December 15, 2017

An Unapologetic Merry Christmas - Tracy Krauss

Perhaps you've noticed the trend to replace the words 'Merry Christmas' with  'Happy Holidays' or 'Seasons Greetings'. I have nothing against these phrases. I use them myself on occasion, and I don't feel offended when others choose to use them. In my own heart I recognize that Jesus is the 'reason for the season' and I'm not about to get militant or political about it.
On the other hand, I have come across several folks who are quite vocal about their disapproval of using the more generic phrases instead of 'Merry Christmas'. The really interesting - and somewhat ironic - thing about this is that most of the people who seem so offended don't really display a very Christian attitude the rest of the year. 
One acquaintance told me recently that when someone says 'Happy Holidays' or 'Seasons Greetings' to her, she ignores them and won't respond. Hm. I wonder... is that what Jesus would do? 
Another person explained - quite vehemently - that he lectures those who dare use a generic term rather than 'Merry Christmas'. "It's all those foreigners trying to take over our holiday!" he spouts. "I tell them where they can shove it. Go back to your own country, I say!" Yikes. Not exactly the best way to emulate the spirit of the season... with or without the word 'Christmas'. 
My husband and I watched a Christmas comedy special featuring a well-known comedian. His opening monologue included a rant about how people are afraid to use the words 'Merry Christmas' these days. He unapologetically wished the audience a 'Merry Christmas' to resounding applause. Kudos to him, I thought with a nod. Then the show proceeded to bastardize Christ by mocking the virgin birth and was full of sexual innuendo and other inappropriate content. What was the point of his opening rant if he was just going to make fun of Christ in the end?
Actions speak so much louder than words. No matter what the phraseology, we must show the love of Christ through our actions; we must be ambassadors of the good news both now and throughout the year. 'Merry Christmas' is a hollow greeting if I don't intimately know and represent the one the phrase represents. That is the true meaning of the phrase.

Tracy Krauss writes from her home in northern BC. visit her website: tracykrauss.com -fiction on the edge without crossing the line- 

5 comments:

  1. Tracy,
    It is easy to become like the pharisees. Sometimes our actions speak louder than our words. May we be positive, encouraging witnesses!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for making this valid point, Tracy. It was not, apparently, St. Francis who spoke the words, "Preach the gospel. If necessary, use words." Whoever did first speak these words was a wise and faith-full person. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this thought provoking post Tracy-it's always been a bit surprising to me as well ... I know the Christian holiday has taken ideas from pagan rituals, but the reason to celebrate Christmas is because of Christ. I was in Florida one year at Christmas time, with a great debate going on about Merry Xmas, Happy Holidays etc ... Yes we do have an ongoing challenge to keep Christ in Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the gift of your writing. Merry Christmas to you, Tracy! The best of health and happiness in 2018.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I couldn't agree more!We keep Christ in Christmas best when we act like Jesus. Getting offended and demanding that others give us our preferred greeting does not honour Jesus, who taught us to be humble and loving. Do we want to be known for our self-righteous indignation, or for our kindness and goodness to all people?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.