September 05, 2023

I is for Influence by Sandi Somers


Have you ever wondered how your writing influences others?

 Two weeks before my mother passed, our church sang, “Be Still My Soul,” I was deeply moved, thinking of Mom, who at almost 95, had always been a strong woman, invincible almost. It was hard for me to let her go. In the days that followed, I wondered how the song became linked with the music of ““Finlandia””, by Jean Sebelius.

 I dug into its history.

 Kathurana Von Schlegel, (1697 to 1768), began a series of links when she wrote the words to a hymn, which is known today as “Be Still My Soul.” Then in the 1800's, a Scottish hymn writer translated the lyrics from German into English.

 The next link in the chain occurred in Finland in 1899. Finland at the time was a province of Russia, having been conquered and annexed in 1809. The Finns, however, continued their deep feelings of nationalism and took increasing pride in their country and culture. In 1899, Czar Nicholas II appointed a Russian Governor and made Russian the official language. Jean Sibelius, a Finnish musician, composed the music of “Finlandia” in support of Finnish nationalism against Russian oppression. This symphonic poem begins with dynamic and turbulent music, reflecting a defiance of Russia. Then out of the tumult, a calm comforting hymn emerges. (When Russia overthrew Czar Nicholas II in 1917, Finland declared its freedom.)

 More than twenty years later, David Evans, a Welsh Oxford-trained musician, paired the English translation of “Be Still My Soul” with “Finlandia. When it was added to the Revised Church Hymnal in 1927, it became the well-known hymn of today.

 Years later, in Ecuador in 1956, a group of missionaries attempted to reach the Auca tribe (known today as the Waorani). Deep in the jungle, this tribe was hostile towards outsiders who tried to encroach on their territory. The missionary team had been praying and making overtures of peace to this group, flying in the mission's Cessna and dropping goodwill parcels. But one day four of the men, along with their pilot, took a further step. They landed along the riverbank, hoping to solidify their overtures of peace.

 The night before this venture, Jim Elliot, husband of writer Elisabeth Elliot, one of the five, sang "Be still my Soul." It was the last song he sang. Because the Auca met the missionaries with spears.  All five missionaries were killed. Their bodies were recovered, some still with spears in their backs, some floating in the water. They left behind wives and young children.

 When I heard this hymn just before my mother died, this song had such an impact on me that my sisters and I chose it for Mom’s memorial service. It still brings tears as I listen to it.

 Little did Kathurana Von Schlegel know how her work would influence others for three centuries.

 As we venture at our desks typing words and paragraphs, as we publish and promote what we have produced, we will never know how God intends to use our works of art, now and in future generations.  But we can praise God for our talent and ask Him to influence many others.

 Listen to “Be Still My Soul” here.

Listen to all of “Finlandia” here.

(Image by Christ Church Cathedral)

16 comments:

  1. Thank you for this deeply stirring and beautifully written post, dear Sandi. Yes, when the Holy Spirit reigns in us, our words can influence others with hope and comfort from God.
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy. Yes, it's the Holy Spirit who inspires and guides us so that we can influence/impact others in the way they need our words.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for this. I had to listen to both of the songs since I wasn't quite familiar... Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracy, im so glad you became more familiar with one of my favourite hymns.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for your wonderful post, Sandi, and for the links to the music. Great research. Thanks for expanding our understanding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your encouraging words, Sharon. Yes, I do love researching things and ideas.

      Delete
  4. Thank you SO much for this bit of history on that wonderful old hymn and that connection to the original music by Sibelius. "Be Still" is an old favourite and no matter when I hear it, it always manages to pull on my heart strings. Beautiful words that continue to influence all these generations later. Just imagine it! Thanks, Sandi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing how this hymn has impacted you, Brenda! Sometimes a song becomes more meaningful when we know the story behind its composition.

      Delete
  5. Wow, thank you, Sandi, for this walk down this holy memory lane. I love the hymn. I am also familiar with the missionary ministry of Jim Elliot and his colleagues. I also remember hearing Elizabeth on the radio many times. Such a wonderful message and encouragement you have gifted us with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alan. I was encouraged as I read how meaningful this hymn and it's history is to you.

      Delete
  6. Thank you so much for this post, Sandi! I am so encouraged by the reminder through your telling of this hymn's story that we never know how God will use our creative efforts now and in the future. But, as you write, we can praise Him and ask Him to influence many others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michelle, for encouraging me and others to ask God to increase our influence. If we ask, He will surely do it!

      Delete
  7. Sandi, I love hymn stories. Thank you for adding another one to my repertoire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed the hymn story, Bob. I've read many, but this one I hadn't known before I researched it. The puzzling connection between a hymn and Finlandia, which is one of my favourites, had always intrigued me. And now we both know.

      Delete
  8. Sandi, this story thrills me in so many ways but mostly that the words of Kathurana Von Schlegel still resonate centuries later. Wow. So inspiring. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so happy to know this song was such an inspiration to you, Joy!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.