September 21, 2022

Rituals Interrupted - Tracy Krauss

 Rituals and routines help us stay organized and productive. I don't mind admitting that I am a creature of habit, and although I like to think I am also flexible and able to pivot when necessary, there is comfort, and satisfaction - yes, even JOY - in maintaining my daily routines. 


It's why this past summer, although wonderful and exciting in many ways, has also been quite stressful. Last month in my post called "Distracted", I mentioned some of the things that have sent my routines spiraling: a sudden move to a house that is yet unfinished; surprise twins born to one of my daughters; more than one set of company; traveling for work...


Where there's a will there's a way. I still need coffee!

I made it back from my teacher's convention on September 2 to a house in chaos. Literally. Since we had to be out of our home by the end of August and our "new-to-us" home isn't fully renovated yet, we had to put all our belongings in the basement. We're still living in a construction zone, shuffling stuff from one room to the next as the flooring gets laid, with limited electrical outlets, no kitchen, and plumbing installed in only one bathroom. (Thank the Lord for small mercies!)

Did I mention no internet? Talk about my routines being interrupted! As an online support teacher, September is my busiest month of the year as I conduct parent meetings, set students up in courses, find resources, and write Student Learning Plans...  all of which is impossible without the internet! So, I've been using my phone as a hotspot and trying to find quiet places to "crouch" to do my work. One day I sat in the car because it was so noisy in the house!

But things are looking up. As I write this (more than a week early, I admit) I am comfortably writing at my daughter's kitchen table and using her internet. Oh... the reason for this is because she just had a baby. (Not the one who had twins. We have been blessed with three new granddaughters in the past six weeks!) I'm looking after the two-year-old... You can imagine how much work - and writing - I am getting done. (Not!)

Listing my preferred routines almost seems ridiculous after the summer I've had. They seem so far, far away - from a distant past that might never happen again. Of course, I'm being overly dramatic. Prior to June (when I got very sick with Covid, followed by my husband changing jobs, followed by us putting our house up for sale and it selling within three days...) my daily work and writing habits were well established. 

Prayer, Bible reading and devotions, journalling, emails, writing/editing, marketing tasks... everything had its place. Using online tools like Asana, even long-term goals were part of the mix. These days I am lucky if I get a daily shower! 

However, I know that this is just a temporary phase. Soon enough I will be able to get back to my routines. In the meantime, I have a little boy who needs my attention!


When life isn't spinning out of control, Tracy writes from her home in northern BC. Visit her website for all her books and plays: https://tracykrauss.com


16 comments:

  1. What a delightful set of pictures to go with your equally delightful words, dear Tracy. Writing routines can wait but little boys and baby girls grow up so fast. You won't regret a second invested in these lovely grandchildren. I know because my 10-12 hour days of helping with my grandson are a distant memory I'm so glad not to have missed. Your bond with these babies will be blessed for the time you gave them.
    I hope you'll post after-pictures of your kitchen too. Your coffee station is adorable despite it being in a construction zone. Hooray for simple things like a hot cup of java. God is good.
    Blessings ~ Wendy Mac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So ture, Wendy. I wrote this post a week before it went live and there have been many changes since including a STOVE, laundry facilities, and some kitchen plug ins. God is good!!!!

      Delete
    2. true not ture... you get it.

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful post of organized chaos! Congratulations on all your new grandkids. I have to chuckle apologetically about your internet woes. When I read about folks who have high speed internet I am envious. We have never had access and have used only our phones for years. When I am able to hook up to high speed internet I sit and say, ‘whoa!’ Was very impressed when we went through BC and almost the whole province was already 5G. Keep on trucking, Tracy! God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What sweet chaos, Tracy! Of course I can say that from the outside looking in. (: I admire your positive attitude and the fact you even got this blog written and posted in the midst of it all. Someday (soon, I hope!) you will look back and wonder how you got through it. Thanks for sharing your journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God is good. When I feel overwhelmed or cranky (unfortunately that happens a lot) I just have to stop and say a prayer of thanks. god is teaching me lessons through this, I have no doubt!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for your blog during this ever-so-disrupted season from writing. I also noted that you still take time to comment on everyone else's blog. What a blessing to all of us. You give us affirmation to accept and adapt to a different season without worrying or laying a guilt trip on ourselves.

    And beautiful photos of your grandchildren! Time with them is so vitally important!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't say much about my routines, but stopping by the Inscribe blog daily and then leaving a comment is one of them that is so well established that it is automatic, no matter how busy I am!

      Delete
  5. Congratulations on all the sweetness that has come to your family! Yes, little ones certainly take precedence over routines, and this season of family is one in which to revel. You have a lot going on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It takes resolve some days, though, to keep that in mind!

      Delete
  6. Anonymous2:18 pm GMT-7

    Congratulations to the whole family ,in your many blessed events
    Nedischa millie and jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jack and Millie! So nice to hear from you!! Many blessings my friends. I think and pray for you often!

      Delete
  7. My goodness, Tracy! That is A LOT. Congrats on all the new family members. I truly admire your ability to pivot. This is the stuff memories (and memoirs!) are made of.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi my busy friend. Come and use my internet! I would love to aid a fellow artist. You have just inspired me to create a blog! I have barely been home all year, but I crave coffee, art, and companionship. You have supported me, and I would love to return the favor.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tracy, I enjoyed your post. My goodness, I'd consider all that's been happening in your world, over the top! And you're still smiling - surely His goodness and mercies have followed you this summer. Surely His grace has been sufficient. You've shown us a way through the chaos. What darling sweet babies! Rich blessings wished for you and all your family for the days ahead. xo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.