January 22, 2022

A Time for Compassion by Alan Anderson

 


Sometimes I use my writing energy as more of a ramble than anything else. This post seems to be one of these times. A comment from someone in 2021 startled me and caused me to step back to ask myself a question. My question is, “Whatever became of compassion?


 

 

Compassion, Missing in Action

 

This past year reminded me to not let my compassion die. A few months ago, I commented on a Facebook discussion where people were chatting about other people they didn’t agree with. My comment focused on the need to extend compassion to people one might not agree with. A reply to my comment dismissed the need for compassion. I was informed. “There are people who don’t deserve compassion.” The comment caused my heart to weep.

 

 

“There are people who don’t deserve compassion.” Really? I admit I have thought this way. Not too long ago, I allowed my human frailty to dictate to me. I cried out to God in prayer my anger, my dislike, for a particular political leader. My wife reminded me of the need for compassion and I listened to her. My compassion seemed missing in action. I now pray for this politician in a more sensitive manner.

 


I pray for myself as well for God to have compassion and mercy on me. I don’t mean to be selfish. “Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.”

 


 

Compassion is how Jesus lived.

 

“When he saw the crowds, he had compassion on them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd.”—Matthew 9: 36 (NIV)

                                                          

       “Jesus wept.”—John 11:35

 

Then the Jews said, “See how he loved him!”

—John 11:36

 

“As he approached Jerusalem and saw the city, he wept over it”—Luke 19:41

 

“He was despised and rejected by men, a man of sorrows, and familiar with suffering. Like one from whom men hide their faces he was despised, and we esteemed him not.” –Isaiah 53: 3

     

 

A Collective Compassion

 

When I think of compassion, other words settle in beside me. Words like tenderness, empathy, pity, kindness, love, and mercy come alongside me and remind me compassion is more than a word. I love the word compassion. I love compassion in action even more. Compassion is love in action and lives in us, as Jesus does.

 

 

As Christians, we must hang on to our compassion despite the divisions people create among themselves. Jesus lived as One full of compassion. He wept and experienced sorrow. People noticed His compassionate love for others.

 

 

The day in which we live is a day for a life of collective action on part of God’s people. When we consider the emotional upheaval over these past two years, compassion is needed even more. We can do this. Compassion is our nature.

 

 

Personally, there is a lot for me to learn about compassion. How about you, dear friends? What might you teach me about compassion? I look forward to learning from you.

 

 


 

Alan lives in Deroche, B.C. with his wife, Terry. He contributed stories to Good Grief People by Angel Hope Publishing, 2017; Story by Story: The Power of a Writer, Unstoppable Writers Publishing, 2018. Alan has written articles for FellowScript Magazine. Blog: https://scarredjoy.ca. He has written posts for our InScribe blog since 2015.

 


15 comments:

  1. Alan, I so agree with you that we need compassion now more than ever. In a time when people are at the end of themselves and reacting in ways that are even beyond themselves, compassion says, "I see you. Life is hard. God is good."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joy! I like your phrase and find it an encouragement to bless people. Thank you, my friend!

      Delete
  2. I love this post, Alan. Since Christians have the Holy Spirit dwelling inside them, we have the power of Christ available to us. The following words of yours can be true of us when we submit to God's Word: "Jesus lived as One full of compassion."
    When you asked what we might teach you about compassion, I immediately thought of what my grandson recently taught me about it. I shared it on my personal blog this week. It's a topic I'm posting about for the next while. It's needed more than ever.
    Blessings ~ Wendy Mac

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Wendy, thank you for carrying on messages of compassion. I'm going to check out your blog for sure. We can spread compassion together. Blessings to you my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear your compassionate heart in this post, Alan, one grown and developed by looking to Christ for His example of compassion. You are right, it is becoming a lost trait among so many who strive to make their opinions known at the expense of others. One thing I am trying to practice is to put myself in the shoes of another, especially those I do not like or get along with, to imagine what they might be experiencing or suffering. This helps stir up my compassion for them and remember to pray for them. Thanks for the thought-provoking words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your thoughts here, Valerie. I like the practice you are trying. I am going to be more conscious of this as the year continues. Blessings to you, Valerie.

      Delete
  5. Alan, I have enjoyed the 'ramble' of your thoughtful and caring post today. Rambling or otherwise, the message of your heart is always so clear - from all your writings we know compassion fills your heart and marks your life.

    That line about Jesus, how he saw the crowds and had compassion on them. I feel His heartbeat in those words. That's how I want my heart to beat, too.

    Many years ago, I used to worry how I could ever fill the need I saw around me. Then I came across something Mother Teresa once said, and I took my courage and example from her. "Never worry about numbers. Help one person at a time and always start with the person nearest you."

    Wishing you manifold blessings and opportunities to outpour His great compassion ...one day at a time, sweet Jesus. One person at a time. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brenda! I am thankful for your thoughtful comments. Thank you for the wise quote by Mother Teresa. Like you, I also want my heart to beat like Jesus. I think also of a line from an old song, "He looked beyond my fault and saw my need." Blessings to you and your family, Brenda.

      Delete
  6. Rambling is good for us sometimes Alan! I agree that compassion is so important and you are a wonderful example of that in action.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the encouragement, Tracy. Together we can all spread compassion as we live out our faith. Blessings to you and your family, my dear friend.

      Delete
  7. We really must pray for our leaders, as Paul told us, so we can lead quiet lives. One thing I do is pray those people is that God will give them godly sorrow. So many folks spew their frustration and hatred online but we can be ones who point the way. We do need to call out wickedness but we also need to do it in a way that condemns only the deed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good points Bruce. Thank you, my friend.

      Delete
  8. Thanks for sharing your heart on compassion, Alan. It's so needed today, more than ever. I particularly related to your thoughts: "Compassion is love in action and lives in us, as Jesus does." I think you can teach us more about compassion than we can teach you!

    Your thoughts are a good lead-in for a part of my February post on loving others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandi! Bless you for who you are. Thank you for your encouragement. I look forward to your February message, my friend.

      Delete
  9. Hello Alan. I love the worship song that begins with the line “Everyone needs compassion.” Everyone. I remember reading somewhere, and I am sorry I don’t have the reference, that even when Jesus rebuked the Pharisees, he loved them. That holds true to his Word. Thanks for a wonderful post. May we allow the Lord to change all of our hearts to be full of His compassion which so exceeds our own. Have a blessed week.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.