February 03, 2023

Building a Body of Work by Sandi Somers

 

Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly,

and whoever sows generously will also reap generously.

2 Corinthians 9:6 

 In my early years of writing, I wasn’t too prolific or consistent. I had written many drafts and sometimes bubbled with more ideas than I could handle. But publish them? Not so much. During Fall Conference last year, the Lord prompted me to finish more. It’s no wonder that over the last few years, He’s given me a challenge and promise: “Is there yet any seed left in the barn? Until now, the vine and the fig tree, the pomegranate and the olive tree have not borne fruit. From this day on I will bless you” (Haggai 2:19).

As I began more diligently to finish and publish, I thought of many principles of finishing that the Lord has been teaching me. If you are like me, here are some values that can make a huge difference in your approach to finishing well.

First, thank the Lord for His purpose for your writing. Then thank those who are inspiring you to spread your wings and publish more, those who have been models and mentors for you. I can think of a number in our IWO and InScribe who’ve done just that for me.

 Forgive yourself if you haven’t yet built up a body of work or if you’ve wasted years in finishing. You have untapped potential, ability, and skills. Begin now and believe God: “I will repay you for the years the locusts have eaten…” (Joel 2:25). As you claim this promise, His Spirit will empower you to publish what you thought you couldn’t do.

 Enlarge the vision of what you can do. You can be like Abraham who listened to God's directive: “Arise, walk through the length and the breadth of the land, for I will give it to you” (Genesis 13:17).  Launch out and write blog posts, op-eds, personal essays, long-form articles, devotionals, and newsletters. Venture into podcasts and speaking engagements…Your vision will grow as you follow through on God’s assignments.

 Be faithful in creation. Put in the hard work and stick with the projects God has called you to write. The Apostle Paul advised us: “Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters” (Colossians 3:23). At the right time, He’ll open the way for greater publishing and ministry.

 But above all, pray. Thank the Lord for your potential. Be as Jeanette Oke who said she saturates her writing with prayer. Wait before the Lord and He will anoint your message.

 Your work matters. God intended you to make a difference. The world is hungry for your stories. As you publish, you can trust that God will get your work into the hands of those who need to hear our Spirit-inspired writing.

 It’s vital that we finish well. One writer recently described her dream of entering heaven.  God asked her, “Where are all the books I wanted you to leave on Earth?  Why have you brought them with you?” This was a stark reminder to be faithful in the writing God has appointed me to do. I want to hear the Lord say, “Well done, good and faithful servant” (Matthew 25:21).

 God wants you to rise to your calling. Are you ready to take the next step?

“Your words are the most powerful tool you will ever own.

Don’t let another day slip away without using them to weave a better future for yourself and those you care about.”

~Matthew Kelly~

 


18 comments:

  1. Wow. Wow, Sandi. This post has pierced my heart beginning with the paragraph’Forgive yourself…..’ right to the end. Such encouragement with love. Humble thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sharon. I trust and pray that you will be encouraged to finish more of what God has placed in your heart.

      Delete
  2. Dear Sandi, thank you for these wise words that not only inspire and prompt us to complete projects, but they give us permission to take our calling seriously. Your mention of Colossians 3:23 especially propels us to sow more seeds.
    Amen to: "At the right time, He’ll open the way for greater publishing and ministry."
    Blessings. And thank you for this wonderful post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments, Wendy. Yes, it's true that sometimes we don't take our calling as seriously as God intends. May God bless you as you trust Him to open doors more for you.

      Delete
  3. Sandi, oh my, what a timely word. First, your title grabbed me. Over the years I have admired people who have somehow known early on that their life's work was, indeed, to 'build a body of work' that would be their legacy when they're gone. I have often been spurred by that phrase.

    And then there's that poignant quote from Stephen King. What a sad thought. Not to mention the story of the woman supposedly arriving in heaven with her unwritten books still in her keeping. Oh my! That's a disturbing picture.

    I was drawn to Lorrie Orr's recent post in which she urged readers to make audacious goals. I've made an ambitious list of projects to start and finish in 2023. And with His help, I'll aim to give it my best shot.

    Thank you so much for this powerful piece, Sandi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments, Brenda. My prayer for you is to complete your audacious goals this year!

      Delete
  4. Another Wow! This went straight to my heart. The paragraph beginning with "Forgive yourself" could have been written just for me. So many unfinished projects. I'll be coming back to read this when I need another gentle "kick in the pants." Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lorrie, God bless you as you work on your unfinished projects. I'll be praying for you

      Delete
  5. " Your work matters. God intended you to make a difference. " Thank you for this encouraging post. As always, you are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your always-encouraging words, Tracy.

      Delete
  6. The part about expanding our boundaries speaks to me. I feel stuck if I can't just write a whole book. Yet, I'm very interested in writing devotionals and feel more motivated after reading your blog to just try starting with one. My husband has also been encouraging me to write devotionals so some confirmation in the branching out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your honesty, Gloria. I'm reminded of a writer who said that when you sit down to write, you're not writing a book--you're writing the next paragraph, the next scene, or for you, the next devotional. As Anne Lamott's father said, "Bird by bird," or as most of us say, "step by step." I'm praying for you as you branch out. Go for it!

      Delete
  7. Hi Sandi! Your whole post spoke to me. The most significant line as I read through your message is, "Enlarge the vision of what you can do." The work I have been developing in the context of grandparent grief has been branching out into not only death grief experiences, but also the grief associated with grandparent alienation. .Your post is encouraging me to explore how I can be a voice for grandparents who grieve. I know this vision is not for every reader but I see the reason to pursue this vision the Lord has given me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure address the grief associated with grandparent alienation. It happens. Just think of the kids who are missing the love and wisdom of these grandparents, and the grandparents missing all the love the little ones pour into their lives--plus missing how all that they themselves can share family history, guidance, and spiritual values (if the grandparents are believers). I'll be praying for you as you enlarge the vision of what you can do.

      Delete
  8. Thank you for these challenging words Sandi. I have many first drafts and started first drafts. Over the past six or so months, I have been challenged and encouraged to finish them. Your words are one more voice encouraging me in this area. May God continue enlarging your vision as you write the words He has given you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, Lori. Isn't it true that when God prompts us, He speaks to us from a variety of voices--and sometimes all at once? My prayer for you is your prayer for me: "May God continue enlarging your vision as you write the words He has given you."

      Delete
  9. "Where are all the books I wanted you to leave on earth?" Oh my, that stopped me up short.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was heart-stopping when she told us. Something to remind us how important our ministry is.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.