September 24, 2024

Unsung Heroes ~ Valerie Ronald

                                                                                    image by Pixabay

Most writers have them. People in their lives who encourage, help and believe in their calling ˗˗ the unsung heroes of a writer’s journey. Without seeking recognition or praise, they find ways to smooth the path so the writer can move ahead in confidence. An unsung hero is not well known but has a significant impact from behind the scenes.  

My mother was an unsung hero in my writing journey. She listened to me read my fledgling stories when I began to test my writing wings as a child. She told me I had a way with words. When I wanted to enroll in a journalism program after graduating from high school, her belief in my writing ability gave me confidence to do so. Although her early dreams of becoming a nurse were never realized, she wanted to do what she could to help me with mine.

At one point I was discouraged from pursuing my writing by someone who felt threatened by any independence I exhibited. Now I share my life with my husband, who encourages me in numerous ways to exercise the gift God has given me. He makes sure I have the right tools, like a good computer and space to write. He finds an audience for my writing by publishing my devotionals on the back of our church bulletin. When I need time and quiet to write, he accommodates those needs within our life together. He and my mother are just two of the unsung heroes of my writing journey. Teachers, employers, critique group members, fellow writers and readers also join the ranks of those who have a part in any success I have in the writing field. They have affirmed me, prayed for me, guided me, and helped me in big and small practical ways to pursue my dream.

Writers can sometimes suffer from fragile, sensitive egos. We pour our hearts out on the page, fussing over our creations like a mother with a child. It is daunting to put our writing out to the public, where it can be a possible target for criticism or rejection. Having someone behind the scenes who believes in our gifting can give us the confidence to pursue our craft, or keep trying when we’ve had a setback.

The biblical character, Barnabas, is an example of an unsung hero, appearing in the pages of scripture for that very reason. His name means “son of encouragement”, because he helped and supported others in their endeavors to further the gospel of Christ. He is mentioned frequently in the book of Acts, especially because of his advocacy of the Apostle Paul.

Although formerly a persecutor of Christians, Paul was recommended to the apostles by Barnabas, who spoke boldly of his dramatic conversion and newfound faith in Christ. He brought Paul to Antioch where they worked together, teaching the people. After his cousin, John Mark, abandoned Paul and Barnabas on their first missionary journey, Barnabas mentored the young man, restoring him to a position of usefulness in the ministry. Barnabas did not seek recognition for himself, choosing to make an impact encouraging others for the greater good.

An unsung hero in your writing journey may be the one who makes meals for you when you are working toward a deadline, or takes care of your children, or shares some contacts within the publishing field to help you get started. Sometimes someone critiquing your work to improve it can make a difference. Rather than take those who help us for granted, we need to express our appreciation with gratitude and affirmation.

Our unsung heroes are good role models for how we, in turn, can help others exercise their gifting. I know from experience how crucial others’ support is to me as I seek to fulfill God’s call to write. Doing the same for someone else pursuing their dream encourages them, and is a way of thanking God for His provision of our own mentors and helpers.
 

Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others. In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus. (Phil. 2:3-5a NIV)

Valerie Ronald writes from an old roll top desk in Portage la Prairie, Manitoba, with her tortoiseshell cat for a muse. A graduate of Langara College School of Journalism, she writes devotionals, fiction and inspirational prose. Her purpose in writing is to encourage others to grow in their spiritual walk.
 

20 comments:

  1. I loved your post, Valerie. What a gift unsung heroes are in our lives as writers -- those Barnabases who encourage and hold us up, especially when we 'suffer from fragile, sensitive egos'. Your writing is always a joy to read. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, Brenda. In a world where criticism and personal attacks are rampant, encouragement is a welcome affirmation.

      Delete
  2. Thank you, dear Valerie, for beautifully reminding us to be thankful for the behind the scenes helpers in our lives. Amen to being an unsung hero in the lives of others.
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Wendy. It takes purposefulness to encourage others without expecting reward. (something you are good at!)

      Delete
  3. Terrie Todd9:44 am GMT-7

    Lovely, Valerie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Valerie. It is indeed a gift to have those unsung heroes in life's journey. And it's a good reminder to be like Barnabas in the lives of others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Lorrie. In our often isolated craft, we need encouragement and affirmation.

      Delete
  5. Yes unsung heroes play a huge role. Thank you for the reminder

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting. Encouragement is so important.

      Delete
  6. Hooray for unsung heroes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, Tracy! Often unsung but today we celebrate them!

      Delete
  7. Michelle Strutzenberger4:12 pm GMT-7

    Love this. Thank you. I have several unsung heroes on my writing journey. Your post has reminded me to be grateful for them - and express that gratitude. I am also convicted to ensure I am encouraging others on their writing paths.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, Michelle. Expressing our gratitude to our unsung heroes affirms their positive place in our lives.

      Delete
  8. Wonderful post, Valerie. Though seen as a lone venture, every writer needs others. Thanks for this bouquet to the unsung heroes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they deserve a bouquet. This writer's blog certainly affirms us in our craft. Thank you!

      Delete
  9. Valerie, I cannot tell you how much I love your words on behalf of unsung heroes. My mind immediately went on a journey of over sixty years ago to my favourite teacher, Miss Gordon. I love her to this day for how she encouraged me and noticed me. There have been other unsung heroes through the years. Other than my mother, Miss Gordon remains in my heart. Blessings to you and your husband, Valerie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alan. I imagine we all have teachers who have become our unsung heroes as they recognize gifting and encourage us to reach further.

      Delete
  10. Yes, we all have unsung heroes in our lives, that's for sure! Have you seen the movie, Unsung Hero, about the journey of the Smallbone family (Rebecca St. James and For King and Country)? In their story, the mom is the unsung hero. Well worth watching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I haven't see the movie, Susan. I will try to find it and watch it. Thanks for the comment and the recommendation.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.