July 07, 2019

A Marriage Story About the Power of Words and Choosing to Believe the Best

 By Kimberly Dawn Rempel (an excerpt from What's the Truth About Who I Am?)


I think marriages come pre-packaged with at least one zombie – that one pesky disagreement or sore spot that keeps reappearing no matter how many times you’ve talked that thing to death. 


You know what I’m talking about. 

For us, one such issue was my feeling unloved and needing reassurance on that old familiar question too many men think too many women ask: “Why do you love me?” “What is it about me that you love?” You know, that one.

The problem wasn’t my husband’s lack of articulation or a lack of love. He does love me. The problem was largely that, because of where I’d come from, I was wholly uncertain of my footing in any relationship, and needed to constantly feel for the foundation, confirming it was in fact still there, and that I was, in fact, not about to fall off of it.

So, wanting not to continue torturing him with this difficult question, yet knowing I needed that constant check-in, I asked him to write me a letter.

“Just write down a list of things you love about me,” I suggested one day, “I need to know. And then, when I feel like I need to ask again, I can just go back to the letter.” It would help us both.

He agreed to write the letter. It was painful for him to do, but he did it. He etched out a numbered list (I think coinciding with my age), which I then logged as evidence and claimed as truth.

In the years afterward, whenever I’d feel insecurity creeping up the back of my neck again, and the fear of rejection would rake its icy claws across my heart, I would not go to him for reassurance. I would first sit alone with the letter, read it, and remember that his love is real. I would consciously decide to believe it and it would help me rediscover the foundation was, in fact, still there and not crumbling. This allowed me to choose once again to believe it.

Then, reassured, I could sit beside him on the couch, watch a show together, and instead of secretly wondering if he still loved me, could focus and enjoy the show because it was safe to do so. I was loved and I believed it, which gave me the freedom to just be.

That was also years ago, and I still have that letter. It’s a precious possession to us both.

>> I feel a side note is appropriate here: I’m not advocating denial or saying the power of positive thinking is what helps a person feel better in an unhealthy relationship. I hope the reader understands I don’t mean this rehearsing of positive words is a helpful tool in a damaged, unhealthy relationship. This is a tool I use in tandem with a relationship of health. I match past evidence (the letter) with current evidence (ongoing acts and words of love that are the natural outgrowth of the truths in the letter, thereby authenticating the written words) and together, they show me the truth. One without the other is living in a state of denial or wishing, neither of which I’m talking about here.

 
The Power to Choose

On the days I sat on my bed, empty and aching with life's lonelilness, choosing to believe the life-giving words on a page instead of the self-loathing words piling up in my mind, I learned something critical: I get to choose.

I get to choose which words I believe and identify with.

And so do you.

We each have filthy lies whispering in our minds, echoing from the past, all of them pretending they’re truth, and all of them trying to erode our souls.

But we all have access to truth, too, and the evidence that points to it.

Sometimes it’s just the tiniest shaft of light in the darkness, but it’s there. One moment in life where someone was kind or when God’s voice could be heard through all the chaos. One single thing we can be grateful to God for providing. Even in the darkest moments, there is ALWAYS at least one. 



The Love Letter Jesus Left You

In these practices of holding words in my hands and consciously choosing to believe and become them, I learned a great deal about connecting with God in real, current relationship.

I used to see only the words of condemnation and death as my promises. I reserved only the bad words for myself. After all, they seemed to agree with what I’d been told up to that point.

With this new stream of life words shining in however, the clouds were beginning to break; I started reading the Bible with eyes that were willing to see the truth, and with a heart that was willing to accept its words of life for me. Even me.

I began to sit with those words of life, as strange and not-for-me as they seemed, and made a life-altering decision; I chose to believe them.

As I read of David, a “man after God’s own heart”, a man who God said pleased Him, I saw someone like me; someone who had immense emotions and dared to share them with God – the manic highs and the epic despair. That was allowed? God could handle that? Hmm!  

In David I saw a man who failed and sinned and made terrible choices. Who let temptation get the best of him. Yet this was one who God loved and accepted and gave favor? Perhaps there was hope for me after all!

It was in David I saw a closeness with God – this brotherly, best-friend affection they had for each other – and for the first time I believed not just that it was a possible thing to experience, but that I, Kim Rempel, of nowhere Manitoba, could experience it too. Me. For real. Every day.

So I sat with those words, holding them in my hands, and absorbed them as hungrily as I had the words in my husband’s letter. I devoured them. Let them become part of me. Soon, they began changing me. Where I previously felt God’s overbearing disdain, I realized his smiling delight. Where I used to feel pressure to get it perfect lest a lightening bolt find me, I now felt the tender grace of a parent helping a toddler to walk. Daddy doesn’t kick the baby. He smiles and says, “Oops, try again.”

But without having read His words and choosing to believe them, I would have missed that piece. I would have continued letting my own fears and misunderstandings define me (and God) and would have missed out on the richness of relationship.

Jesus left us a love-letter; a detailed story of what He loves about us, why He made us, and what wonderful purpose we have because of that. If we sit with it, willing to see in it the truth of who he is and who he says we are, those truths can change us. Those truths can identify us and give us a new, true name.

What are the words rolling around in your mind, trying to define you?
More importantly, how true are they?




Also, if you're looking for a short, easy read (for the lake? road trip?) This. You'll probably like this. 

It's a story of someone else caught between two names, two identities, clawing for freedom from the dungeon we each find ourselves in from time to time... 

​Plus it's thrilling and might take your breath away just a teensy bit ;) 
Only $4.99 on Amazon (or $10 for the paperback) 
Amazon Reviewers > "Gripping"  "Spellbound" 
"I highly recommend"



4 comments:

  1. Thanks for your honesty and encouragement, Kim.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kim! I like the story about your hubby's love letter to you. At times we just need confirmation we are loved. I especially like your mention of God being with us even in chaos. I love the honesty of your words. They speak to my heart and find a spot to settle there. This sentence put a big smile on my face, "Where I previously felt God’s overbearing disdain, I realized his smiling delight." Ah, so wonderful to picture in my heart. God smiles at us, beautiful. Thank you my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m smiling, Kimberly, because I know a gal like that. Sharon is her name. Sometimes she would wonder if her new hubby still loved her. Her husband wasn’t great on the I-love-you-in-words. Maybe he was a writer, because he liked to show rather than tell. One night when going to bed, he gave Sharon a cartoon he’d come across. A middle-aged man had put up a portable screen and on it were the words in big letters, “Sharon, I told you once that I loved you, and if anything changes, I’ll let you know.”

    I don’t know where he found the cartoon with my name on it and everything, but we had a good laugh over that one. I committed the line to memory, which is good, because it made me smile and it reminded me that nothing had changed, except that he may loves me even more and he still shows it, rather than telling it. And I’m the writer who does so many things with words.

    Thanks for your beautifully written and meaningful blog, Kimberly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. God's personal love letter to me is the house I now own. Instead of a drill sergeant blasting me for wanting something, he showed himself as the loving Father caring for his child. Paraphrasing Crowbar's 1970 hit, "Oh what a father, What a God!"

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.