October 02, 2024

V is for Volumes ~ by Brenda J. Wood


I was abused at age eleven. Over time this developed into a serious eating disorder…Bulimia. I ate up to 50,000 calories at a sitting. (A very short sitting, I might add!)  And then I made myself sick to get rid of the food. (P.S. It does not help with weight loss!)

1 in 3 women have been abused and 1 in 5 men. We eat because of our shame and we throw up because of our guilt. For sixteen years, I was trapped in this addictive cycle.

Finally, someone told me about Jesus, the Son of God. He died on the cross for me, crucified for my sins. All I had to do was ask forgiveness for my sins and ask him to come into my life.

My life changed in so many ways but the Bulimia didn’t! I became an author, public speaker, and TV personality. God never once brought up my eating disorder. Then about four years later, it suddenly occurred to me that bulimia might be a sin.

I was on my way to do a segment with Jayne Pritchard at CKVR. I said to her, "I thought we might talk about Bulimia today… and I know of which I speak. Because I am one." Jayne was speechless. I thought I would have to finish the show by myself.

That’s why writing has been so important to me. I needed structure, control, deadlines, and encouragement and I found it in pen and paper. My yearly word is always ‘persevering’ because that is what I have learned to do.

I started to journal because I heard that writing helped you get over abuse. So, 61 journals later, I still write…everything, everywhere. I take notes in meetings, in church, and in Weight Watcher classes. I write everywhere I am because writing saved my life.

This writing has resulted in more than 50 published books, including a couple of award winners.  One is my Bulimia story, Meeting Myself and the other is The Pregnant Pause of Grief, written in the first 3 months after my husband died.

Truth comes out in writing. I say to you write, write your thoughts, write healing, write anything…If you are interested in more, look up Morning Pages and start writing them. I write and I persevere, because I know it works.


Brenda J. Wood has authored more than fifty books. She is a seasoned motivational speaker, who declares the Word of God with wisdom, humour, and common sense.

10 comments:

  1. Oh wow, Brenda, you are a lovely example of how a person can take a horrid thing that's happened to her and show how creative work of writing turned it around for good. "I write everywhere I am because writing saved my life." I admire your resilience and thank God for your testimony. And thank goodness for the creative gift of writing... for those of us who write and for those to whom we write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous3:47 am GMT-7

      Thank you, Brenda for taking the time to read and encourage me Brenda Wood

      Delete
  2. Amen, dear Brenda, to the healing benefits of writing.
    I'm so grateful God rescues and heals His children when we trust in Him.
    Through the prayers of my 1983 Bible study group and through journaling, God delivered me of anorexia and bulimia. He's such a good Father. We're so loved.
    Blessings, my sister.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous3:47 am GMT-7

      Hello my fellow suffer. Yes, it takes time but God is willing if we are willing thank you Brenda Wood.

      Delete
  3. A resounding YES to what you said about writing in any and every circumstance. Write, write, write! Writing is therapy and writing can bring encouragement and joy to someone else. Well said my friend. Thank you for your bravery and transparency.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous3:48 am GMT-7

      Rating the therapy of our minds thank you so much, Brenda Wood

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful example of the power of writing. Thank you for sharing your story and the healing that God brings to his children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous3:49 am GMT-7

      Yes, Lori. rating is our truth And God’s way of healing Brenda

      Delete
  5. Thanks, Brenda, for your down to earth honesty. Your writing is a blessing to many. Including me. Thanks for tackling the ‘tough stuff’ with candor. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brenda, thank you for sharing your story and how writing saved you. I come from a bit of a different perspective ...having to watch my daughter suffer with an eating disorder. She also journalled through it. And my journaling came in the form of letters written to prayer warriors who I knew were praying when I had no more words. And, as a post script, my daughter is now completely free of the disorder. Praise the Lord.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.