July 16, 2024

S is for Steeped by Lorilee Guenter


To steep something is to let it change the water it is in. Those who enjoy a good cup of tea know that the longer you leave the tea bag in the water, the stronger the tea. The water takes the flavor and aroma of the tea. I enjoy herbal teas, which don't have bitter undertones, and have been known to leave the tea bag in the water overnight. The flavour is strong. The aroma permeates not just the water but the room.

We are called to be imitators of Christ (Eph. 5:1-2). In order to do that, we need to let Him permeate our lives. We need to be steeped in His presence. The more time we spend in prayer and reading (listening) to God's word, the more we take on the characteristics of Christ. His aroma permeates our lives. We become saturated in God's love and faithfulness until we overflow with praise. We become a fragrant offering to God. Beyond that, the character God is refining in our lives influences everything we do. It spills out into our families and our communities. As writers, it also spills out across the page. 

Once I've brewed coffee, or steeped tea, I can no longer separate the flavour from the water. Likewise, when we become steeped in God, immersed in His Word, we are changed. We are His and we are told nothing can separate us from His hand (Romans 8:38-39). We are changed and that change can not be undone. 

As I choose my words,  spoken or written, I recognise they are influenced by how I spend my time. My response to the events of the day are a result of my ongoing choices. Today, I choose to let Christ permeate my words and actions. It is my prayer that each day I make that choice to be steeped in God's love and instruction. 

May our lives be a fragrant aroma as we become imitators of Christ.


"but whose delight is in the law of the Lord,    and who meditates on his law day and night." Psalm 1:2

8 comments:

  1. Amen, dear Lorilee, and thank you for your fragrant-with-grace words. Wonderful post.
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Lorilee, thank you for this wonderful reminder of the seriousness of our calling as writers. I love this line, "As I choose my words, spoken or written, I recognise they are influenced by how I spend my time." Your words also help me to show caution in how I live my life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:39 pm GMT-7

    Thank you so much. I appreciate these reminders Brenda Wood.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michelle Strutzenberger6:11 pm GMT-7

    I love this! Thank you - a beautiful encouragement to choose to be steeped in Christ so we exude His aroma in every part of our lives. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Valerie Ronald8:12 am GMT-7

    This is a beautiful metaphor, Lorilee. Thoughtful and well-written. I love tea too, so now I will remember the benefits of being "steeped" in Christ whenever I have a cup. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the metaphor of steeping as related to my relationship with Christ. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for this wonderful post, Lorilee. I love this section. “We need to be steeped in His presence. The more time we spend in prayer and reading (listening) to God's word, the more we take on the characteristics of Christ. His aroma permeates our lives. We become saturated in God's love and faithfulness until we overflow with praise. We become a fragrant offering to God. Beyond that, the character God is refining in our lives influences everything we do. It spills out into our families and our communities. As writers, it also spills out across the page.” Lovely.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.