September 22, 2022

Why Have Daily Rituals? by Lorrie Orr

 




For the past ten days, the world has been captivated by the news of the death of Queen Elizabeth II, and by the ceremonies attached to her death. The processions, the lying-in-state, and the funeral itself were replete with pomp and circumstance on a scale never before witnessed by so many. I know that I spent a good deal of time watching Youtube, enthralled by the magnificence, and curiously bereft at the loss of someone I had never met, but who had always been in the background of the fabric of my life.

Throughout these days I've been thinking about the role of ceremony and ritual in life, be it large or small. In my reading and thinking, I came across these words:

"rituals and ceremonies are extremely important as they invite us into the present and provide fertile ground to better deal with the challenges at hand." *

Bingo! This very blog post topic, and a related question popped into my mind. Which rituals invite me into the moment of sitting down to write, and enable me to deal with the task of writing?

The answer to this question is different for everyone, as we've read throughout the month's postings. I think of myself as a most undisciplined writer, but then I realized that when I establish routines and rituals, I am focused and productive. The problem is that life often intervenes and I am pulled from my routine - by vacations, family affairs, illness, and a number of other events. Getting going again is a challenge for me. Here are some things I'm learning about my rituals for productive writing.

A place. I've tried writing in various places, and what works best for me is beside a window where I can look out on the world, preferably my garden. Just now I stopped to think, resting my face in my hands, elbows propped on the desk, while my gaze registered the colourful dahlias waving in the breeze. A dedicated desk means, too, that I can leave a current project out, which is more tempting to return to. 

A deadline, self-imposed or other-imposed. My project just now is a memoir of our family's time in Ecuador. I started it last fall and made good progress, but when I was asked to teach again in January, the writing stopped. However, I am now setting myself a goal of finishing the rough draft by December 1. Having that deadline pushes me to write. For daily deadlines, I often set myself a word count.

A walk. When I have a thorny problem to work out, a walk outside most often helps me discover a solution. I once read that we return home smarter than when we left when we go for a walk. Moving my body helps my brain.

Little delights. A cup of tea. Pretty notebooks. An interesting container for my pens and pencils. A comfortable cushion behind my back. A piece of dark chocolate. A cozy shawl around my shoulders on a cold morning. These small ceremonies contribute to a sense of well-being.

Grace. When I recognize that there will be days when I don't feel like writing and skip it, or when life's demands intervene, I must extend grace to myself. God knows my heart, and he knows my limitations. He, the ultimate grace-giver, whispers words of encouragement. There will be another morning to write.

*quote from: Why ceremonies and rituals are still important today — The Conscious Club

Lorrie Orr writes from Vancouver Island where she enjoys boating and hiking with her husband. Gardening, sewing, reading, and spending time with her five grandchildren fill her days with happiness and contentment. She is newly retired from teaching high school Spanish. 



12 comments:

  1. Dear Lorrie, what a lovely, lovely post. It's a generous piece of chocolate: rich, delicious, and invigorating. Thank you. After I share it on the Facebook page and group, I'm coming back to savor it again.
    Blessings ~ Wendy Mac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Wendy. Although I dithered over the topic for a long time, seeing the processions and ceremony triggered a whole new line of thought that came together in a flash!

      Delete
  2. Lorrie, the quote "great minds think alike" came to mind as I read your post. You will see why if you read my post tomorrow. Thank you for sharing your writing rituals. There is always something to learn from how others create their work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loved reading your post today, Valerie. I also love learning from other writers.

      Delete
  3. I love these thoughts, Lorrie. All of them resonated with me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lorrie, this post holds so much to which I can relate and to which I can aspire. Thanks very much for these wonderful suggestions that had me saying, “I should try that!” Thanks, again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your post was a joy to read, Lorrie. We are kindred writers on several levels. I was captivated by this line you wrote: "resting my face in my hands, elbows propped on the desk, while my gaze registered the colourful dahlias waving in the breeze." Oh yes, I do that a lot. Definitely part of the writing ritual for me.

    Made me think of these lines attributed to Canadian author Alice Munro: "I can't play bridge. I don't play tennis. All those things that people learn, and I admire, there hasn't seemed time for. But what there is time for is looking out the window."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you, Brenda! Love the quote by Alice Munro.

      Delete
  6. Thanks, Lorrie, for your insights and wisdom regarding our writing rituals. I didn't comment the first time around, but I'm taking a careful second viewing. You prompted me to give myself "Little delights". "[E]xtending grace" is so important, too, when I fall off my regular routines. Bless you for writing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sandi, for your kind comment. I'm glad God's grace is infinite, and I use that as an example when I need to extend it to others, or to myself.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.