November 16, 2018

An Obstacle Opens a Door to Opportunity by Nina Faye Morey




The Lord replied,
“My precious child, I love you and will never leave you
During your times of trials and suffering
When you saw only one set of footprints
It was then that I carried you.”

~ “Footprints in the Sand” (Anonymous)



In December 2010, in what felt like some cruel twist of fate, I was diagnosed with advanced breast cancer. I felt as though I’d suddenly stepped from the firm, well-travelled path I’d been walking onto the shifting sands of a deserted beach. Uncertain about where this difficult and lonely path might lead, fear clutched me in its icy grip, evaporating my hope and eroding my faith. Burdened by those devastating twin afflictions of helplessness and hopelessness, I experienced times of despair when I felt as though God had abandoned me.

But that raucous rollercoaster ride of emotions that swiftly follows on the heels of a numbing shock eventually came to a halt. As I travelled this difficult and troublesome path, I once again felt that my fervent prayers for help and guidance were being heard. As God removed the obstacle of fear that had threatened to sever our relationship, I sensed He was once more walking alongside me. He became my source of strength and security, offering me the hope and peace I needed to carry me through this trying time of trial and testing. He renewed my spirit and refreshed my soul, allowing me to contemplate my future without fear, worry, or sorrow.

Jesus teaches us never to worry about what tomorrow will bring because worrying about the future does nothing to lengthen our life (Matthew 6:27). His lesson has been confirmed by modern medical research, which concludes that the stress caused by worry does indeed shorten our lifespan. When I was able to once again place my health and my future in God’s hands, my sense of wellbeing was restored. By laying my worries and fears at His feet (1 Peter 5:7), I became a wellness warrior rather than a resigned worrier. During my year-long course of treatment, I became a regular at the Saskatoon Cancer Centre Library, checking out reliable books, taking notes, and following any sensible sounding advice.

But my primary sources of solace during this difficult and uncertain time were prayer and the Holy Scriptures. I wrote out several comforting verses and posted them by my computer for daily contemplation: Matthew 8:16-17; Job 5:18; Jeremiah 29:11; Daniel 10:18-19; Philippians 4:13; John 14:27; and many others. I searched God’s Word for verses on the power of prayer and God’s promises for healing (James 5:14-16; Psalm 46:1; Psalm 107:20; Jeremiah 30:17). They gave me the willpower, strength, and courage I needed to fight this deadly disease and maintain a confident and positive spirit. A positive perspective is a vital key to health and healing (Proverbs 17:22).

Casting my cares upon God, I became determined to fill my life with positive thoughts, people, and activities. Instead of dwelling on my disease, I decided to focus on the things I enjoyed in life, including writing. I hadn’t pursued my writing seriously until I’d stopped working in my early fifties. At that time, I was successful in getting some of my writing published in various newspapers and magazines. But after a few years, I returned to work and once again had little time to pursue my writing dreams. When I was diagnosed with cancer, I knew I needed to quit working in order to deal with my surgery and treatments and concentrate on getting well. Once my treatments ended and I’d regained my strength, I was determined to devote my time and attention to my writing once more. While it seems strange to call such a burden a blessing, my cancer became a catalyst for change. So what initially felt like an insurmountable obstacle had actually opened a door to opportunity!




Photo: Pixabay

6 comments:

  1. I experienced a similar thing when i had a heart attack and went through open heart surgery. It refocused on life and I honestly wouldn't change the things i learned for anything. this is such an encouraging post, Nina, and . ery honest. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many of those unexpected things in life do become the 'catalyst for change.' I'm sure that God in His infinite wisdom knows that while we are in the midst of struggling we need something or someone to help ease the burden, especially when we feel that He has abandoned us. It sounds like you were able to find both the something and the someone. Thanks for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way you say, "By laying my worries and fears at His feet (1 Peter 5:7), I became a wellness warrior rather than a resigned worrier," and the way you tie that in with, "Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you." I will need to check your other Bible references, Nina. Thanks for telling us your story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, thank you for sharing your story, Nina. I too need to check out your other Bible references.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Nina! This line speaks to me, "While it seems strange to call such a burden a blessing, my cancer became a catalyst for change." My wife was informed by her doc in Oct. 2017 she had uterine cancer. She had surgery on Jan. 8 of this year. She had a great attitude all along. It was me who saw her cancer as an obstacle. It was a challenging time. I thank you for your positive response to cancer Nina once you were able to process what this meant to your life. I thank God you and my wife embraced faith during your cancer experiences. She has been clear of cancer for almost a year. I thank God for His tender mercies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so encouraging to hear how what was at first an obstacle became a catalyst. It was goood to hear more of your story, Nina.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.