July 24, 2015

Summer Distractions by Tandy Balson




Life in the summer is full of distractions.  They are wonderful, like going to the playground with my grandchildren or learning to kayak.  

I find when I’m doing something away from my desk the inspirations for writing flow freely.    Even something as simple as a walk through the woods brings thoughts flitting through my mind like butterflies through the wild flowers.

We were spending a few days in a campground near a lake and I had ideas for stories coming at me constantly.  It was exciting and I looked forward to sitting in the sunshine and writing them down.  That’s when the distractions took over.  

The dragonfly that landed close to me captured all of my attention.  My pen was poised over the paper but the words that had flooded my mind only moments before seemed to float away on the breeze.  

Then I heard the joyful sound of children laughing and playing.  I looked up to see what was bringing such happiness.  Soon I was engrossed in playing with my grandchildren and the writing was abandoned.

Later when all was quiet I sat down ready to put my thoughts on paper.  My husband was cooking dinner and I had no responsibilities at that moment.  The timing should have been perfect to express my creativity.  Alas, it was not to be.  The sizzle and mouth-watering aromas coming from the barbeque had me thinking of my stomach instead of the words that had been in my mind only moments before.

I soon realized that I only needed to jot down a few thoughts in a journal.  They would be the prompts waiting for me to expand upon at a later time. 

Once I was back in my quiet writing area the distractions were gone and my earlier thoughts resurfaced. I was more prolific than ever before.

I am learning that I need to relax and go with the flow.  Being rigid with my writing schedule does not work for me when there are adventures that can only be experienced in this short summer season. 
 
This is the time to soak up the sun as I sit in my lounge chair and enjoy reading engaging books by several of our talented InScribe  authors.  The writing will be there for me when I come back inside.  For now, I’m going to enjoy the summer.

www.timewithtandy.com

6 comments:

  1. It certainly is difficult to focus on writing in the summer. So many wonderful distractions. Enjoy the sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your point is well described, Tandy. The lives of writers have to be about a different kind of balance. And in the summer, the scales often tip to the activity side. But that's okay. Living needs to take priority over writing about living.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:54 am GMT-7

    I believe that adventures are absolutely necessary to be a writer! May you continue to have engaging moments for the rest of the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful post, Tandy. I liked Bobbi's comment that 'Living needs to take priority over writing about living'. So true. Enjoy all those distractions, guilt free!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, so much to enjoy about the summer. Sound like you are learning to enjoy it without writing pressure. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that someone else takes pictures of dragonflies, and other "distractions"! Maybe that's a trait of being a writer, being sensitive to all that is going on around you? Enjoy this short season, Tandy!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.