June 09, 2023

Fresh Feed by Joylene M Bailey

 


I love spending time with children. They speak with the language they know, without the clichés and idioms common to us grownups. They have a fresh way of seeing, which makes their descriptions captivating and unique.

I once asked my four-year-old grandson what his best friend looked like. He has a long head, was his one and only descriptive reply. At once I imagined a faceless character with a long narrow head that kept him so off-balance he couldn't stop toppling over.

I find that when I've spent time with children, my mind percolates with ideas and dialogue for children's stories. Their way of thinking and speaking informs my child-character's point of view. I'm best at writing for children when I can draw from the bucket of child-interactions I've had. 

When I write for my blog, I often describe things in nature, which requires time spent outdoors, taking in the colours, smells, and sounds of my surroundings. My goal for the blog is to make it a sanctuary for the weary; a place of gentle encouragement; a small restoration of beauty and joy that they can take with them when they head back out into the world. In order to be true to that intention then, I listen to restoring and calming music, read beautiful words, take time to reflect on the beauty of God and His gift of beauty to us. 

It's important to feed the bucket from which I draw so that the writing is fresh and authentic.

~~~~~

~~~~~

I heard an author of historical fiction once say that she spends the weeks and months it takes to write her book listening to the music from that era. While she is doing the non-writing things--cooking, cleaning house, out and about in her car--she immerses herself in the music of the period in which she is writing. That's how she finds fresh feed for her writing bucket.

Dear fellow writer, I realize that you probably already fill your writing bucket with the fresh feed you need for your work-in-progress. But if not, this is your gentle reminder.

As writers we're always looking for ways to keep our writing fresh, aren't we? Now it's your turn. What do you do to feed your writing bucket?

~~~~~



~~~~~


Photo credits:

Child holding bucket - congerdesign from Pixabay

Apples - Jill Wellington from Pixabay

Tulips - Albrecht Fietz from Pixabay

~~~~~

Joy looks forward to spending an extended period of time with her young grandchildren this summer. Ideas will be percolating! Meanwhile, she's happy to feed her writing bucket in other ways, like visiting with neighbours and guests who come through the country home she shares with The Cowboy, nurturing their fledgling gardens, playing with fabric, and reading beautiful words. Find her at Scraps of Joy

15 comments:

  1. Joy, I enjoyed reading how you fill your bucket with fresh feed for imaginative writing. Had a chuckle about your grandson's description of his best friend with the long head. Hanging around your grands certainly gives you much fodder for writing children's books. I was also intrigued by the historical fiction writer you mentioned who spends the season she's writing a new novel listening to the music of that era. That would certainly create new waves of inspiration.

    Thanks for a lovely, fresh post this morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS. In response to your question, Joy, here are a few ways I feed my writing bucket: walks in nature; sitting by a stream of water or in my garden; reading poetry, anthologies, and a wide variety of fiction and non-fiction; looking art books (Monet, Van Gogh, Scottish colourists, etc.); gardening; journaling; coffee times with friends; writing (writing begets writing) - letters, emails, cards in the mail; homemaking and creating a comfy, cozy home. To name a few. :)

      Delete
    2. Thank you Brenda. You've inspired me again with all kinds of fresh feed. And I love that comment - writing begets writing. So true!

      Delete
  2. Dear Joy, this lovely post of yours helped fill my bucket this morning; thank you.
    Diving into God's Word, journaling (I have 6 different themed ones on the go right now.), making art, nature photography, reading widely, and gardening fill my bucket. And yes, hanging out with my grandson absolutely tops up my creative well too.
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, that's a lot of journals but I love that they're all themed. I do start those kind but I never seem to keep them up; I always resort to putting everything in one.

      Delete
  3. What a lovely post and a needed reminder, too! We need to fill our buckets... I love the idea of listening to the music of that particular era, for one thing. I had not thought of that before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that idea too. It would definitely put one in the right mindset. Thanks, Tracy.

      Delete
  4. Ahh, Joy, writer of hug words. I feed my writing bucket by sitting with people and listen to their stories. I walk on our local dike with my beloved and watch birds. I remember fond memories of my parents. I sit on our back porch with our poodle and spy on hummingbirds. I read gentle word pictures like this post and thank God for the gifts in my life. Thank you so much, Joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Writer of hug words." Oh I do love that fresh and authentic comment. :)
      Thanks, Alan.

      Delete
    2. You're welcome, Joy! :)

      Delete
  5. What wonderful ways to fill your bucket, Joy! Your blog posts always encourage, uplift and inspire and fill my bucket. Thanks bunches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm honoured! Thank you so much, Sharon.

      Delete
  6. Thank you, Joy, for being a "writer of hug words", as Alan so aptly described you. Your post caused me to stop and think about what fills my writing bucket. Like previous commenters, nature is vital to inspiration, then meditating on scripture, thoughtful conversations with my husband and friends, reading in different genres, and lots of staring into space in contemplation. Love your post and the photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, lots of staring into space. I agree! Thank you, Valerie.

      Delete
  7. Joy, thanks for your inspiration for us to fill our buckets with inspiration, and for sharing your goal for the blog--"to make it a sanctuary for the weary; a place of gentle encouragement; a small restoration of beauty and joy that they can take with them when they head back out into the world." May your goal be part of mine.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.