September 02, 2024

U is for Understand ~ by Wendy L. Macdonald

 


Something surprising happened during my 1981 college English class. But first, let’s set the stage.

In those days I was exponentially insecure about my writing because my English professor said I was verbose. His bluntness helped me face my need to slash vast sections of early drafts. I needed to get to the point without padding projects with unimportant details.  

Our last essay of the year counted for much of our final grade. The pressure to be precise was immense. I don’t perform well under pressure. I freeze. While I was stuck in the research stage of the topic I was intrigued by, another student asked me to read her essay.

This only added to my insecurity. I was impressed by how brave the student was to already have her project completed. And the scope of her essay was deep and wide. Since I got lost in the big words and long sentences, I figured she must be smarter than me. How could I write anything worth reading when I couldn’t understand a classmate’s writing? Was I out of my league? Was I going to fail?

One thing I appreciate about my personality is that I’m competitive. I don’t like to give up without a fight.

The night before the essay was due, I pulled a near-all-nighter. My work was finally done.

The huge surprize came when I found out my classmate’s essay failed and mine got top marks.

Huh?

It didn’t take me long to realize that mine did well because I stuck to my outline. My essay gave the reader facts in easy-to-understand language. Big words and long sentences that lose the reader aren’t fun or informative. 

Overly embellished pages are quicksand that bogs readers down in unnecessary details. They’re dead ends that prevent our audience from understanding what we gleaned from research and experience.

They’re failing grades.

...whoever refreshes others will be refreshed.

Proverbs 11:25 NIV

What have you learned from a humbling critique of your writing? I’m nosy to know.      

Wendy L. Macdonald is an inspirational blogger and YouTuber who loves photographing nature on Vancouver Island. Her happy place is making junk journals to sell in her Etsy shop. Her byline is: “My faith is not shallow because I’ve been rescued from the deep.”


17 comments:

  1. Thanks for this wonderful post about lessons learned, Wendy. I appreciated the following lines - “Overly embellished pages are quicksand that bogs readers down in unnecessary details. They’re dead ends that prevent our audience from understanding what we gleaned from research and experience.” - a nugget of truth for sure. Also loved the Proverbs verse. A great kickoff for this month. Blessings on your day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elizabeth Danna9:49 am GMT-7

    Well said, Wendy! I think that your post could be summed up in four easily-remembered words: "Keep it simple, sister!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. We all need to hear this. Sometimes less is more...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a powerful truth in so many ways. Blessings.

      Delete
  4. I agree with Tracy, we all need to hear this... sometimes less is more.

    I didn't have anyone tell me that I was 'verbose' in so many words, but from contest feedback I received, I got the message my pieces were sometimes too wordy. When I reread old drafts, I began to see how right they were and began learning the craft of paring down. It's still not easy, because although I'm not a chatterbox in person, I am one in my writing. :)

    Thanks so much, Wendy, for your wonderful post today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your writing is beautiful, dear Brenda. Literary and memoir are wonderful places for lovely sentences to bloom with abandon. I love this style. Blessings.

      Delete
  5. Wendy, thank you for this lesson from your writing experience. If I was told I was verbose in my early college years, I would have to turn to a dictionary to determine the meaning of the word. :) Easy to understand language is a gift to our readers. Blessings to you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you & blessings, dear Alan. Poignant writing--like yours--is a gift too.

      Delete
  6. Thank you for this great start to the month Wendy. My downfall is long complex sentences that lose the reader. I always find some while I am revising. If I can't follow the thought in the sentence, then neither can my reader. This is a timely reminder to look for them as I embark on my next project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can relate well to your words, dear Lorilee. Breaking a long sentence into two often fixes the problem. This was also taught to me via wise critiques. Blessings as we boldly keep writing and editing.

      Delete
  7. Anonymous9:11 am GMT-7

    What a wise way to start our month, Wendy! Paring down is always a challenge, but it's well worth the effort. Sandi Somers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is worth it. Thank you and blessings, dear Sandi.

      Delete
  8. One thing I've learned from my involvement with critique groups is I'm better at identifying the nitty-gritty issues and errors than seeing the big picture, at least when it comes to fiction. I'm not quite sure what to do about that and welcome any suggestions!

    This post ties in very nicely with Brenda Wood's this month!

    Kudos on your competitive spirit and top marks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good on you, dear Susan, for understanding your strength for seeing the small but important details. I think being critique partners with someone who has the opposite talent would work well. Both gifts are equally needed to wrap up a book beautifully.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.