July 09, 2024

STILL by Joylene M Bailey

 



***


It's been a very warm and busy day. 

Traces of trauma linger ...

Now, the evening is still.

Still, I must still my mind, which still stirs restlessly.


***


It's been a very warm and busy day.

Traces of trauma linger ...

Now, the evening is calm, motionless, quiet.

Nevertheless, I must make quiet my mind, which, so far, stirs restlessly.


Settle

Shush

Smooth

Soothe

Soundless

Serene


Motionless

Noiselessness

Soundlessness

Quietness

Stillness

Peace 

Be still


And He arose, and rebuked the wind, and said unto the sea, Peace, be still. And the wind ceased, and there was a great calm. [Mark 4:39, KJV]


He stilled the sea; He can still my mind, my inner being.


For the Lord GOD, the Holy One of Israel, has said: "In repentance and rest you will be saved,

In quietness and trust is your strength." [Isaiah 30:15, NASB]


Stillness leads to strength.


And never forget ...

He who watches over Israel

Will neither slumber nor sleep. [Psalm 121:4, NASB]

***


Here is a beautiful song to help you be still.


**********


Joy encounters stillness at home in lake country, Alberta, where she lives with The Cowboy. Find more of her joy-infused writing at Scraps of Joy   If you've been praying for her grandson, Deklan, who underwent three brain surgeries last month you may like to know that he's now home and continuing with outpatient care. Every day he's a little better, and an MRI scheduled for July 24 will show how far he's come. Thank you for praying. 

Feature Image by Reza Askari from Pixabay

13 comments:

  1. Thank you, dear Joy, for perfectly painting what it feels like to crave serenity in the midst of uncertainty and grief.

    Oh, my, this reminds me of when my dad died in 1998. I finally fell asleep by reciting part of a scripture verse to myself over and over again: "I am His and He is mine." -- That's what these troubled waters of life boil down to.
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy, thanks for your comment. And I'm sorry for the loss of your dad. "I am His and He is mine" are perfect soothing words.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous2:31 pm GMT-7

    So needed. Thanks, Joy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poignant and lovely, Joy. I feel the calm and peace settle as the poem ends.

    Your post reminds of my own favourite words for a restless and unsettled mind and heart. They come from Isaiah 26:3, the old King James version, "Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on Thee."

    Holding you and your dear family close in my heart! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that verse, Brenda. Thanks so much for your comment and your prayers.

      Delete
  4. So absolutely lovely, a soul soother, and a reminder of God-sent comfort. I love stillness. Joy, you seem to know how to send words into the world to remind us of what matters.
    Dear Lord, in Your abundant mercy and love hear our prayers for Deklan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alan, as always, your comments fill my heart and make me smile. Thank you.

      Delete
  5. Michelle Strutzenberger1:14 pm GMT-7

    I find my heart calming as I read and reread this, both your words and the Scripture verses. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a wonderful comment. Thank you, Michelle.

      Delete
  6. Wonderful words that pierce the darkness and steady the heart. Thank you, Joy. Continuing prayers for Deklan and for you all.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.