September 17, 2024

U is for Underwood by Lorilee Guenter


Recently I picked up an old Underwood Standard desktop typewriter. Compared to newer typewriters it is huge. Based on my research, it improved the technology of the time. It made administrative work easier because of adjustments to the mechanisms. In 1934, there were typewriters in every office the way we have computers today. The Underwood was one of the popular models. Unlike our computers, typewriters had one purpose- to create documents. 

My typewriter sat unused for an unknown amount of time. Dust and rust hinder the smooth movement of the type slugs. The ribbon is dry. In short, this machine- a workhorse in its time- is unable to fulfill its function. But it is a beautiful machine. With care it can be restored. The restoration will take time as I learn the intimate details of this machine and its needs. My Underwood will still bear scars that hint at the story of its life when I'm finished. 

As I blew out the first clouds of dust, I found myself thinking about how God is restoring me. When I wander away from Him, I get dusty. My words get rusty when I choose to leave my pen in the drawer. I no longer fulfill the work God has for me- the purpose He made me for when I withdraw from everything. Like the modern computer, I try to do many things. Like the Underwood, I have one purpose- relationship with God my Saviour. Everything else flows from that. God has been gently restoring me for decades. He will continue until I take my last breath [Philippians 1:6].  

In order to complete the restoration of this machine, I will have to remove pieces. Some of them will be replaced, like the dry ribbon, some will be polished and restored. As he restores us to Himself, God removes pieces. He polishes other pieces, scrapping away the decay. When I stay connected to Him and accept His work in my life, I will not need the major overhaul that I once did. I am grateful for that.

As I learn the inner workings of my machine, I can be confident that God does not need to pause and learn what I need next. He knows. Nothing will surprise Him regarding my needs. Nothing. He knows my desires, my strengths and my weaknesses. He is already working with them, restoring and rebuilding my life.

I look forward to the day my Underwood standard desktop typewriter is all polished and functional. What a treat it will be to type on this classic machine. However, I am even more excited to see how God continues to restore me and those around me. 

11 comments:

  1. What a beautiful analogy you crafted, dear Lorilee. Yes, God is faithful to continue the restoration process in us.
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wendy, God's restoration has been a recurring theme for me recently. I am so thankful He is faithful in continuing this process.

      Delete
  2. This is such a beautiful piece, Lorilee! I also have an old typewriter but not quite as classic as yours. It is an ornament in my office.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I debated buying this beauty. It needs a bunch of work to function at its best. The final piece in to buy or not to buy was when my 7 year old nephew told me I should. He doesn't even type yet but recognised the intrigue in this machine.

      Delete
  3. What an old beauty. And what fun you must be having learning its history as you restore it. I agree with Wendy, it's a beautiful analogy you've crafted for us. Thank you, Lorilee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Brenda. I am enjoying my research as I learn the story of these typewriters. It is easy to get lost in the history. It is even easier to get lost in God's love and faithfulness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lorilee, the picture of that old Underwood takes me back. My dad had one on his desk for years, and I might even have learned to type on it! Thanks for this wonderful post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of my teachers was THE fastest two finger typist and he used an Underwood. What a wonderful analogy, Lorilee. So thankful God never sends us to the dump but keeps on His endless redeeming work. Lovely post and a great machine!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for this encouraging message, Lorilee. As I get older, I am aware that parts of me are already worn out. I love you have a vision to restore the old Underwood. I am thankful to God for His vision to restore us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful analogy you've written. These words resonated with me "When I stay connected to Him and accept His work in my life, I will not need the major overhaul I once did." Have fun learning about your Underwood!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Michelle Strutzenberger11:23 am GMT-7

    Thanks Lorilee. These words really struck me: "When I wander away from Him, I get dusty. My words get rusty when I choose to leave my pen in the drawer. I no longer fulfill the work God has for me- the purpose He made me for when I withdraw from everything."

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.