September 08, 2023

I is for Internet by Bob Jones



Have you ever wondered what the “i” in iPhone, iMac, iPad or in the 20 other Apple products stands for?

May 6, 1998, when Steve Jobs launched the iMac, he talked about the story behind the name. "iMac comes from the marriage of the excitement of the internet with the simplicity of the Macintosh. We are targeting this for the number one use that consumers tell us they want a computer for, which is to get on the internet---simply and fast."

Apple Anyone?

Perhaps you can tell I’m an Apple guy. Don’t hold that against me. And I’m a fan of the “information superhighway.” The internet changed the way I write because it changed the way I read. How about you?

Thanks to specific software like Grammarly, I no longer need to be a good speller and know all the rules of punctuation. My computer, tablet, and smartphone hold me by the hand and autocorrect my mistakes. Most times that works out well. And then there is online style. In attempting to convey tone of voice have you used the online friendly ALL CAPS or worddd lengthennning?

There are two other outstanding benefits of the internet for me.

1. Writers are connecting with a real time audience.

Writing no longer happens in a void. Because of the internet, other people are reading, and often responding instantly. Readers comment, like, share, quote, re-post, and purchase content in real time.

Readers on this blog are good at responding with appreciative comments about a post within 18 hours of posting. That's what community is all about.

Making use of online word processors like Google Docs allows for editing and collaboration on a global scale.

2. Fingertip Knowledge

Curtis Bonk in his book, The World is Open, points out the benefits of “fingertip knowledge.” (The ability to access huge stores of digital information rapidly.) He points out that lifelong learning dreams discussed decade after decade in the twentieth century are being realized in the twenty-first century. It’s much easier to find appropriate examples or verify facts.

That’s how I sourced the Steve Jobs quote in this post. As a 1970’s University student looking for a similar quote, I would have been forced to take a bus to campus, walk to the library, search on microfiche, write down the quote and then ride the bus home. Hours then, minutes now.

The internet, like every other human innovation, comes with liabilities but the benefits of an iWorld outweigh the dangers.

How has the interest influenced your world and your writing? 

 

The view of Inscribe from my iMac. 

Thank you for reading and commenting and being a part of this digital community.

Bob Jones

14 comments:

  1. Like you, Bob, I'm a huge fan of my Apple iPhone and the Internet! When I took up blogging years ago, I really came to appreciate the benefit of the Internet when I saw how quickly I could connect with my readers. Sometimes almost instantly, in real time, from the moment I posted to receiving my first comment. As a girl who loves words of affirmation (in Chapman's lingo), this really meant a lot to me.

    And I'm forever reaching for my iPhone when, amid a discussion with someone, we turn to Google search on the Internet to gather information--like when did that event really happen, or who said that quote.

    Great post, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are I are cut from the same cloth, Brenda. Words of affirmation are life giving. And look - the Internet connected us. From one Apple lover to another, thank you for your words of affirmation.

      Delete
  2. Like you, Bob, the internet changed the way I read and write. It's through blogging that I discovered just how much I love encouraging others with words. And through the personal and professional posts of others I've been inspired too.
    You do this well.
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. None of this interaction and encouragement would happen if not for your Initiative to Inform us of each month's theme, post the first blog and post updates on Facebook. Keep going!

      Delete
  3. Hi Bob! Thank you for this enlightening post. I can imagine me sitting in a workshop as you teach more about the internet. Yes, there are many benefits to the iWorld and as a writer I am thankful how it opens up communities I may never have heard of before. I use Pro writing Aid to assist in punctuation etc. There is still a lot for me to learn about the internet. Thanks again, Bob, for this informative and enjoyable message.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestion of Pro Writing Aid, Alan. I had not heard of that. We help each other get better.

      Delete
  4. Enjoyed your post, Bob. I find the internet the boon and bane of human existence. For the most part I enjoy the communication and community it offers but I also love to unplug now and then. I love my ‘googlator’ but am concerned about the lost art of conversation. Guess we need to tread wisely. Thanks for your informative post. (I myself am an Apple gal. Their products amaze me)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good that you see the bright side of what many see as a dark place called "The Internet." All human creations have their dark side. I love that Inscribe writers like you, Sharon, redeem their portion of the iWorld to share the hope that is in Jesus.

      Delete
  5. Bob, I'm an Apple lover myself. I was just thinking the other day how thankful I am for the Internet most of the time. Living in the country, we're not close to libraries or other resource centres so I appreciate the knowledge at my fingertips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "most of the time." Love that, Joy. The Internet can quickly give us responses, information, and occupy way too much of our time. Or drag us into dark holes. I'll take info at our fingertips like your response over nothing.

      Delete
  6. Bob, the Internet is truly "fingertip knowledge". I used to say that if you want to know something, a book has been written. Now it's all on the internet. And back before internet days, who would have guessed we'd have such instant contact with others!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for being an instant contact, Sandi. For reading and sharing your writing.

      Delete
  7. Oh my! The Internet and smartphones have changed EVERYTHING. And now AI is doing the same... It's hard to keep up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, Tracy. I haven't even gotten to AI yet.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.