December 25, 2016

The Gift of a Father's Love by Vickie Stam

I have been told that I look just like my father. "You have his curly hair, his nose and his slight frame," they say. 

As often as I have heard these words, I never tire of hearing them. They are a loving reminder of a man who loves me. This man, along with my mother, helped me to become the person I am today.     

Whether it was my mother's dark brown eyes or my father's contagious smile, I have definitely inherited some of their physical features as well as some of their character traits. I can honestly say, "I am my father's daughter." I can hold down a chair for about as long as he can...not very long. Both of us like to keep moving.   

Picking my father up for our regular lunch dates is something that keeps both of us busy, at least for a little while. It has been a high light for both of us since my father suffered a stroke four years ago. 

His life changed in a single moment and I guess you could say that mine did as well. He doesn't drive anymore, but he can still walk to my car and he can get in and out of it on his own, something I wasn't sure would ever happen again. You see, he had to learn to walk again. Speaking didn't come easy for him back then either. It took two months of rehabilitation and whole lot of strength to learn the skills we had both taken for granted. But he did it! 

Now, whenever I sit across the table from him during our lunch dates I can't help but stare into his eyes. I'm reminded of all the times I saw the tears that swelled behind that sea of blue, tears that said, "I love you little girl," even though not a word slipped from his lips. I can almost feel my arms wrapping around him once again. 

I am so thankful that my father is still here with me. I tell him every time that I'm with him, just how much I love him and appreciate all the sacrifices he made for me. I tell him what a good father he is. And then I thank my heavenly father, Jesus for the wonderful gift my father is to me.  

Enjoy the love that surrounds you this Christmas.

Tell the people you love --- just how much you love them.

Most of all, be the light of Jesus to everyone you meet!

   Ephesians 5:1-2

          "Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God."
                            NIV

         

 



          




              

5 comments:

  1. It is wonderful that you can maintain such a strong relationship, Vickie. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this beautiful post-I hope we can all say of our Heavenly Dad, that we are our father's child!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Vicki, for your moving story about your relationship with your dad. It reminds me of my relationship with my own parents, who went to their eternal reward 14 days apart and 18 years ago. You are indeed blessed to be able to share this time with your father. Thanks for sharing your thankfulness to God for the special relationship and time you can spend with your dad. It is such a good reminder for all of us to spend "quality time" with our Heavenly Father as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! I can't imagine losing my parents 14 days apart. That must have been very difficult. I lost my mom in 2009 and everyday that my father is still here - I cherish.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.