October 18, 2024

Vulnerability in One’s Writer’s Voice by Alan Anderson


 

 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”--- Matthew 11:28-30 (NIV)

 

 

The online Cambridge Dictionary describes “vulnerability” in the following way:

 

Vulnerability: “the quality of being vulnerable (= able to be easily hurt, influenced, or attacked), or something that is vulnerable:”

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/vulnerable

 


Vulnerability in a Question

 

This writer is forever thankful to God for the book The Wounded Healer by Henri J. M. Nouwen. Nouwen poses a thought-provoking question at the beginning of the book and answers it throughout its pages. The question is, “What does it mean to be a minister in contemporary society?” 

(Nouwen, Henri J.M., The Wounded Healer: Ministry in Contemporary Society (Image Doubleday, New York, 1972), p. 3.

 


A major contributor to the development of my voice as a writer was The Wounded Healer, written in 1972. The question Henri Nouwen asks still encourages a response from ministers and other servant-leaders today.

 

Allow me to offer a few brief points on how I answered and reflected on Nouwen’s question.

 

A question to invite vulnerable answers

 

Nouwen’s question intrigues me to this day, years after I read his book. For the sake of this blog post, I thought I would put a little spin on his question.

 

What does it mean to be a writer who is also a Christian in contemporary society?

 

My friends, free your minds to give thought to your answers. What does your call as a writer mean to you? What do the words eager to jump from your brain on to a page want to say to the world, your readers?

 

Here are a few suggestions I offer for your consideration.

 

Write as a “Wounded Healer.”

 

In his reference to Christian ministers, Henri Nouwen notes a particular image in focus throughout his answers to his original question. The image is that of the minister as “the wounded healer.” This is he or she who is aware of one’s vulnerability, one’s woundedness in coming alongside people who suffer. In short, servant-leaders are to recognize themselves as those who also suffer.

 

Every time I sit down to write, I write as a wounded healer. My own experiences of suffering teach me to bring hope to other people who suffer. The call of a Christian writer in the world we live is that of a wounded healer. We suffer, therefore, for the sake of our readers, we write with vulnerability. Our vulnerability brings authenticity, not weakness, to our words.

 

Vulnerability shows honesty in one’s words.

 

While dictionaries portray vulnerability as weakness, one can also harness this “weakness” as a strength. Vulnerability allows us as writers to be unashamed about emotions and the words we commit to a page. Our words can evoke tears, giggles, and deep thoughts. They represent us as writers.

 

Whatever I write, in all its vulnerability, is based on an honest observation of life. Honesty realizes the value vulnerability brings to the words one sends into the world of readers.

 

Vulnerability in one’s writing brings hope

 

A hope I pray for my writing is readers will use my words to wrap around themselves and know they are not alone. This is reason enough to show vulnerability on the page. Vulnerability makes us aware of our limitations and dependence on God’s mercy and grace.

 

Vulnerability in our writing has a hope to wrap our arms around the souls of our readers. The Lord Jesus promised He gives rest to our souls. This blessed rest allows us as writers to show genuine vulnerability in our words to reach the souls of our readers.

 

 

My friends, to write as a wounded healer is honest, hope laden, and shows vulnerability. May it be so with all of us.

 

 


Alan lives in a small village called Deroche, British Columbia, with his wife, Terry, and their poodle, Charlie. He enjoys walking on the dike near his home with trees all around, where he finds inspiration for his writing. He occasionally writes articles for FellowScript Magazine and is a regular contributor to the InScribe Christian Writers’ Fellowship blog. Alan is the new BC/Northern Regional Rep. for InScribe. His website is https://scarredjoy.ca.


20 comments:

  1. Thanks for this, Alan. You always make yourself vulnerable to your readers and I think that is one of the things that lends your writing such charm - your honesty. My post for next week is also on vulnerability, but I think it compliments yours and shares a different perspective, so I don't think we're in competition! Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tracy. I look forward to your post and to your perspective. Never competition, but compatibility, my friend. :)

      Delete
  2. Amen, dear Alan, to your words of hope today.
    I echo this prayer of yours: "A hope I pray for my writing is readers will use my words to wrap around themselves and know they are not alone."
    Hope is what draws me into a book and keeps me there until the last page. Wonderful post!
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. H i Wendy! There is always a place for hope. As Christians, we are heralds of hope. Blessings to you, Wendy.

      Delete
  3. I, too, loved that book of Henri Nouwen's. So much wisdom in it. I love your counsel to write as wounded healers. Along with Wendy above, I pray this with you: "A hope I pray for my writing is readers will use my words to wrap around themselves and know they are not alone." Amen. Blessings and thank you, Alan, for sharing today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your encouragement, Brenda. I like to know we are in this life together to bring hope to people. We can all make a difference in giving hope to our readers and other people.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous3:26 pm GMT-7

    Wow Awesome Alan Vulnerability in writing. What you say echoes in my heart as I pray that within my children’s books I so want to be published God willing That children will find some comfort some joy some I know that could happen to me within. Thank you a brother in Christ. Wow awesome

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep writing, Maureen. Take your time when you comment. Stay true to your craft and bathe the words of your books in prayer. Thank you for taking time to comment, my friend.

      Delete
  5. Anonymous3:27 pm GMT-7

    Maureen EKowal was soeaking

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous3:28 pm GMT-7

    I type tooo fast. Maureen E Kowal. Tripping over her comment sigh

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Alan, for reminding me just how vital vulnerability is to touch the heart of a fellow sojourner. Wonderful as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sharon, we are sojourners together and encourage each other along the way, dear friend.

      Delete
  8. Thank you, Alan. I will look for Nouwen's book. Vulnerability is what I'll be writing about in next week's post, too. Love the concept of a wounded healer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Lorrie, please do read The Wounded Healer. In Nouwen's writing, you can tell he had been with people and loved them. I am looking forward to your post and to what you will say. Tracy's post is on vulnerability, as well.

      Delete
  9. Michelle Strutzenberger9:35 am GMT-7

    Thank you so much Alan. I found a measure of healing just in reading this post. God bless you richly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Michelle, we are in this life together. I am always thankful to the Lord when we can encourage each other through what we write here. I pray your healing continues, my friend.

      Delete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous3:38 am GMT-7

    All has been said in the words above I just say thank you for the reminder Brenda Wood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking the time to comment, Brenda. Blessings to you.

      Delete
  12. I'm late in commenting, but hearty in agreement. Thank you for always sharing from your heart in your writing, Alan. From your own healed wounds come words of wisdom, comfort and encouragement. Writing with vulnerability is a rare treasure in a world where men are not encouraged to share their feelings openly. I'm glad you have the freedom to do so!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.