October 17, 2018

The Story Behind the Story by Lynn Dove


The Story Behind “Even Though I Walk Through the Valley”

In 2011, I won a Word Guild Canadian Christian Writing Award for an article I wrote in 2010, entitled, “Even Though I Walk Through the Valley”.  My daughter had suffered a traumatic miscarriage and our entire family was trying to negotiate the deep, deep valley of grieving the loss of what would have been our first grandchild.  For my daughter, it was an intense time of sorrow as she and her husband sought comfort from the Lord, but also asked those “Why?” questions of God.  For me, seeing my child suffer so in her grief, led me to express my heartache in writing for her in particular, but also writing and posting an article on my Journey Thoughts blog for all those navigating mountaintop as well as valley experiences in their lifetimes.

One of my favourite places is the Comox Valley on Vancouver Island.  My husband grew up there, and we continue to visit the area on a regular basis.  It seemed a fitting setting to describe the beauty of both the mountaintop of Mount Washington and the Comox Valley.  I was so well-acquainted with the area it was easy for me to contrast the actual setting of Comox, and to use it as a wonderful analogy for the “mountaintop” and “valley” experiences of life. 

I did a fair bit of research on the article as I read commentaries and online articles that exegeted the 23rd Psalm so I could get a better understanding of the wording and meaning of that beautiful Psalm.  I was especially captivated by the relationship between a shepherd and his sheep as he leads his flock to greener pastures in search of nourishment.  Sheep follow the shepherd as he guides them up and over rocky terrain.  Like sheep, we follow the Good Shepherd, Jesus.  He knows us and we know Him.  “I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me—“  (John 10:14)

I camped out for weeks in the Psalms and read and reread Psalm 23.  One line in particular drew most of my attention: “Even though I walk through the darkest valley…” (Psalm 23:4)  One word, “through” jumped off the page at me and I took note of it in my notes, and then when I wrote the article I highlighted it in the last paragraph of my article:

“My family and I are walking through one of those “valleys” right now.  Notice I say we’re “walking through“, we’re not rushing through it, nor are we going to camp here indefinitely.  We’re walking through, taking our time, being comforted by the Good Shepherd, and we’ll move on when He says move on.  Until such time, we will take nourishment from Him here in the valley, and though our eyes may stray to the mountain from time to time, we will find rest and comfort here for now.  “The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not be in want.”

It is humbling that this article still gets read and commented on eight years after it was originally published.  Its message is timeless, I suppose.  My sweet daughter, walked through that particular valley of miscarriage only to carry to term our first grandson in February, 2011.   Two years later our granddaughter was born.  When our daughter-in-law suffered two miscarriages before giving birth to a boy in December 2017, and then our fourth grandbaby in May 2018, we walked through those dark valleys with her before we experienced the mountaintop joy of welcoming those boys into our family. 


Lynn Dove is the award-winning author, of the YA “Wounded Trilogy”- a contemporary Christian fiction series with coming-of-age themes.  A wife, mom, grandmother, and free-lance writer with articles published in several magazines and anthologies including Chicken Soup for the Soul books, her blog, “Journey Thoughts” is a Canadian Christian Writing Award winner.  Readers may connect with her on Facebook, Twitter, and at lynndove.com 


7 comments:

  1. Wow! Psalm 23 is an amazing chapter! It's one that both Christian and non-Christian cling to in their time of need even if they don't fully grasp the true meaning of it. I never tire of listening to a sermon around it either so I look forward to reading your article. God is faithful even when we don't feel that He is. So glad to hear that the ashes of those days were turned into beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Vickie! Appreciate the comments!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A poignant story Lynn. One that still helps so many. I'm glad you found the courage to share with others and in this way you actually gave a legacy on earth to your grandchildren in heaven. Psalms 23. Where would we be without that amazing chapter of the Bible?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is powerful. One line especially stood out to me - the thought that you were WALKING through - not rushing through. This is profound. Even when we 'accept' hard times as growing experiences, we usually want them to end quickly. but actually walking through them in the Lord's timing is yet another level of how we must trust Him...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing this moving "story behind the story," Lynn. Like so many others, I have also turned to Psalm 23 for comfort during times of grief and sorrow. After being diagnosed with breast cancer in 2011, I was walking through one of those dark valleys. Reading and rereading this reassuring Psalm helped me climb out of that dark valley and make my way back up to the mountaintop.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Lynn. Your story here gripped me from the beginning. I relate to the grief and pain you mention. I am a grandfather to six grandchildren plus five in heaven. These precious five were a result of pregnancy loss. The grief impacts our lives in deep ways. Perhaps this isn't something we typically hear from men. I still think of these five children and wonder what our lives would be like with them. Thank you so much Lynn. You have given me some comfort with what you have written. I thank you my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. After reading your beautiful story, Lynn, I will walk through the valleys instead of rushing to get through them. I will take nourishment while I'm there and I will appreciate the guidance and comfort the Shepherd patiently offers me. I won't go off by myself and wallow in solitude; rather, I will stay with the rest of the flock and find comfort in the company of friends that the Good Shepherd has given me.

    Thank you for this lovely story. I will read The Shepherd's Psalm differently after this.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.