October 19, 2018

A Little bit of me by Eunice Matchett


Storytelling has always been a big part of me. As small children after we were sent to bed to go to sleep my sister and I would lay in the dark telling each other stories in whispered voices.

Over the years, I’ve had many stories published in Sunday School take-home  papers. Some of these stories originated  from my own childhood experiences, or my children’s, but most of them, because of their relevancy, came into being from watching my niece’s and nephew’s antics as they grew up. When one of them would do something unique, I’d ask myself ‘what if?” then put the possibilities to paper.

I love history. Much of my time is spent reading about it. Writing Historicals is what I would expect myself to do. I did so twice. When a character caught my attention, I’d research that person until I knew him/her as well as a best friend. Of course, when I talked about them as if they were a best friend I would get a few raised eyebrows here and there.

After I finished Beyond the Purple Sky, my thoughts moved beyond history to a topic close to my heart. Bullying. Rather than telling the story through the eyes of someone trying to survive bulling, I addressed it from an adult’s pov trying to cope and live with the wounds years later. Because I used situations from my own growing up years, writing about these situations was difficult, but once I addressed them, God was able to bring a degree of healing my way.

From there, I went to a two-book suspense story dealing with the ups and downs of widowhood. Again, I sprinkled my own experiences into the narrative, and then added the ‘what if’ element to it.  

Although I haven’t thought about it before this month’s topic, I now realize I do leave a part of myself in each tale I spin. Not to do so would be like trying to make candy without sugar. For me a seed of emotion has to be planted in order to  evoke those feelings in others.

4 comments:

  1. I often use my own life experiences in my stories, too, including several from my childhood. You may have read my "story behind the story" blog that contained an excerpt from one of my short stories about a childhood bullying incident. I think most writers would admit that their stories often contain autobiographical elements. I try to plant those "seeds of emotion" in my stories that I believe will evoke the same strong feelings in my readers. You are so right, Eunice, that God uses our stories not only to heal our own hearts but the hearts of our readers, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this Eunice. Where can one read BEYOND THE PURPLE SKY?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eunice! Thank you for sharing with us. A phrase that caught my eye is, "God was able to bring a degree of healing my way." What a blessing it is to know this. Our writing too can be a beautiful blessing to us as well as our readers. Keep writing Eunice!

      Delete
  3. I find it interesting, Eunice, that you didn't fully realize how you leave a part of yourself in each story you write. You do this so naturally.

    I love the images in your conclusion. i.e. That not leaving a part of yourself in each story "would be like trying to make candy without sugar." And also when you say, "For me a seed of emotion has to be planted in order to evoke those feelings in others." I believe this to be true and therefore good advice for any of our writing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.