I am reading a book on my Kindle called "You are a Writer - so Start Acting Like One" by Jeff Goins.
There is no hard copy but I would love to be able to flip back through the pages; put notes in the margins; highlight in yellow or pink and generally use it as a reference book.
Instead I did use the highlight function on my Kindle (my Kindle is first generation - so highlighting is not easily done). Some passages spoke to me and I want to share those with you today.
- "Believe you already are what you want to be. And then start acting like it." (110-117)
- He compared writing to running a marathon. He asked himself where did the discipline to train come from. The answer, "It happened from doing the work, creating habits and building momentum... If you do anything long enough, it becomes habitual." (208-216)
- "Multitasking is a myth. You can either create or react. But you can't do both. Choose wisely." (252-260)
- "Here is the truth: There is no wrong thing. Just begin. Once you learn how to finish, you'll be able to start again. (267-274)
- Jeff gave three important things we need to have as writers:
- A PLATFORM - "Be a resource to others. Do favors. Be selfless."
- A BRAND
- CHANNELS (345-348) (You need to read the book to expand on these)
- RESOURCES: You need resources to start your own self-hosted blog:
- Three Important Relationships:
- FANS - those who admire your work
- FRIENDS - peers to help you get better
- PATRONS - people of influence - mentors (594-601)
I finished Jeff's book this morning. I highly recommend it. The last couple of chapters really inspired me but you will have to read for yourself.
My friend, Janet Sketchley, wrote today about being a writer called Writer, Who are you Really?
To all my writer friends - I have stepped out and have taken the challenge.
|Tadeo (TAD-ay-OH) Turtle|
Tadeo Turtle should be published sometime in September by Word Alive. Tadeo Turtle is a story for children about a little turtle who longs to be someone different. In this adventure he learns to accept how God has created him.
Janis, a former school teacher and small business owner, found a new passion in writing in her retirement.
She has published a couple of devotionals and a number of articles. Her Bible study is available in PDF.
As owner of Under the Cover of Prayer and A Better Way, she writes often.
Her children's book, Tadeo Turtle, is scheduled for release in September. Email her at Janis or visit her at www. janiscox.com.