June 13, 2023

Fun with Fiction by Steph Beth Nickel

 



I am in the process of writing a YA speculative fiction book, Rule and Reign. One of the characters my critique partner particularly likes in a young boy who is always running wherever he goes.

Below is the scene in which he's introduced. I hope you enjoy it!

After traveling almost as far as my old room, I’m still so focused on convincing myself that I have every right to explore the castle that I nearly fail to sidestep a young boy, no more than seven sun-cycles old, who comes dashing around the corner and almost collides with me. He pulls up short and his jaw drops. 

“I’m so sorry, Your Highness. I… I… Please don’t tell my ma. She’s always scolding me fer running in the halls. But then, she scolds me fer being late.” He exhales loudly and looks away. “I don’t understand.” He’s rocking back and forth. I doubt he’s used to standing still for any more than a few measures.

“What’s your name?”

“I’m Todd, Your Highness.”

I smile widely. “It sounds a lot like my father’s name. His name was Trad.”

“Oh, I know.” He bounces up and down. “He was my hero. He was strong and brave and kind.” More quietly he adds, “And he never told Ma when he found me running through the halls.”

I laugh. Todd’s head snaps up. “You laughed. Ma says royals don’t do that—no one ’cept Prince Trad.” 

“It will be our secret. Okay?”

Todd nods his head vigorously. 

“So, Todd, where were you off to just now?”

“Ma said I could go t’ the stables. My best friend works there. He just cleans up after the horses, but sometimes, he gets to watch the soldiers train if he does an extra good job.”

“The stables, huh? Would you mind if I came along?”

The boy puts his still-chubby hands on his hips. “Princess, this is yer castle. The stable and horses are yers too. You can go anywhere ya want.”

“Well, Todd, I guess you’re right. Then, it’s off to the stables we go.”

“And you won’t tell my ma I was running?”

“If you won’t tell my grandmother I was laughing.”

“That’s easy. The Council Lead doesn’t know I ’xist.”

I sigh. That’s probably true. “Now, let’s go see some horses.”

“I don’t s’pose you want to run. Do you?” he adds, eyes wide.

I shake my head. “It’s probably best if the Princess of Betria isn’t seen running in the halls.”

He shrugs and sighs. “I guess.”

7 comments:

  1. Thank you, dear Steph Beth, for this fun introduction to your fictional characters. I can see why your critique partner likes the boy. The princess is also likeable. You've set up a sweet relationship between these two and showed us a lot about them with few words. Well done.
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:28 am GMT-7

    What a delightful exchange. Both your characters are fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think these two might have kindred hearts. Happy writing, Steph.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a delightful young fellow! It’s wonderful that the princess has a heart of compassion and shows her humanity. I bet she also has a twinkle in her eye. Thanks for sharing, Steph.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous1:12 pm GMT-7

    I love it! Can't wait to read the entire book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this! Can't wait for the novel!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How wonderful, Steph! The book will be a delight to read.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.