November 26, 2015

Rose-Coloured Glasses by Marnie Pohlmann

Since last January when the year’s lists of prompts for this blog were shared, I have been dreading this month. The prompt is to choose a memory connected to our writing, and tell how it is a memorial for us, which is an appropriate subject for the month we commemorate Remembrance Day. However, memories are difficult for me. Childhood trauma buried most good recollections along with bad. As an older teen, some of those good memories began to return, as did flashbacks of pain. Stories told by my siblings also raised reminiscences, however good times were often bracketed by confusion. So while I could try to tell a story of how books and writing provided escape from pain, I believe it’s more helpful this month to share that God heals pain.

Shared on Facebook recently was a meme with a picture of blankets thrown over a table and chairs to make a tent. The sentiment was that as an adult we want to go back to those simple days of playing in such a shelter. I was reminded that seeing my own children play under the dining table many years ago, and not recognizing what they were very naturally doing, was the impetus for me to focus on healing from my past. And so began a journey from darkness, through memories, to learning to wear rose-coloured glasses.

If you read my post last month, you may wonder how a girl who sees most situations as glass half-empty can also wear rose-coloured glasses, but I don’t mean seeing life outside of reality. My rose-coloured glasses are God-given, developed by building memorials.

I love memorials! They are different from memories. Memorials are monuments of when we recognize God at work. Memorials can be built in celebration or in the midst of troubles, or even in the blank spaces of memory - because God is sovereign in all these times.

A definition for memorial is “a written statement of facts presented to a sovereign,” so we can take our understanding of the facts of our past or present situation to our Sovereign God. When I write a memorial like this to God, He faithfully shows me His presence and speaks into my heart.
God’s presence makes it possible for me to see not just the pain of the past, but also the blood of Christ that redeems that pain. When we know Immanuel, “God with us,” He helps us make sense of life, providing bloodstained truth about our struggles. As we take the time to build this kind of memorial, facing the hard things and testifying to God’s work in our life, the memorials become guiding lights, shining when we again find ourselves in darkness and pain. Memorials provide Hope for God’s good plan. 

Seeing life through rose-coloured glasses does not mean ignoring pain or insisting our glass is only ever full. The frame of our glasses may be coloured by the pain we have experienced, but Christ’s blood tints the lenses through which we view life. 
Our memorials light not only our own path, though. God’s light can shine from our path into the lives of others. There has been a lot in the media lately about the effects of trauma on soldiers, first responders, and refugees. When those affected are struggling in darkness, our memorials show them there is hope. Writing is how I build memorials, knowing God can use them to light the journey of others.

So I wear God-given, bloodstained, rose-coloured glasses and write memorials of God’s work in my life.

10 comments:

  1. "Memorials can be built in celebration or in the midst of troubles, or even in the blank spaces of memory..." and "So I wear God-given, bloodstained, rose-coloured glasses and write memorials of God’s work in my life." Marnie, you speak my own heart in this, and that of many others. It devastates me to hear of the pain so many of our InScribers have lived through, are living through. It's such a testimony to how God strengthens us IN the hard times, but doesn't take it all away. Only when he's working in our lives can his light shine from us to light the paths of others. You've said this well. Thank you for the reminder. Blessings, sister.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, God strengthens us IN the hard times - I feel that Christians lean toward the worldview that says to escape pain at all costs, but I see in Scripture that God leads us through (Moses), on (Peter), and even into (Jonah) the stormy seas. Best part is that He never leaves us, so walks before, behind, and with us through it all :D

      Delete
  2. "So I wear God-given, bloodstained, rose-coloured glasses" Powerful stuff Marnie -

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had purple eyeglasses before, but maybe I need to get a red pair, as an icon memorial to God's power :)

      Delete
  3. Thank you for this beautiful memorial. It has helped me immensely. God bless. Keep wearing those glasses, Marine. I will do my best to keep mine on as well. Thank you for the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not easy to see things from God's perspective, but when we do, the view is soooo much better!

      Delete
  4. Speaking as one who has also had past trauma to deal with and buried memories I just so appreciate everything you had to say here Marnie. God has given you a unique way of putting your thoughts into words...."Seeing life through rose-coloured glasses does not mean ignoring pain or insisting our glass is only ever full. The frame of our glasses may be coloured by the pain we have experienced, but Christ’s blood tints the lenses through which we view life." I have never thought of rose-coloured glasses in this way...thanks so much for that insight. I also really like your take on the difference between memories and monuments. Those of us still struggling to deal with memories and some that we don't even know about yet...can still mark the path with monuments of God's grace in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marnie,
    Thanks for sharing! I love your focus on memorials. We can't change our past, but we can take it to God.

    In the Old Testament, God commanded His people to establish memorials - physical things that would cause others to ask questions and encourage His people to share what God accomplished in and through them. I've been trying to do that with my children. They all love their personalized photo albums which are a celebration of God's goodness to them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This makes so much sense Marnie. I like your statement: "Memorials provide Hope for God's good plan." That is so true. Wonderful perspective. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is powerful writing, Marnie, with the light shining through those rose-coloured glasses with their blood-stained frames. Being faithful to the the image of your God-given, rose-coloured glasses strengthens your writing and your message. Several of us have quoted a favourite part of your story, like this one: "God’s presence makes it possible for me to see not just the pain of the past, but also the blood of Christ that redeems that pain."

    God does help us make sense of our lives. He provides "the blood-stained truth of our struggles." What a testimony, Marnie! When we write with the light of God's presence and with his Word in our hearts, we can figure out life's dilemmas, and then pass on our learning to others. May this story reach the many who need to look at life through your kind of glasses, Marnie. Amen.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.