October 28, 2018

Behind Jericho - by Bruce Atchison

Deliverance from Jericho is my memoir of how I ended up in a residential school for deaf and blind children. For six lonely years, my parents sent me five-hundred miles from my home in Fort Saskatchewan, Alberta for months at a stretch.

Because I lived so far away from Vancouver, British Columbia, I was only allowed to return home during Christmas and summer. Additionally, my parents paid for the train tickets so I could visit for two Easters and the government paid for one Easter plane trip home.

These experiences scarred me deeply. For decades, even the mention of Jericho Hill School made me depressed.  I also suffered from bad dreams about being back there.

But thanks to a radio show called Hope in the Night, I learned how to deal with the traumas of my past. The host, June Hunt, told me that I could hand over the pain and those bad memories to Christ and he would heal my soul. Furthermore, she said I would have to keep on doing this as those bad thoughts would surface over and over for a while.

Thanks to this technique, I felt ready to write about my experiences a few years later. Doing so gave me the ability to release any claim I had on being a victim of that injustice. It also helped me explain to others what I went through.

Better still, our Lord experienced far worse injustices so he can identify with us. Hebrews 12:2 (KJV) says we should be, "Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God."

We know too that a day will come when our sorrows will be no more. Revelation 21:4 (KJV) assures us of this. "And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away."

I should add that June Hunt's method is based on the scriptures. We read in 1 Peter 5:7 (KJV) that we should be "Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you."

How wonderful it is that our Lord and Master understands our grief. He truly cares for us in so many diverse ways. This is something the world will never experience apart from him.

4 comments:

  1. Your story is one that can touch many, Bruce. I was thinking that perhaps you could empathize with people who were sent to residential school... a huge area of ministry that is very much needed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can only imagine how traumatic it would be for a young child to be sent a good distance from his family with infrequent visits home. In your case it was for special schooling and your parents were, no doubt, believed this would give you the best chance for an education. Being a mom myself, I can imagine this was a tough decision for your family too and a tough situation to carry out.

    I am happy to hear that you, providentially, found help for your trauma and gained hope by listening to a good, Bible-based radio program. As Tracy mentions, writing about your childhood trauma could be a source of comfort and hope to others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bruce! I can feel the pain and the faith in your message. I call my blog "Scarred Joy" as a reflection of experiences like the one you lived through. You have the scars of your residential school days as well as the joy you received from the radio show. Thank you for sharing this part of your life with us.

      Delete
  3. I am so thankful, Bruce, that the Lord has enabled you to cast your cares on Him, and in your words, "to release any claim I had of being a victim of that injustice".To see you move forward in strength, forgiveness, and purpose is truly from God. It reminded me immediately of victims of residential schools. Your life is a testimony that could help set them free too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.