June 08, 2023

F is For Fischler The Maven by Bob Jones


Remember when magazines arrived in the mail? The best moments of the month were the days the postman dropped the Sports Illustrated magazine  into our mailbox. The first article I turned to was written by Stan Fischler.  I thought he was the best sportswriter alive.

 

Fischler is a big deal. He is an Emmy award-winning journalist and broadcaster. His career in hockey coverage spans eight decades. He’s in the US Hockey Hall of Fame, is America’s foremost hockey historian and author or co-author of over 100 books on hockey.

 

He is 90 years old and still writing.

 

Boston Bruins

 

I liked Fischler because he had insight to little-known facts about players and refs. When my Boston Bruins won the Stanley Cup in 1972, he wrote the cover story. Fischler was a Ranger's fan and writer so he wrote from his disappointment when the Bruins beat the Rangers.

 

He told stories in a readable style. From his article in the March 1970 edition,

 

“Chadwick, you bum, you're as blind as a bat!"

For 16 years, from 1939 to 1955, a baker with an upper-register decibel count hurled this specific charge at National Hockey League Referee Bill Chadwick from his seat in the reaches of Madison Square Garden. Each time Chadwick heard the critic yell he would chuckle to himself. Quietly, however, for he was not about to tell that fan—or anyone else if he could help it—that the charge was half true. As an official in one of the world's fastest major sports, Bill Chadwick was burdened with an astonishing handicap—he had vision in only his left eye.”

 

The Maven

 

Stan Fischler’s nickname suits him. His peers call him The Maven. A maven is "a trusted expert in a particular field, who seeks to pass timely and relevant knowledge on to others."

 

His nickname made me think about how writers want to be known. How could we write in such a way that some teenager reading a piece we wrote would look forward to the next time our content was published? What nickname would readers or writers ascribe to you? Or to me?


When I attended the University of Waterloo in the early 70s my dorm mates called me "The Phantom" because I was always in the computer room or library and seldom interacted with anyone. The nickname prompted me to join a rec ball hockey team to make better connections. Three games in I took a high stick, broke a tooth and a teammate drove me to a hospital for stitches. I wonder what Fischler would have written about my hockey experience?

 

If you had a nickname as a writer, what would it be?  Please leave a comment below. Thank you.

 

 

Thank you for reading. Bob writes stories at REVwords.com


He is a pastor at heart, author, coach, and Poppa to 5 grandchildren.

9 comments:

  1. Thank you, Bob, for helping us get to know you better. When you mentioned The Maven was still writing at age 90, I smiled. This gives late bloomers hope their words still matter.
    I think Mr. Dependable is a suitable nickname for you as a writer. We can depend on you to instruct, encourage, and entertain us via your blog posts. Thank you for this.
    My nickname could be The Journal Queen because I journal every day and am collecting writing ideas this way too. (I also make journals.)
    I've been journaling with Jesus for nearly 40 years.
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, JQ. That will be an ongoing nickname for you.

      Delete
  2. I so enjoyed this peek into your youth. I, too, used to love when magazines arrived in the mail - there'd be something new in the house to read. I'm sorry to say that until I read your piece, your hockey icon Stan Fischler was unknown to me--not being a hockey fan except for a brief stint during the Gretzky era in the '80s. He sounds an amazing man - what a career. I won't venture to give you a writer's nickname, but I can say that I really do look forward to your posts each month. You always give your readers something new and interesting to mull on. Thanks, Bob!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brenda. I learn so much from the writing styles of yourself and Inscribe writers. A bit of writers envy. The way writers are able to draw an emotional response through their words is remarkable. Your post on FREE was genius.

      Delete
  3. Great piece, especially now since the NHL Stanley Cup playoffs are in full swing! I don't know what my nickname would be... I will have to ruminate on that one for a while, but it certainly makes me think...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If we worked in the same office your nickname would be "TK" or "Trace" or "Krauser." As a writer it would be "Rock Star" because that's who you are.

      Delete
  4. Great post ‘Phantom’ Bob. Love all the interesting tidbits and the to me word, maven. Loved the he arrival of magazines in our household growing up. Are you still a Bruins fan? They had such a great season this year. A shame they missed the playoffs. (I’m a Leafs fan myself, ever since I was a kid) No nicknames here…yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bruins fan for life. For the pain. All fans of Boston (Bruins, Celtics, Red Sox) know never to get their hopes up in the playoffs until the championship is won. Only the Patriots won consistently and you have to take a train from Boston to get to the stadium. Bruins and Leafs fans both long suffering.

      Delete
  5. Bob, what an inspiration The Maven was to write until he was 90! It's a goal we can all reach for, as long as God gives us the ability and mental acuity!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.