September 15, 2022

Creative Ritual by Carol Harrison


My first thought on reading this month's prompt was, "Daily creative ritual, you mean I should have one?"

I've read and heard about carving out a dedicated time to write many times. Mark it on your schedule. Treat your writing like a business. Make appointments for writing, editing, other creativity and treat them as important. Yet I never seem to actually try doing something like that. 

However, there are things that work better for me than others do. 

Writing in the morning feels like the most productive time of day for me to write. However, I realize I need to be ready to jot down ideas whenever they show up so I don't lose them. 

Other creative endeavors, such as scrapbooking, card making, or making junk journals I leave until later afternoon or more often in the early evening. Weekends provide more time to play with paper. These creative endeavors allow a space to journal family stories as well as allow the imagination to take flight. 

Reading for pleasure occupies moments of time or provides a longer escape when I'm tired or lack focus to continue on writing projects, editing, or even continuing with other creative play. 

Do these loosely held time frames constitute daily creative rituals? Not really but they seem to be the way that works best for me. There are a few things I continue to do but they don't fit into what I consider the creative ritual heading. Yet I find them necessary in my writing process. 

The wall in front of my desk space and my desk itself may seem cluttered to some, but to me it provides inspiration. The pictures are done by family and friends and are a reminder of the creativity of others I know. The bits and pieces adorning my work space include things that I like, are gifts, or reminders to believe and pray. 

I like notebooks and journals and the store aisles containing them are dangerous to wander along if I don't want to add to my stash. Yet I like jotting ideas into notebooks. It is a step up from when I would simply grab any piece of paper and write them down, often losing the paper in the clutter on the desk. Yet my notebooks, although they corral the ideas, don't have a system for easy retrieval. Sometimes what I write becomes a reference for a book or story. Other times I simply journal events, thoughts, and feelings as a way to process everyday life. But even journaling is not a daily event. 

Taking the time for other creative endeavors such as playing with paper and especially


making junk journals helps break mental writing blocks and overcome frustration. Of course reading also helps give me a break from obligations, deadlines, or those frustrating parts of life. I've never needed much of a reason to curl up with a good book and get lost in the story someone else has worked hard to bring to life. 

Continuing to learn is another key element of my writing process. I have so much still to learn and others who are further along in their journey share important facts and ideas through posts or books they've written on the craft of writing. Attending workshops, conference, being part of a writing group, and sharing ideas with others helps spur the creativity and improve my writing. 

I can't say I have a daily creative ritual but I have found ways that make the creativity and writing journey work better for me - at least most of the time. It may change over time as I learn and grow but I doubt it will be time I schedule on my calendar. I just know that I need to be obedient in stewarding well the gifts and abilities God has given me no matter how that looks on any given day. 

 

Carol Harrison lives and writes from her home in Saskatoon, SK. Writing and playing with paper go hand in hand as she allows creativity to bloom in her life.

7 comments:

  1. Thank you, dear Carol, for sharing what works for you. This is good encouragement for all of us.

    I can relate to saving mornings for writing and allowing paper play later in the day. If I dare go near junk journaling first thing in the morning, I won't get any work done. But it's such a fun reward to enjoy it after some to-do items are ticked off the list.

    Blessings ~ Wendy Mac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes playing with paper and making junk journals can be all consuming once you start. I'd love to see some of the junk journals you make.

      Delete
  2. It’s an inspiring to me that you have recognized what works for you and is effective. Need to have a little self examination. Thanks so much for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carol, after reading your delightful post this morning, I would respond to your question, 'Do these loosely held time frames constitute daily creative rituals' with a definite yes! You've shared what I consider to be routines and creative rituals - inspirational tools and habits that, even if some weren't deliberate or conscious choices in the beginning, now help you to do your best creative work.

    I enjoyed getting a glimpse of your junk journal - love the cover. I've never tried that paper craft, but it looks fun. Thanks for sharing!


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I smiled when you said it is dangerous to walk down an aisle with journals and notebooks... Me too! I often joke that Staple is my favourite store! You sound busy and certainly have lots of creative energy.

      Delete
  4. Thanks, Carol, for your insights on how you've "found ways that make the creativity and writing journey work better for me - at least most of the time." While many of us work best on a schedule, sometimes we need to be more flexible. You've shown us the way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Carol, for your post on how you structure your day. Mornings are the most productive for me, too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.