but gentle enough to encourage you when things go sideways. Not many moms could give an honest edit, so you are very blessed, Tammy! I'm sure you are a great mom as well!
    Pam Mytroen

    ReplyDelete
  3. You write a great job description for me, to be that kind of mom for my adult kids. Thanks!

    Bobbi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments. My mom is a blessing even though there are times when it doesn't feel that. I'm sure my children would say the same about me. Loving someone doesn't always get the reception you expect or desire.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an encouragement your Mom has been to you. God has blessed you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Three cheers for Moms! What a special mom you have, Tammy. Bless her for balancing truth with love. I sure miss my Mom, who had the same ability to 'edit.' Sometimes it hurt - but truth's like that!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.