October 15, 2024

It Takes a Village by Carol Harrison

 


V is for Village

There is a popular saying that it takes a village to raise a child. I have been thinking that as writers which is a solitary endeavour, we also need a village around us. We need that small, tight-knit community of people who are supportive and encouraging.

I’m fortunate and blessed to have family and friends who are part of my village. With my writing and life in general I’ve been blessed with people who encourage me through tough times and the good ones too. I found a writing village when I found Inscribe Christian Writers’ Fellowship. I also connected with some of the local Christian writers in the Saskatoon area.

Over the years I have been encouraged during conferences and Wordshops, articles in FellowScript, and blog posts on both the pro blog and the Inscribe writers on line. I find support, help, encouragement, and compassion. Everyone made me feel like I belonged and my writing had value to add encouragement to others.

The Bible tells us in Hebrews 10:24-25, “And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds Not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another – and all the more as you see the Day approaching.”

1 Thessalonians 5: 11 & 14 says, (11) “Encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing. (14And we urge you, brothers and sisters, warn those who are idle and disruptive, encourage the disheartened, help the weak, be patient with everyone.”

We don’t write in a vacuum. Life events, people we meet and interact with, our past and current circumstanced all impact each of us and therefore our writing. When you have a blank page staring back at you, words and ideas hide, who encourages you? Who is part of your village? I am grateful that as a member of Inscribe, I have amazing people as part of my village. Thank you so much to all of you. 

 

Carol Harrison feels blessed to have so many encouraging people in her life for everyday happenings and writing too.
 

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, dear Carol, for reminding us to be part of a faith and writing community. You shared the perfect Scripture verses too.
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true! i also love that your "village" includes three generations. That was so special!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.