October 09, 2024

Vocabulary or Voice ... or Both by Joylene M Bailey

 


Words are our most inexhaustible source of magic.
J.K. Rowling

*****

According to Stephen King, it's always best to use the first word that comes to mind. If you make yourself use words outside of your regular vocabulary, you risk weakening your authentic voice.

My question to that is ... what if your regular vocabulary is already weak? Your voice might end up being authentic, but would the writing be compelling?

My entire writing life has included a quest to expand my vocabulary so that the first word that comes to mind is my authentic voice. Roget's Thesaurus is my best friend. If I hadn't met him I'd still be writing sentences like this: One very dark night a very small girl with very nice green eyes ate a very big steak and said, "That was easy."

Instead, I've learned to write sentences like this: One gloomy night, a diminutive girl with striking green eyes ate an enormous steak and said, "That was effortless."

In my opinion, the second sentence, silly though it may be, is more interesting than the first.

I wouldn't want to write in any voice but my own. But that voice needs to have a strong vocabulary if I want what I write to be worth reading. 

Would you agree? I'd like to know ... how do you enhance your vocabulary, or is that something you never consciously do? 

*****

Feature photo by Pixabay



Joy writes from lake country, Alberta, where she and The Cowboy, one dog, and two cats, are currently entertaining three lively grandsons. Find more of her joy-infused writing at Scraps of Joy.



16 comments:

  1. Like you, Joy, I'm always on the search for finding better ways, stronger words to express exactly what I want to say. I love my thesaurus. I love that chase of finding the best word to describe something. I so agree when you say, "I wouldn't want to write in any voice but my own. But that voice needs to have a strong vocabulary if I want what I write to be worth reading." Ha - I even find myself these days, in regular conversations, letting my mind search for bolder, better words to express myself. It helps me be more articulate.

    Your short post has given us a lot to think about. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do the same when I'm in regular conversations. haha Thanks, Brenda.

      Delete
  2. Great thoughts, dear Joy. I love how you still agree that using our authentic voice is the best choice, but you strive to improve your vocabulary so that your writing is more interesting.
    I read a lot. Good readers make better writers. And wise writers stay curious about new-to-them words so that they eventually become part of their authentic voice.
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, reading really enhances our writing. Thanks, Wendy!

      Delete
  3. Great post about finding the right words, Joy. My thesaurus is about worn out and even though I have other newer models I always return to the one that’s falling apart. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've had to tape my thesaurus back together on a few occasions myself!

      Delete
  4. Anonymous2:18 pm GMT-7

    Thanks for encouraging us to enhance both our vocabulary AND our voice Joy. Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  5. A simple and exquisite post, Joy. Like you, I like to search out words and build my vocabulary. Today, just before I looked up your post, I examined strong verbs and other words hoping they would enable my writing to be more compelling. Your message spurs me on to enhance my vocabulary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alan. I love that word, exquisite. I know we're supposed to use strong verbs, but I do love a strong adjective. :)

      Delete
  6. Anonymous5:06 pm GMT-7

    I do the same thing, and seek variety in my writing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with you, Joylene and I would say your writing is compelling. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on "Vocabulary and Voice," and for making us consider how or why our word choices determine our voice. We don't have to use a big or unfamiliar word, but we need to choose words that have the right nuance. Just as a specific colour may have several, or even many different shades, a particular word can have several synonyms, but I like to use the word that is precise and has the right nuance for what I want to say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the comment - I wish I knew your name . Your mention of specific colours and shades reminds me that art in all its forms has so many similarities.

      Delete
  8. Bob Jones3:26 pm GMT-7

    Broad vocabulary + authentic voice = compelling writing. Reading and looking up the meaning of words is another great practice for developing vocab.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.