February 22, 2023

The Beauty of Words by Lorrie Orr

 


Words are marvelous things. Little bits of sounds and letters combined in infinite ways to convey emotions, intentions, actions, and thoughts about myriads of topics. Like most writers, I am a gatherer of words. Words of other writers make their way into journals and scraps of paper that I someday intend to collate into "Lorrie's Favourite Quotations", including chapters on prayers, the four seasons, food, and so on. It will be eclectic. 

Eclectic. Now there's a fine word. All those hard c sounds make it fun to say. The L adds a bit of tongue twisting. And its meaning: "deriving ideas, style or taste from a broad and diverse range of sources" just adds to the fun. 

In addition to collecting groups of words, I like making lists of single words in my journal or my head, just because. For example: how many colour words can I write down at one sitting? Then there are words that I find beautiful - beautiful to say, beautiful to look at, or beautiful in meaning or memory. Here's a short list of five of my most best-loved words. 

1. Exquisite: extremely beautiful, and typically, delicate
I've loved this word ever since I first read it as a child, in a book describing the young Marie Antoinette. It appealed to me then and has never been replaced. Then I discovered its equivalents in French and Spanish and they just reinforced my liking for this word that combines so many lovely sounds. 

2. Apricity: the warmth of the sun in winter
Now this is an old word that is not found in many dictionaries. Blogger underlines it in red as if to say in a loud voice, "There's a mistake here. Fix it." Well, Mr. Blogger, apricity is a grand word and anyone who lives in Canada and has felt that faint warmth on a still chilly day can appreciate it. 

3. Lichen: a simple, slow-growing plant that typically forms a low crusty, leaflike, or branching growth on rocks, walls, and trees
Who could fail to like the word lichen with its homonym liken? And lichen themselves are determined and friendly things, the result of a partnership...well, we won't get into science here, but I love seeing them grow on bare rocks.

4. Cusp: a point of transition between two different states
Short and to the point, the crispness of cusp conveys change and anticipation - something new is about to happen. Cusp teeters between now and then, before and after, a thin sliver of time.

5. Hissy fit: an outburst of anger, often in a childlike manner
Okay, so this is two words. I'm taking poetic license. I first heard this word from friends from the southern USA and adopted it immediately. "Don't throw a hissy fit," I would say to my children when they were about to erupt. There's a bit of humour in saying the word that defused the situation surprisingly often. 

Oh, I can't stop. Here's one more - the bonus word.

6. Limpid: marked by transparency, clear and simple in style, absolutely serene and untroubled
I first ran across this word in a piece of piano music "From the Limpid Stream" by Frederich Burgmuller. I liked the way the notes trickled throughout the piece like a brook babbling over stones, but I had to look up the word limpid and then I didn't really think it looked and sounded like its meaning. I still don't, but I like it. 

Do you collect words? What are some of your favourites?



Lorrie Orr writes from Vancouver Island where she enjoys boating and hiking with her husband. Gardening, sewing, reading, and spending time with her five grandchildren fill her days with happiness and contentment. She is newly retired from teaching high school Spanish. 


16 comments:

  1. Thank you, dear Lorrie, for introducing me to the lovely word: Apricity. Just yesterday I sat outside in a sheltered spot and enjoyed some apricity.
    Some of my favorite words are menagerie, kerfuffle, and elegant.
    Wonderful post!
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Wendy. Kerfuffle is a fun word - love the way it looks and sounds!

      Delete
  2. Lorrie, it seems we are fellow word gatherers! You will see why by tomorrow's IWO post. ;) Thank you for sharing some of yours and your reasons for liking them. Here are a few of mine:
    serendipitous - making happy discoveries by accident
    inglenook - a corner by a fireplace to gather for warmth and companionship
    dawn - not only does this word capture the gentle rising of the sun, it is also my daughter's name!
    grace - my all-time favorite, for reasons too many to name
    I was gifted a little book called "Other-Wordly" by Yee-Lum Mak, - words both strange and lovely from round the world". There are entrancing words in every language.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Valerie. I look forward to tomorrow's post. Inglenook - what a cozy word for a cozy place!

      Delete
  3. I love this post! And you've given me a new word for my collection: Apricity. Lovely.
    Some of my favorites: celerity (swiftness of movement), bemused, furtively, and duplicity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen. Celerity is a new word to me - reminds me of celery!

      Delete
  4. I love some of your ideas! (Like trying to write as many colour words... etc.) I did not know the word "Apricity", so I also learned something new and wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tracy. There's not been much apricity around here today!

      Delete
  5. Thanks for your inspiring post, Lorrie. I love a new word for me, apricity. However, I can't enjoy apricity today because its -23 and cloudy in Calgary, and we've had a huge dump on snow in the last couple of days. (Note: I just added it to my private dictionary.) I, too, love collecting quotes and the exquisite ways authors express themselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sandi. No apricity here today with below freezing temps and a fine snow blowing around. Words are fun!

      Delete
  6. Wow, Lorrie! Absolutely love this post. Do you think you could collate my scraps of my same stuff into Sharon’s Favourites? Lol. I’ll fill a few boxes and Fed Ex them to you. Loved the words in your post and hope you share more of your favourites at some point. This is one I’ll print out with your permission.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! You can send me your boxes if I can send you mine! Thank you for liking this enough to want to print it! Go ahead!

      Delete
  7. Such a great and fun post, Lorrie! Thank you for introducing the word, "apricity." I love this word. I enjoyed some apricity this morning. Yay, apricity! A few words I enjoy: indubitably = (in a manner or to a degree that could not be doubted); empathy (understanding and entering into another's feelings); ambiguous (having more than one possible meaning).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alan. I like indubitably for the way it rolls off the tongue! No apricity here today, though.

      Delete
  8. What fun to read your post, Lorrie. Exquisite is also a favourite of mine (I try not to overuse it). Apricity is new to me; already I love the word - the sound and its meaning: 'the warmth of the sun in winter'. I love words like beguiled and beribboned and festooned. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beguiled is a favourite of mine, too. So many lovely and useful words in the English language (and other languages). Thanks, Brenda!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.