February 08, 2023

B is for Breathe by Bob Jones


My word for 2023 is “breathe.”

 

Rather than make resolutions I allow a word to find me. Yah, I don’t choose the word, the word chooses me. Steph Nickel writes about that here.

 

Over the last decade, the word of the year had prophetic effects. They predicted what I would face and could rely on during the next 12 months. In late December, the word “breathe” was continuously on my mind. So, I listened to my soul and embraced the word.

 

Breathing

 

Breathing is a very powerful biblical image. In Genesis God creates humanity from the clay of the earth. Yet the human being is merely a lifeless work of clay pottery until God breathes into the nostrils of the human. It is that first breath that gives life. God’s Spirit is described as breath.

 

One incredible thing about breathing is that you don’t have to think about.

 

The best part is, even when we are not aware of it, that powerful Spirit fills our lives in ways we may never fully know or appreciate. One does not have to be a champion breather to have breath. Neither does one have to be a champion Christian to have God’s Spirit within. Isn’t that freeing?

 

When we are least able to take the time to think of God and God’s presence, just like breathing, God is still right there. If that is reality when we are not thinking about it, imagine the power when we take the time to be deliberate and really give God’s Holy Spirit some serious thought.

 

Breathe. Breathe deep. Fill your lungs with the breath that flows from the One who created you and called you good.

 

Stressed

 

Here’s how my word is helping me. Stress, worry, and fear are triggers that cause us to either speed up or hold our breath. I tend to hold my breath. This stress response happens automatically due to our innate fight, flight, or freeze response.

 

Numerous times in January 2023 I have responded to unexpected stress and setbacks with a simple reminder to breathe. 

 

Just breathe.

 

Thin Air

 

Jill was seven years old when we first met. I was her pastor. Ginger curls reflected the fiery nature within her little girl spirit. Adventure was her mojo. Mountains became molehills for her. Now a Grade 6 teacher, she realized a lifetime dream of climbing Mount Kilimanjaro in 2021.

 

As you climb the highest mountain in Africa the air gets thin. Incredibly thin. The higher you go the less you can talk because you have to focus on your breathing. It was one shallow breath after the other, one slow step after the other. She timed her breathing with her steps… a few steps at a time, then a stop to catch her breathing up. Concentrating only on the air drawing in and out of her lungs sustained her when the mountain’s terrain felt impossible.

 

She summited during a blizzard. Oxygen was harder to come by with each step. Ten minutes from the peak she fainted. With each labored inhale and exhale, she understood what it means to just breathe.

 

Trust

 

I love the Message version of Psalm 31:6,7 - “You, God, I trust. I’m leaping and singing in the circle of your love; you saw my pain, you disarmed my tormentors. You didn’t leave me in their clutches but gave me room to breathe.

 

Breathe. Breathing in response to life’s pained moments is a reminder to trust God. “I trust you God. Things don’t look or feel good. But I trust You.”

 

Breathe. God doesn’t leave us alone. God doesn’t leave us in the clutches of crisis. Life’s tormentors are disarmed.

 

Breathe. The best room in your life is room to breathe.

 

“Let everything that has breath praise the Lord. Praise the Lord!” Psalm 150:6      

 

Bob Jones writes to grow hope, inspire people to be real, forge an authentic faith in Jesus, and discover their life purpose. You can follow his writing at REVwords.com
 

16 comments:

  1. Thank you for this, Bob. I know I needed this beautiful reminder to breathe. I agree these following words are worth highlighting: "You...gave me room to breathe.” Psalm 31:7 from the Message.
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wendy. I hope you have "room to breathe."

      Delete
  2. Thank you for this reminder to breathe, Bob. Not only physically, but spiritually, the Lord holds our very breath in His hands. Your post reminded me that God’s name, YHWH, is comprised of aspirated consonants that, spoken, are the sound of breathing. What a wonderful thought --- with every breath in and out, we say the name of God!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. I did not know that, Valerie. Thank you for sharing that insight about YHWH and breath. Love it!

      Delete
  3. Thank you for this beautiful post and reminder that God is with us - even in our very breathing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "When you can't breathe, nothing else matters" used to be the catch phrase for the Canadian Lung Association. It's true in any aspect of life. This line from your post, I loved: "Fill your lungs with the breath that flows from the One who created you and called you good." He created me and called me good. I needed that reminder today. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joy. I didn't know that about the Canadian Lung Association. Timely reminders are always so good.

      Delete
  5. Great post, Bob. What a wonderful reminder that He is responsible for our every breath.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your thoughts to ponder about the gift of the ability to breathe. Your line, “I trust you God. Things don’t look or feel good. But I trust You,” is a meaningful one to me. As one who knows what it is like to live with asthma I cherish every breath I take. To breathe is to live. Blessings to you, brother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alan. The more we comment the better we get to know each other. I did not know you are living with asthma. Not an easy path. But breathing is never taken for granted in your world. God bless.

      Delete
  7. Anonymous8:37 am GMT-7

    I so needed this thank you so much for giving a message so needed at the right moment

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading and commenting. I'm pleased the words came at the right time!

      Delete
  8. Thanks for your sensitive post, Bob. As someone who has visited the highlands of Bolivia--at 14,000 feet, not as high as Kilimanjaro, I was reminded how important breathing in oxygen is to our life and spirits. "Fill your lungs with the breath that flows from the One who created you and called you good."

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, Bob. Your post reminds me of the song, "Breathe on me breath of God" - surrendering even our breathing to his loving care.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.