September 04, 2023

I is for Insight ~ by Brenda J Wood

For most writers, this story will be hard to understand. I came across the best poem; one that described a human condition common to all of us. It came attached with the proviso that republication must be given by a certain person (not the author!)

I did the right thing. I wrote and asked for that permission and the reply was, “No, thank you! She didn’t want any money for its use; she simply didn’t want to let it be used.

The funny thing is that I first came across the poem on a friend’s online site, with no strings attached! More investigation cast doubt on the poem’s true authorship. 

The whole thing is a conundrum, but it caused me to ask myself: What happens when I pass? Who owns my copyrights? Will some distant relative decide that they do and then decide whether or not people get to read my scribbles?

The following is from the Canadian Intellectual Property Office. I suggest you read it in full.

Copyright is the exclusive legal right to produce, reproduce, publish or perform an original literary, artistic, dramatic or musical work. The creator is usually the copyright owner. However, an employer—for example, a film studio—may have a copyright in works created by employees unless there is an agreement in place stating otherwise.

As of December 30, 2022, the general term of copyright protection in Canada changes from 50 to 70 years after the death of the author. 

When you own the copyright in a work, you control how it is used in order to protect its value. Others who want to use the work have to buy or otherwise get your permission.

Generally, an original work is automatically protected by copyright the moment you create it. By registering your copyright, you receive a certificate issued by the Canadian Intellectual Property Office that can be used in court as evidence that you own it.

Your copyright exists in Canada during your lifetime and for 70 years following your death. After that, the work is in the public domain, and anyone can use it. This is true for most works, but there are exceptions.

There is the rub, isn’t it? Shakespeare’s 400th cousin could be living off his writings today if he had made a will.

On the other hand, Agatha Christie Limited (ACL) has been managing the literary and media rights to Agatha Christie's works around the world since 1955, when the company was set up by Christie herself. Christie's family and family trusts, including great-grandson James Prichard, continue to own the 36% stake in Agatha Christie Limited. Perhaps all this is partly the reason that Agatha Christie's books continue to be so popular.

What will I do now? I don’t know. What about you?



Brenda J Wood has authored more than fifty books. She is a seasoned motivational speaker, who declares the Word of God with wisdom, humour, and common sense.

11 comments:

  1. Thank you for giving us vital food for thought, dear Brenda. I'm glad there are laws in place to protect artists. It's wise to make sure we stay under this umbrella.
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is most interesting. Thanks, Brenda, for raising the issue of copyright and what happens to our scribblings when we die.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for this post. I appreciate the information and the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for drawing this to our attention, Brenda. It's a question I don't yet have answers for, but will need to consider later on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks very much for this information, Brenda. Great to know these things that perhaps we don’t consider often enough.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ramona furst10:19 am GMT-7

    Happy GOD has the ultimate copyright details of my life and work well in hand. (: I never thought this part through . Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an interesting post, Brenda. I knew about these copyright laws when I published my children's book THE SLEEPYTOWN EXPRESS because I had to get permission from Haven Gillespie's estate. I also thought to put a clause in one of the contracts for another book I published ANGELS WATCHING OVER ME, THE MEMOIRS OF GILLES GODDARD. However, I never considered wht these laws would mean for ME and my work... Food fo thought!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's an interesting perspective I had not considered. And regarding your intro story, most authors are willing to share their originals with permission. Writers are generous when they can be.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is helpful information, Brenda, that we creative types probably don't think about enough. Do you happen to have a website link for more on this subject?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for this informative post, Brenda. In answer to one of your question, "What will I do now?" I will take a further look into copyright in Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so helpful. Thank you Brenda!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.